Let Down XI

R.R.FC

Absolutely mental to think Raith were throwing about £100-250k fees at some point.

It seems mental, but we were only really spending the 200 grand we got for Brewster, 200 grand for Hetherston, 400 grand less John Millar for Colin Cameron, 900 grand for McAnespie and another 900 grand for Crawford, Dair and Sinclair combined from Millwall. Unfortunately the players we replaced them with were either of lesser quality or, as said in the case of Paul Harvey, never did the business in a Rovers jersey.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

It seems mental, but we were only really spending the 200 grand we got for Brewster, 200 grand for Hetherston, 400 grand less John Millar for Colin Cameron, 900 grand for McAnespie and another 900 grand for Crawford, Dair and Sinclair combined from Millwall. Unfortunately the players we replaced them with were either of lesser quality or, as said in the case of Paul Harvey, never did the business in a Rovers jersey.

Didn't Raith have a poor manager at the time?   Was it Malky something?

I always thought, from the other side of the fence, that your purchases from Airdrie, were quite poor.     

You bought our young leftback who'd only played a few games for £100k.   He seemed an exciting prospect but was certainly not ready.    Harvey had a specific role in the 10 hole for us,  but where did he fit in a 442?    We'd never have played him as a CM or striker.  Even Duffield was one of the most unremarkable strikers we'd had.

Looking back, seemed likensome really poor talent ID and a few square pegs...

Didn't Raith have a poor manager at the time?   Was it Malky something?
I always thought, from the other side of the fence, that your purchases from Airdrie, were quite poor.     
You bought our young leftback who'd only played a few games for £100k.   He seemed an exciting prospect but was certainly not ready.    Harvey had a specific role in the 10 hole for us,  but where did he fit in a 442?    We'd never have played him as a CM or striker.  Even Duffield was one of the most unremarkable strikers we'd had.
Looking back, seemed likensome really poor talent ID and a few square pegs...

Can't disagree with what you say.
Paul Bonar was the left back and Jimmy Thomson, followed by Iain Munro (Tommy McLean didn't sign anyone in the week he was here) were the managers who squandered most of the money.
Duffield had a decent goal ratio for us (5 in 9 games at the tail end of 95/96 which saw us survive comfortably in the Premier) but apparently had a stinking attitude and constantly fell out with everyone.

Would disagree with Simon Mensing - thought he was solid at the back when he played for us.

Ross Perry was very highly thought of at Rangers, and I had always been impressed with him at several Scotland U21 games. Given the number of caps he had at that level it was disappointing seeing him go downhill so much. Andy McNeil would fall into that category as well - another who looked like they had a lot of potential for Scotland U21.... beggars belief that decision to drop Mcgurn for the 2nd half of our promotion charge! McNeil's performance against Cowdenbeath was scarily bad!

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Scott McBride! came highly rated after his season at Cowden and was utter gash.

Theirry Gatheusi anyone? I remember thinking he was a cracking signing.... I'm sure he got hooked after about 25 mins when we were 2 or 3 nil down to Airdrie. About 4 yards off the pace!

From last season - Rudi Skacel has to be in the team!

9 minutes ago, ribzanelli said:

Amongst the seven a side players, did anelka not sign one boy who at least had a bit of pedigree and a few caps for an African country but he got injured and never kicked a ball for us?

Jules Tchimbakala. Senegalese internationalist I think. Broke his arm in his first game, recovered then broke the other arm in his 2nd game......

3 hours ago, Niall Russell said:

Jules Tchimbakala. Senegalese internationalist I think. Broke his arm in his first game, recovered then broke the other arm in his 2nd game......

He had seven caps for Congo, apparently. I didn't think he played for our first team at all, but I could be wrong as I couldn't get to every game back then, which was clearly a blessing.

Just now, McGuigan1978 said:

He had seven caps for Congo, apparently. I didn't think he played for our first team at all, but I could be wrong as I couldn't get to every game back then, which was clearly a blessing.

He didn't. I think the original injury was a friendly and then he picked up the second injury in a reserve match. It's pretty much certain he would've been every bit as bad as the rest of them anyway.

8 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

He didn't. I think the original injury was a friendly and then he picked up the second injury in a reserve match. It's pretty much certain he would've been every bit as bad as the rest of them anyway.

That's right - and he had caps for DR Congo, not Senegal, as Shaughan said :-)

I think Tchimbakala and Moussa Outarra were the only ones who came with any football experience. The rest were ridiculous. Looking back at some of the unsavoury characters who were at the club in the back before (who're being mentioned in our match thread vs Airdrie), we were quite lucky that episode happened as it was the catalyst for change. I think nowadays, the Anelka situation wouldn't happen as clubs can generally scout the information out a mile away with the databases available. 

1 hour ago, rw89 said:

I think Tchimbakala and Moussa Outarra were the only ones who came with any football experience. The rest were ridiculous. Looking back at some of the unsavoury characters who were at the club in the back before (who're being mentioned in our match thread vs Airdrie), we were quite lucky that episode happened as it was the catalyst for change. I think nowadays, the Anelka situation wouldn't happen as clubs can generally scout the information out a mile away with the databases available. 

I might be in the minority, and it might be due to the others who were playing with him at the time, but I quite liked Outarra and would have been pleased to see him come back in the next season. 

I might be in the minority, and it might be due to the others who were playing with him at the time, but I quite liked Outarra and would have been pleased to see him come back in the next season. 

Outtarra could've held his own at that level if he'd had some decent players around him.

Biggest let downs....

iain Philip experienced defender with both Dundee clubs - we signed him when he had a broken leg

Bobby Robinson - Scottish international midfielder signed from Dundee, did nothing for us

Willie Gibson - played in Europe and premier league for Hearts and Patrick, bagging goals everywhere, came to Starks and was the ghost of his former self, only upside is we managed to ship him to cowden with Jimmy Marshall coming the other way.

Damien Dunleavy - had been on trial at Liverpool !!! Signed from Irish football for £20k, one of Sir Jimmy's 1st signings and probably his worst.

Archived