Queen's Park vs Ayr United

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today luck went for us, Queens Park weren’t in the game much but had one hit both posts and come back out, missed a penalty and the rebound, one off the line and another chalked off for offside.
We had a lot of possession and didn’t do much with it.

McDaid was quiet again, Moffat wasn’t in the game, Shankland was the better of the 3.
The penalty looked like Rose played the ball off the shins of the attacker and he went down, not a dive but didn’t look a penalty

Shankland a stick on to score....

Feed the shank and he will score...
Decent performance from QP but unfortunately it's about putting the ball in the net [emoji17]
Ayr dangerous in final third but distinctly average apart from that
At least we created chances unbelievable misses from Galt and Docherty in addition to Millen's pen and follow up from Donnelly
Not sure the big man's the answer but then again thought the same about Zanatta after his initial appearances last season
I'd like to see Tony Orr get a run as think he's the best option we've got up front but Gus must be seein something I'm not
On the plus side summers and iredale look like quality additions and Brady had another great game not sure why he wasn't MoM

20 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Today luck went for us, Queens Park weren’t in the game much but had one hit both posts and come back out, missed a penalty and the rebound, one off the line and another chalked off for offside.
We had a lot of possession and didn’t do much with it.

McDaid was quiet again, Moffat wasn’t in the game, Shankland was the better of the 3.
The penalty looked like Rose played the ball off the shins of the attacker and he went down, not a dive but didn’t look a penalty

I'll agree with most of that except the mention  of the"goal" chalked off. It wasn't even a marginal decision.

Hart should be MOTM, an outstanding save in the first half and then the penalty save. Anyone who wasn't straight out the door on full time could see how pleased he was to keep a clean sheet.

I'll agree with most of that except the mention  of the"goal" chalked off. It wasn't even a marginal decision.
 Hart should be MOTM, an outstanding save in the first half and then the penalty save. Anyone who wasn't straight out the door on full time could see how pleased he was to keep a clean sheet.

Yes he had some good stops but still very dodgy on cross balls I'm afraid. Not convinced.

3 hours ago, Mgc1910 said:

Brutal stuff from Ayr at times, but a good result in the end.  McDaid and Moffat had real off days when I thought they'd enjoy the big open pitch.  I sincerely hope I don't ever again have to endure a left side of Gilmour and Reid - absolutely honking.  Special mention for Hampden Park - an 800 crowd in a 50,000 seat stadium and you still get a shite view.  Place needs bulldozed.

No being antagonistic mate, but where were you sitting? Being there last week I though it was pretty decent view of the game (dare I say better than somerset ...;))

34 minutes ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

No being antagonistic mate, but where were you sitting? Being there last week I though it was pretty decent view of the game (dare I say better than somerset ...;))

Lolz, putting any game thoughts aside, have to agree with this. Pretty awful view from the bare stands overlooking the big pitch n that definitely. Hampden has its faults, but not really when it's QP v AUFC.

3 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

we were not great today but still 3 points .good day for jordan hart he done great . Think I will be taking a piece wae me next time to hampden. cheaper to get a child in to the game than get a hot dog emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

This sounds extremely dodgy.

Just now, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

The extreme left of the south stand, not quite in line with the goals, about 400 yards from the other goal.  Binoculars required.  You'd think they could open up 2 sections of the stand either side of the halfway line.  An absolute travesty of a football ground.

2 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

The extreme left of the south stand, not quite in line with the goals, about 400 yards from the other goal.  Binoculars required.  You'd think they could open up 2 sections of the stand either side of the halfway line.  An absolute travesty of a football ground.

That is where we were standing last week (was next to the tape at the far left of the away section). I just think if your high enough you still get a really good view. Compared to say a ground (like Somerset but any ground fits) where you are almost pitch level and can't see the lines of the box etc at the other end. I prefer to be further away and still see the lines pf the pitch etc so you can get a sense of depth and movement. Opinions and all that!

17 hours ago, Mgc1910 said:

I don't know why they don't do this.

On the match, and contrary to diegomarahenry, I believe we were very much 'in the game' and had the greater share of possession and structure.  Once again let down by lack of firepower up front. The  collection below misses out a couple of good chances but tame efforts.   The rebound from the penalty offered a huge target and you want that to fall to a confident striker. Like Thomas Orr maybe?

What we need is obvious, but difficult to see what can be done. I'd be starting with Orr though and giving Donnelly a run with him off the bench.

We had a bad start then hit the two full-timers, but there are positives!

What does Orr need to do to start a game . I am not a football coach but the way we started today was not going to bring anything. My great fear is when McPherson is fit he is treated as our best striker . Very quiet from our fans today. Gus needs to look at how he starts the team ..... one up front must be mobile and have pace ... we don't have anyone...play two up front and maybe give fans a bit of entertainment.

1 hour ago, Velvet Donkey said:

We had a bad start then hit the two full-timers, but there are positives!

Aye but 4 points from the Stranraer and East Fife games immediately prior to the last 2 games seemed to suggest things had picked up a bit. Getting results against teams like those will be the difference this season between staying up and going down. Need something next week at Airdrie before we face Forfar 

Positives today were playing football from the back through the midfield and alternating moves both up the wings but also through the centre channel. Resulted in a number of really good opportunities. Defence was solid with possibly only the second goal poor when they backed off the striker (becoming a trend). Even at that, losing two to a professional full-time club isn't a huge problem. If you can compensate at the other end.

Frustration is evident but no shock. Gus has set every team he has ever coached to defend and then try to win. He's not going to change now. Like last season he's looking to have midfielders do the bulk of the scoring and yesterday was the best attempt yet. Four at the back with two attacking wing backs allowing Galt, Docherty (his best game in a QP jersey imho) and Brady all getting forward frequently and the reliable Fotheringham the only guard for the central defenders. So in Gus' mind he'll be content with the team's shape and effort and hugely disappointed with the finishing, which collectively was appalling.

Here's the thing though. Midfielders see goals as fun and excitement, a bonus to some really fine passing or winning tackles. Only a single-minded striker, like Orr, will see it as his duty and the only measure of success. Gus will have to change mindsets of a quite a few players if midfield is where the goals are to come from. And an experienced coach should know that.

As for our 'strikers' I'll go first and say what I'm sure many must think. Ewan MacPherson wouldn't get a game, on his own merit, at any other club in this division. No danger.

Archived