Philip K Dick's Electric Dreams

Fide

On 10/16/2017 at 16:33, Miguel Sanchez said:

So we're all in agreement that yesterday's would have been much better if it had ended ambiguously, right?

Definitely.

I enjoyed it, and thought it was one of the better ones, but the big reveal was needless. I was actually buying in to the 'false' reality as being the real one. If, after he's stomped the device, the screen just went black, or white even, and finished, that would have been much better.

• 2 weeks later...

Was looking forward to this series as a sci-fi fan. Quite disappointed overall.

The episode with Spall was good, the old lady on the spaceship was not bad. The rest were generally poor. I think they were trying to throw too many ideas into a short episode. The episodes I mentioned as being the best are where they took one idea and just mined it. Worked much better.

In summary: just watch Black Mirror instead. It's much better.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Finished watching these this week, generally they were ok, I enjoyed the Steve Bucsemi one and the Anna Pacwid one, but the Bryan Cranston one was like one of the shit episodes of TOS Star Trek.

Fun fact:  I've had breakfast in the diner "Lou Mitchell's" in Chicago that featured in the "Real Life" Anna Pacwid episode.

• 1 month later...

Hard to pick a favourite bit, really

- Boy angrily trying to tell mother while making as little sense as possible
- Boy vanishes from closed police car which two officers stood 20 feet away are looking at
- Boys go to find giant scrapyard filled with adult skins, which they instinctively know the location of, and which no other adult has found until now, and which they run away from not telling anyone about
- Boy destroys assortment of liquid filled pods by burning them which is enough to halt the entire invasion, because it was centred on a few dozen people in one place in the world

Have I missed anything? I mean (and I'm not going by the source material here) it's a somewhat interesting concept if you want to say "Young child discovers parents are separating, believes one of them has been replaced by an alien" and explore that relationship somehow but this... what?

• 2 weeks later...

Last episode was alright too, but again I think it suffered from being presented in an hour long format. A shame the quality was so up and down from episode to episode and a shame it went on a break in the middle for no reason before returning with four episodes and starting that run with the weakest of the lot. I'd be tempted to read some of Dick's short fiction if I could find an anthology of it on amazon besides one curated specifically for this series, given the inherent shame in owning books with covers designed for a recent adaptation.

Archived