Stenhousemuir -vs- Berwick Rangers

The two biggest teams in the division meet face to face on Saturday. This will be the first league match between the sides in over 10 years and I, for one, can't wait.

I can't pretend to know a lot about this Berwick Rangers team. They've either been very good (last weekend's fantastic comeback, for instance) or terrible (the 5-1 bleaching from Annan Athletic) but, for all their inconsistencies, they're still level on points with us. Even so, this is a match we should be looking to win and I believe we should have enough to see off the Wee Gers. We just have to be more clinical, as the lack of ruthlessness has cost us about four points (away games with Clyde and Annan).

I can't imagine there will be any surprises from the Warriors:

- Mark McGuigan - Jamie Longworth -

- Jimmy Scott - Mark Ferry - Harry Paton - Nathan Blockley -

- Ruaridh Donaldson - Mick Dunlop - Ross Dunlop - Ross Meechan -

- Chris Smith -

I think we'll take the three points from this game. I'd be disappointed with anything less.

Quietly confident of us taking 3 points from this. Defence is gelling; we don't look like conceding many goals at all. Problem has been that we can't punish teams when we are on top, which has been the case in most matches we've played, including the first game against Stirling. 

Should be a good turnout from Berwick with a bus coming up for this clash between superclubs. Whether those fans actually watch the game will be dependent on whether they're allowed in the terrace or not. If not, Stenny will be doing themselves out of many hundreds of pounds worth of gate revenue.

Berwick to win 1-0, Murrell with the brace.

1 hour ago, A Believer said:

Distinct lack of posting; as we lost, can someone at least confirm that the home-made sausage rolls are still utterly mind blowingly wonderful!

You can't concede the goals berwick are conceding in the manner they are and expect to win games. 

Don't know the possession/chances stats for first half, but I'd imagine similar. However, one team is winning 2-0. 

The goals conceded are way too easy.

I thought Berwick were alright. Loads of possession but we have a pretty solid back line which they didn't really come close to breaching. At last we were able to get that 2nd goal which made things a little easier.

Great goal from McGuigan. This could be a great season for him. Second half we missed a fair few chances which could have made it more emphatic, but happy with that today.

6 minutes ago, beaver1 said:

I thought Berwick were alright. Loads of possession but we have a pretty solid back line which they didn't really come close to breaching. At last we were able to get that 2nd goal which made things a little easier.

Great goal from McGuigan. This could be a great season for him. Second half we missed a fair few chances which could have made it more emphatic, but happy with that today.

I agree, but the first goal comes from a meat and drink straight 40 yard ball for centre halves and the second is an og from a corner. 

It makes it a completely different game.

ie here's a 2 goal lead, go play..

Not having  a go, just stating a view from a Berwick perspective,

ps first goal Is a cracker, but should be dealt with comfortably.

A strange kind of game, but a strange kind of game Stenhousemuir deserved to win all the same. The Warriors created some excellent chances throughout the match and the scoreline could have been far more brutal, but Berwick Rangers had the better of the play for long spells and, in the second half particularly, had the hosts pegged back deep inside their own half. That said: I was never once convinced Berwick ever posed a serious threat in front of goal. Chris Smith was made a couple of saves but was never really tested.

Stenhousemuir started the match with a goal-of-the-season contender from Mark McGuigan. Ross Meechan clipped a ball over the Berwick defenders and towards the McGuigan moving into the right-hand channel. The forward watched the ball come over his head and as it bounced he sent a looping drive over Robbie McCrorie and into the net. It was a stunner and reminiscent of Jamie Vardy's wonderstrike against Liverpool, and not a million miles away from his goal in the 1-1 draw with Clyde a couple of weeks ago. McGuigan put the contest beyond any doubt in the final minutes, tapping home Eddie Ferns' wonderful centre, and he now has seven goals in as many games. Dare I say it, but he's the best striker in the division just now. Any time he was on the ball, it felt as though something would happen.

Pat Scullion headed into his own net from a corner shortly afterwards but, despite their two-goal advantage, Stenhousemuir weren't dominating or controlling the game. Berwick looked the handier of the two sides, particularly in the middle of the park, and were able to pass and move and find space with ease, but they couldn't do anything in front of goal. I don't remember them fashioning any clear-cut chances in the first or second half. Stenny did, however, look really compact - the back four have really gelled, with Ruaridh Donaldson having come onto a game in recent weeks, Harry Paton was always looking to get on the ball and Mark Ferry probably had his best game for the club.

