Partick Thistle v Heart of Midlothian - 23/09/17, 16:00.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gonna be honest and some may disagree but these late goals and the complete lack of courage and aggression to get a second goal when we're in control of games will cost us a place in this league and Archie his job. He hasn't been able to sort it since he brought us up into the top division. It's a defining issue for us. And every year we start seasons terribly.

I totally agree with the earlier comment that the second half all the players looked a shadow of the confident performance they grew into as first half wore on. I honestly thought it should have been 3-0 at the half. We missed a couple of really good chances before the half.

It's typical Thistle and I really think if the midfield and strikers at this club don't start scoring goals consistently, be accountable and start taking some risks, we're going to be in trouble and fighting it out at bottom through Christmas and New Year. A saving grace is that other results went our way and Killie, County, Accies and Dundee all look pretty poor. But it is concerning.

I don't think the players played badly. I think the defensive 5 were very good today in fact. I also agree we've got the best squad of players we've had since the 70s however there is a real gutless and lack of cutting edge and it needs addressed. Storey and Sammon look like decent signings but goals is what is needed now.

Our next 5 league fixtures are very winnable. If we don't take 10+ points from them cumulatively then I think we can kiss goodbye top 6 again and I think the season is going to be arduous and very frustrating especially as I think our squad is deeper and better than last year.

Spittal was excellent today especially in the first half. All the players have talent but we need results and fast. Archie needs to show the support he is good at coaching in the final third as being 1-0 up isn't enough. We need to be 2 or 3 goals up going into the 80th minute.

Hearts were very beatable today. Lots of experience but no pace and little invention. Like Rangers last Friday night I think we've dropped 4 points rather than gained 2.

I'm absolutely sick of Thistle. I'm glad it will be at least another month before I can see us again. The second half performance was as cowardly as I've ever seen.

I'm fairly certain the ball never crossed the line for the Hearts equaliser, but it was the least we deserved so I can't even muster up the energy to feel agreived by it.

This is by far and away the strongest squad we've had since promotion, yet we're sleep walking towards relegation. The idea that we should accept that we're 'slow starters' is nauseating. 

I'm not saying that three points from seven doesn't give you a right to moan but..

You've still got Motherwell, Dundee, Hamilton and Killie to play in the opening round of fixtures

Things might not be as bad as they look

I think the fact how little I care when we inevitably lose our leads is in itself depressing. Hard to keep enthusiastic or passionate when you're watching the same game over and over again. Team plays great, gets a small lead, start dropping deep, lose lead then either draw or lose. Rinse and repeat. Meh.

I'm putting yesterday down to the culmination of a few things.

We didn't score a second before half time.

We came out in the second half and played with very little pace.

Elliott going off changed the game, Hearts raised their game to not allow our full back changes time to settle into their roles.

Scully's kicking was deplorable. Barely getting over the half way line and never reaching a Thistle player meant our players had to sit deep to protect our goal. Using a higher line would have been suicide with his kicking.

On a side note, some of our supporters are fckin idiots.

Doolan was poor and wasn't understanding 2 up top. He repeatedly made Storeys run, when he should have been hitting the back post, leaving us short in the middle for the final ball.

Folk criticising archie for subbing Dools for Banzo, and in the same posts complimenting our ability to get back into it in the last 10, are fckin idiots!

Folk criticising the team for hopelessly punting, yet criticising Barton "dallying" are fckin idiots. He's looking for a pass that doesn't reliquish possession!!!

Folk wanting Banzo to be starting? The guys just been out for a year! He's nowhere near fit. We should be protecting our players, not destroying them!

Feel sorry for Nesbit. He's a victim of our own success. Not good enough for the Premiership. Will do well in the Championship, maybe.

Final point, we were without Cerny, Booth, Dumbuya, Osman, Fraser, Erskine & Sammon yesterday.

2 hours ago, dave.j said:

Folk criticising the team for hopelessly punting, yet criticising Barton "dallying" are fckin idiots. He's looking for a pass that doesn't reliquish possession!!!

Aye, the criticism of Barton was a joke. He hasn't had the best start to the season, but had a very good game yesterday. People seem to have made their mind up that he should be on the bench and no amount of good things he does will change that right now.

Hopefully yesterday's game was a nice confidence boost for him, though. He had some very nice touches & passes and looked much more like the Barton from last year.

6 hours ago, dave.j said:

I'm putting yesterday down to the culmination of a few things.

We didn't score a second before half time.

We came out in the second half and played with very little pace.

Elliott going off changed the game, Hearts raised their game to not allow our full back changes time to settle into their roles.

Scully's kicking was deplorable. Barely getting over the half way line and never reaching a Thistle player meant our players had to sit deep to protect our goal. Using a higher line would have been suicide with his kicking.

On a side note, some of our supporters are fckin idiots.

Doolan was poor and wasn't understanding 2 up top. He repeatedly made Storeys run, when he should have been hitting the back post, leaving us short in the middle for the final ball.

Folk criticising archie for subbing Dools for Banzo, and in the same posts complimenting our ability to get back into it in the last 10, are fckin idiots!

Folk wanting Banzo to be starting? The guys just been out for a year! He's nowhere near fit. We should be protecting our players, not destroying them!

Feel sorry for Nesbit. He's a victim of our own success. Not good enough for the Premiership. Will do well in the Championship, maybe.

Final point, we were without Cerny, Booth, Dumbuya, Osman, Fraser, Erskine & Sammon yesterday.

Anyone know what happened in the North Stand midway through the first half with all the St John's ambulance people around?  Didn't look too concerned and think I saw them lead a guy out later, but didn't see anything.

On 9/24/2017 at 11:03, dave.j said:

Everything around this fucking annoys me.  The cry of anguish whenever we play it anything but forward is audible, with no thought as to whether there even is a forward pass on.  There was one point we were passing it around and trying to make some space, then I think we gave it to Devine (might not have been) who promptly punted it straight to a Hearts player.  How is that better?  Barton hasn't been anywhere near his best, but if he's dallying on the ball, it's almost certainly down to there not being a pass on.  The complete lack of movement is often the source of our problems.

Archived