Staggies v Hibees, whether we like it or not.

My apologies, fellow Staggies, for bringing this up... but another week, another football fixture is indeed up-coming. Such is life.

I feel better about this than I did ahead of the Thistle game for some reason - though I hasten to add I in no way feel 'good' about it.

I'm not the most tactically-minded of football fans, and not very good either at spotting what is going on in a game. I'm not very familiar with the Hibs team, or how to match up against them. Actually, before I go any further let me clarify - NO, I'M NOT JIM MCINTYRE. Anyway, taking all the above into account, I'm asking for a 4-4-2, roughly as follows:

FOX

OUR STRONGEST BACK 4

GARDYNE   DRAPER      SOMEONE        KEILLOR-DUNN

MCKAY (If he's fit enough for a start)  CURRAN

I'd settle for another draw.

Quick, somebody rescue this thread.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, The Great Stagsby said:

My apologies, fellow Staggies, for bringing this up... but another week, another football fixture is indeed up-coming. Such is life.

I feel better about this than I did ahead of the Thistle game for some reason - though I hasten to add I in no way feel 'good' about it.

I'm not the most tactically-minded of football fans, and not very good either at spotting what is going on in a game. I'm not very familiar with the Hibs team, or how to match up against them. Actually, before I go any further let me clarify - NO, I'M NOT JIM MCINTYRE. Anyway, taking all the above into account, I'm asking for a 4-4-2, roughly as follows:

FOX

OUR STRONGEST BACK 4

GARDYNE   DRAPER      SOMEONE        KEILLOR-DUNN

MCKAY (If he's fit enough for a start)  CURRAN

I'd settle for another draw.

Quick, somebody rescue this thread.

I am delighted that we have at last found SOMEONE for our midfield. Hopefully, we can  dust down ANYONE who can finish up front.

Gray most likely will be out injured so Whittaker is going to have to jog around at right back in his absence. If County shell the ball at our box they’ll get some joy from our defence.

Think we’ll go with...

Marciano

Whittaker
Ambrose
Hanlon
Stevenson

McGeough
Bartley
McGinn

Boyle
Stokes
Swanson

I thought we had the better of things in the Cup earlier in the season. There's no reason we can't get the win here. We'll need to improve big time defensively though. I'm not convinced our defenders have suddenly turned shite, I think the problem is there hasn't been a settled back 4. Gray Efe Hanlon and Stevenson will get a run together now with others being out injured, which will help. 

Stokes and Boyle look our main threat going forward. 

17 hours ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

I thought we had the better of things in the Cup earlier in the season

Without much kind of penetration in the 18 yard box.   Hibs have more and better options since then.

Boyle vs Kelly was a bit of a mis-match last time, even if most of the play was on the other side.  I think it will be a key battle here.

I think Barker is a good player but I hope he plays.  Naismith is generally v good with his duels but he was run ragged in the LC match, because with McGeouch tucking in from the left Swanson and McGinn sometimes going out, Naismith had a tough choice on sticking or twisting and it stretched the team's shape.  If Naismith had an out-and-out winger to play against then it would be a more straightforward contest for him to defend.

Team as per Stagsby, probably trying Jim O'Brien next to Draper, but O'Brien still needs to show he is a CM in a midfield two.  I still think his best position is tucking in from the right in a lop-sided 4-4-2, which gives Naismith the space to surge into as well and also gives Kelly a bit more protection and experience on the other side in Gardyne.  If Keillor-Dunn is injured from the Celtic game then it's an easy choice to make.

I want to see Curran and Mckay tried out together, but Mckay's 60 mins in the DL suggests he'll be on the bench again.

ETA: The discussion on the back page of the P&J about Keillor-Dunn makes me think there isn't a problem about his availability for this match.  

Gray most likely will be out injured so Whittaker is going to have to jog around at right back in his absence. If County shell the ball at our box they’ll get some joy from our defence.

Think we’ll go with...

Marciano

Whittaker
Ambrose
Hanlon
Stevenson

McGeough
Bartley
McGinn

Boyle
Stokes
Swanson

Whittaker was decent at right back vs Patrick when Gray was injured (outwith the goal)

I agree with everyone re McGeough, we're a far better team with him in it dictating our play and tempo. I think his injuries must come into Lennons consideration, making sure he doesn't play too many consecutive games etc, because he surely can't be the only one that doesn't see how much better we are with McGeough?

I'm also starting to find it hard to defend Ambrose now, he hasn't won a fucking header this season. Even against Livi he was all over the place at times. Porteous has got to get a chance at some point if he continues like this.  

Swanson in for Murray and I'm confident we'll score though, Hibs win 3-2. 

Also looking forward to wiping out half a months wages on train fares,  ticket prices and beve. 

Archived