I'm unsure about Nicki Paterson and whether or not he brings something different to the team. He's got a very good delivery from set-pieces but doesn't seem to offer much beyond that. He didn't seem to want to get stuck in and looked a bit lightweight. There's absolutely no money at the club just now so if he's cheap he's a useful alternative.

Still, a comfortable win, six games without defeat, and Falkirk bodied yesterday too. Things are good.

Without sounding disrespectful to Berwick how on earth is Scullion club captain in this day and age?

We needed to put these two gangs to the sword and that's one out of the way. Stirling will win the league easily but we are guaranteed play offs without turning up.

The standard of this league is awful. Also wish Mark McGuigan was ma uncle. 

Agree with much of what FF has said above. At 2-0 still had the feeling that if we conceded one then we would concede two.  Felt that  McMenamin and Paterson did not contribute much.  Smith had little to do all dy and Ferry had probably his best game for us.  McGuigan is turning out to be one of our great strikers although he does seem to lack confidence in his own ability when he goes one on one with the keeper.  There is a worry about who will fill our strikers roles and that of Harry Paton if injury or suspensions come along.

At the end of the day another home win and we continue a fine run of results so cannot complain too much.   We could easily have a derby with the Councils team next year the way things are going.

Agree with a lot of what FF said about the game. All be it at a different standard, it was like a lot of Premier League games you see at the moment. One team comfortable letting the other have possession, defending very well, and being very good on the counter. It could have been more than 3, although first half especially, we wasted our own good chances.

We shot ourselves in the foot early on with those two goals. The first as simple and route one as you’ll get. It was a great finish, but the lack of pace at centre back was exposed and any defender with a bit of sharpness should have been able to at least make it difficult for the attacker.

No idea what Scullion was doing for the OG. He wasn’t really under any pressure and no Stenny player seemed to even attack the ball.

The second half was basically us in possession without any impact, and Stenny with countless dangerous break aways, especially from the number 11 who was impressive.

Focussing just on us, picking a 2 from 3 of Fairbairn, Scullion and McKinlay is always going to cause problems as they’re all slow and immobile. I’d play Fleming there. Although he’s made a few mistakes, he’s young, it’s going to happen, but he’s strong and quick and has had some stand out performances which will become more frequent with time. At the moment, I’d play him alongside Scullion, although Pat is going to have to screw his head on. He’s the captain. That’s two away games in a row he’s had a blast at a fan at the first sign of criticism. Fair enough once, but he needs to focus on the game and lead by example. It’s unacceptable even if he thinks the criticism is unfair.

It’s still 4-5-1 at the moment. Although that formation doesn’t concern me, we need to get more players in and around the central striker. I’d like to see Rutherford and Murrell in the same team and McKenna slightly further forward. Although I can see the reluctance to go with such an attacking formation especially away from home when Notman, who I think was our best player yesterday, doesn’t have the pace in the centre of the park. Mention for McKinlay too who I thought had a good game.

3 hours ago, BerwickMad said:

Agree with a lot of what FF said about the game. All be it at a different standard, it was like a lot of Premier League games you see at the moment. One team comfortable letting the other have possession, defending very well, and being very good on the counter. It could have been more than 3, although first half especially, we wasted our own good chances.

We shot ourselves in the foot early on with those two goals. The first as simple and route one as you’ll get. It was a great finish, but the lack of pace at centre back was exposed and any defender with a bit of sharpness should have been able to at least make it difficult for the attacker.

No idea what Scullion was doing for the OG. He wasn’t really under any pressure and no Stenny player seemed to even attack the ball.

The second half was basically us in possession without any impact, and Stenny with countless dangerous break aways, especially from the number 11 who was impressive.

Focussing just on us, picking a 2 from 3 of Fairbairn, Scullion and McKinlay is always going to cause problems as they’re all slow and immobile. I’d play Fleming there. Although he’s made a few mistakes, he’s young, it’s going to happen, but he’s strong and quick and has had some stand out performances which will become more frequent with time. At the moment, I’d play him alongside Scullion, although Pat is going to have to screw his head on. He’s the captain. That’s two away games in a row he’s had a blast at a fan at the first sign of criticism. Fair enough once, but he needs to focus on the game and lead by example. It’s unacceptable even if he thinks the criticism is unfair.

