Why so few games

auld yin wae knowledge

Now I know its the Glasgow September weekend [ not a holiday weekend in paisley, Greenock and other areas ] is that why they are few games this Saturday or is it to do with the old firm game......................surely not or it has come the day when amateur games are cancelled to suit players..........

Probably a bit of both. We played last night in the West instead of Saturday mainly due to the September weekend ( suited both teams for the game to be switched to Thursday ) but I didn't hear many complaints from the lads whe weren't going away who will be quite happy that there getting to watch the old firm game. Just the way it is nowadays.

In my experience guys would happily play earlier in the day or the night before if both teams agree in order to see the old firm game. It's a fact coz the majority of players at teams have some kinda connection to the old firm

Whilst it always happens I think players should worry more about their own team, even if it's "only" amateur, than the OF.

When I played you just wanted to play every week, was gutted if a game was called off due to weather or whatever. Even these days if 5 a sides gets pulled I'm raging.

I think that Septrember Weekend falling on the same weekend as the Old Firm game let a lot of teams off  the hook. Our league stated at the start off the season, that there would be no free weeks granted on Old Firm weekends. Our club were willing to play, and our players were told if we had a fixture and they chose to go to the OF game instead, then dont bother coming back.

Its a hard one this weekend TBH, think some are grateful for having no game due to the old firm, but some are also away with family due to the holiday. The difficulty with free weeks issued by the league is, how can they decide when teams can and cannot use them? What if a wedding etc fell on an old firm day and a team wasn't permitted a free week for that? would an exception be granted? if so, what's the point in saying no free weeks when it is old firm games!? Times like this i would hate to be a match sec!! haha

Teams are given free weeks and should be allowed to use it for whatever they want !

In Ayrshire it is the sept weekend, so plenty ppl on holiday etc. It's also the ayr races so plenty teams make that their Day out or some clubs miss players due to lads days out or work days out at the races, plus it's the old firm.

We talk most weeks about teams folding due to lack of commitment from players so to me if a club has the foresight to ask for a free week to either allow players to watch an old firm or in prep of not being able to futile a fixture coz lack of numbers due to lack of player commitment then I say well done to the clubs !

Totally agree with Bridgewater and Eyeswideopen. OF game just happened to coincide with September weekend and ayr races! If you go to the races you will find the majority of the Ayrshire teams there using it as their day out or bonding session. I for one don't agree with asking for or been given free weeks because OF are playing and I'm a Celtic fan! But it is September weekend and am sure guys with families will want too spend that time with family whilst everyone is off work and school surely? 

Archived