Rangers vs Motherwell LC Semi

The_Kincardine

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

That's largely how I view it. The play-off had pretty far reaching ramifications for us had we not bodied them in such style. A LC semi-final loss, won't come close to having the same sort of potential impact. Similarly a LC semi-final win, whilst nice, pretty much is what it is.

I would agree with that in the sense that losing on Sunday will not have the same impact as had we lost the playoffs, but winning it would eclipse it, for me anyway. Given that there is a Cup Final place at stake in one of the three major competitions in Scottish football and who it is against, should we win on Sunday it would be our best result since we won the 2005 Semi against Hearts in the same competition. I've never bought into this attitude that the League Cup is the 'diddy cup', it's a domestic cup competition which carries a major honour in the Scottish game and winning it would be incredible.

6 hours ago, Desp said:

Morelos, in short time here, has shown two things - he can score goals and he's got a short temper. Looks like the Motherwell players will be out trying to wind him up from the start.

I haven't actually seen any evidence that Morelos has a particularly short temper. Just seems to be something people say.

2 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

It also wouldn’t eclipse getting to the Scottish Cup final in 2011.

Getting to the final, or specifically winning the semi was an anti-climax, the game was over at half time, no tension, it was quite a strange feeling.

22 minutes ago, ropy said:

Getting to the final, or specifically winning the semi was an anti-climax, the game was over at half time, no tension, it was quite a strange feeling.

Yeah that was a strange game that. We were 3-0 up and basically never kicked another ball for the rest of the game and ultimately, the rest of the season.

The 2011 final was a horrible experience for me and the term 'damp squib' is the only way I can describe it. I think a lot of that can be put down to us not kicking a ball from the 1st half of the St.Johnstone semi - we didn't win another game that season and conceded 20 + goals to something like 5 in the last few games losing 0-4, 0-5 & 0-4 in the process - and thus nobody really believed we would do anything in the final, especially with the whole Celtic/Lennon/parcel bomb/candlelit vigil shitstorm that was raging over the country at the time. Then you add the day of the final, the pissing rain, the club run bus fiasco before and after the game on top of the 3-0 defeat and you had all the ingredients of an occasion you'd rather forget. I've never watched the highlights from that day back and never will.

If we go to Hampden this Sunday, beat Rangers with them having the majority of the crowd and knock them out of a domestic Cup for the first time in God knows how many years whilst qualifying for a Cup Final, no one but no one will be telling me that the Scottish Cup Semi Final win over St.Johnstone was a better result for our club.

2 hours ago, thepundit said:

I haven't actually seen any evidence that Morelos has a particularly short temper. Just seems to be something people say.

I think Morelos seems quite a genial young man so this 'square go' shite is a mystery to me.  Maybe Hartley is confusing him with Pena, who is definitely a less-pleasant character.

Interested in Sunday's selection.  I assume Alnwick will be in goal as it's a cup game.  This isn't a bad thing.  I'd also be inclined to pair McCrorie with Bruno at the back.  Cardoso has too much of the Danny Wilson about him.

I think Alnwick will start and he's played well when called upon. Not sure I'd play McCrorie instead of Cardoso though. For all the hype he has made mistakes in the games he's played. I'm not convinced he's ready for the first team just yet.

Yeah that was a strange game that. We were 3-0 up and basically never kicked another ball for the rest of the game and ultimately, the rest of the season.
The 2011 final was a horrible experience for me and the term 'damp squib' is the only way I can describe it. I think a lot of that can be put down to us not kicking a ball from the 1st half of the St.Johnstone semi - we didn't win another game that season and conceded 20 + goals to something like 5 in the last few games losing 0-4, 0-5 & 0-4 in the process - and thus nobody really believed we would do anything in the final, especially with the whole Celtic/Lennon/parcel bomb/candlelit vigil shitstorm that was raging over the country at the time. Then you add the day of the final, the pissing rain, the club run bus fiasco before and after the game on top of the 3-0 defeat and you had all the ingredients of an occasion you'd rather forget. I've never watched the highlights from that day back and never will.
If we go to Hampden this Sunday, beat Rangers with them having the majority of the crowd and knock them out of a domestic Cup for the first time in God knows how many years whilst qualifying for a Cup Final, no one but no one will be telling me that the Scottish Cup Semi Final win over St.Johnstone was a better result for our club.

I will. Losing a Scottish Cup final is a better achievement than losing the League Cup final.

12 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

I will. Losing a Scottish Cup final is a better achievement than losing the League Cup final.

There is no achievement in losing any final, no matter what the competition is.

That wasn't what I said though. I said that WINNING against Rangers on Sunday in the League Cup Semi Final will be a better achievement than WINNING against St.Johnstone in the 2011 Scottish Cup Semi Final. You may disagree but that is how I see it and I'm damn sure that the vast majority of the support will see it that way too.

If a sevco player had made those comments.....

Pretty sure a Motherwell fan account wouldn't have Tweeted about getting the compliance officer involved. You lot have clearly overtaken Celtic in the oppressed victims stakes. You've turned into a bunch of whiney wee bitches. "No on likes us, I'm telling on you."

14 minutes ago, ropy said:

What was the question that this was his answer to?

It's been quite illuminating over the past few years, where Motherwell have shown the full press conferences on the Youtube channel. When you see the questions asked, the player/manager answer and then the angle taken in the various articles when they are published, you understand the process quite well. I think it's fair to say that footballers are not often very interesting and are trained to say nothing controversial - so any little quotable line or hint of controversy will be gobbled up by the hacks (and you can't blame them).

Mostly, we get very fair treatment in the press - the only time where the over-sensationalised stuff comes in is where Rangers and Celtic are involved. Given the comedy grievance culture that the fans of both clubs seem to revel in, editors know that OF clickbait is the best clickbait (just  look at the "most popular" column on a scottish news website) and will publish anything that mentions one of the OF. 

With that in mind - Hartley's quotes were manna from heaven, regardless of the overall context or if he said it with a grin on his face - which should be a lesson learned for him.

Archived