It’s still 4-5-1 at the moment. Although that formation doesn’t concern me, we need to get more players in and around the central striker. I’d like to see Rutherford and Murrell in the same team and McKenna slightly further forward. Although I can see the reluctance to go with such an attacking formation especially away from home when Notman, who I think was our best player yesterday, doesn’t have the pace in the centre of the park. Mention for McKinlay too who I thought had a good game.

Is that not how Coughlin was setting up at back? I agree that in particular Fairbairn & Scullion are always going to cause problems as they’re slow and immobile plus Fairbairn stays too deep.

Think we need that 3-0 win yesterday. Think it may come down to goal difference at the end of the season and ours isn't the best at the moment. Got back to back games against Edinburgh next, in league then cup, so hopefully 3 points and progression to the next round. 

I can also understand the current 4-5-1 set up at the weekend as the defence is so poor at the moment. They need as much protection as they can get and perhaps possession football is a way of achieving it. However, I'd like to see Fleming return to the starting 11. I have no trust in Scullion, McKinley and Fairbairn when balls are played over the top. They are so slow over the first 5 yards as seen by the first goal at the weekend. The constant finger pointing when mistakes are made from Scullion and Mckinlay is also starting to grate on me, particularly when they massively contribute to the current defensive problems. Added to that, Scullion blasting fans yet again. That needs to stop imo.

I'm not a fan of one up front, especially the way Stenny play with the two sitting midfielders. Well done to them though, professional performance and McGuigan was a constant threat with his height and pace. No 8 Paton ran his socks off and would be a bugger to play against.  As for us, some good possession football but no real edge. Murrell worked his arse off but with no joy against two sometimes 3 central defenders. i have heard bad things about McKinlay but thought he was ok, some of his link up play with Phillips and irving was excellent and he was probably our main threat with his crosses, that is if we had someone in the box to convert them.  But the truth is, you cannot give away sloppy goals early on, (well taken as it was), and get anything out of the game. Which brings me to the defence,  Sorry too many times Scullion was caught under the ball, thought he was to blame for the first goal more so than McKinlay, i also think Fairbairn was dragged all over the place by McMenamin and this exposed Scullion who had a poor game let's be honest.  I also think we needed to freshen it up long before we did, Thomson, Lavery and Rutherford caused problems when they came on but only had 15mins to do so. Robbie has a lot to ponder, it will be interesting to see how they respond. This team is much better than last year but definitely a 'work in progress'

Brilliant highlights. Mark McGuigan's first goal is phenomenal (although his strike at Clyde might just have been better), Pat Scullion's header is absolutely unstoppable, and Eddie Ferns' run and square for the third was just lovely and his best piece of play since he joined the club.

Having had a think, I reckon our performance in the second half was the best 45 minutes we've enjoyed all season. With a two-goal lead, we were able to sit in, maintain our shape and allow Berwick Rangers all the time they wanted on the ball, before winning it back and hitting them on the break. Watching back the highlights, this worked time and time again and it's incredible we didn't get more than three goals. Berwick were allowed plenty of possession but as soon as they got 25 yards from goal, it was nicked off them and played up towards McGuigan or out to Ruaridh Donaldson on the left.

Really looking forward to the match with Edinburgh City now. More of the same, please.

Brutal highlights.

Our defence looks like it is being operated by remote control, with dodgy batteries in the joystick.

And can we practice free kicks please.

Might as well try something different at Peterhead.

17 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Brilliant highlights. Mark McGuigan's first goal is phenomenal (although his strike at Clyde might just have been better), Pat Scullion's header is absolutely unstoppable, and Eddie Ferns' run and square for the third was just lovely and his best piece of play since he joined the club.

Having had a think, I reckon our performance in the second half was the best 45 minutes we've enjoyed all season. With a two-goal lead, we were able to sit in, maintain our shape and allow Berwick Rangers all the time they wanted on the ball, before winning it back and hitting them on the break. Watching back the highlights, this worked time and time again and it's incredible we didn't get more than three goals. Berwick were allowed plenty of possession but as soon as they got 25 yards from goal, it was nicked off them and played up towards McGuigan or out to Ruaridh Donaldson on the left.

Really looking forward to the match with Edinburgh City now. More of the same, please.

thanx.......:)

Archived