The Blue Nile

paranoid android

On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 18:57, Highland Capital said:

Just out of interest, what does Paul Buchanan do now?  Does he just live off the royalties?

Probably - I often wonder about these things.  

I'm sure Buchanan did some work as a studio sound engineer in the USA between albums - I don't imagine he does that sort of thing these days.

Not sure how they did in terms of records sales, and they must have owed their record company a lot of money for fronting the recording costs in the lead up to Hats.

They're not a band that tend to get a lot of air-play on radio either.

I mind them saying that they knew folk who didn't believe they were a reasonably successful band because they'd never seen them on Top of the Pops. :lol:

I can't ever imagine any of them doing anything that isn't utterly distinguished. 

I mind them saying that they knew folk who didn't believe they were a reasonably successful band because they'd never seen them on Top of the Pops. :lol:

I might have gotten this story slightly wrong but after Hats came out, a university friend of Paul Buchanan asked him if he'd heard of this band he was a fan of called The Blue Nile unaware that his university friend was actually in it!

14 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I might have gotten this story slightly wrong but after Hats came out, a university friend of Paul Buchanan asked him if he'd heard of this band he was a fan of called The Blue Nile unaware that his university friend was actually in it!

:lol: Wouldn't be surprised if that was true - I hope it is, actually. 

Just out of interest, what does Paul Buchanan do now?  Does he just live off the royalties?

I’ve got one of his solo albums. It’s great. I was under the impression it sold fairly well - I heard it first on a jukebox in a San Francisco bar.

1 hour ago, NorthernJambo said:

I've only hear walk across the rooftops (thanks to my step father). Thought it was pretty decent. Other albums better?

Hats is better in my opinion.

53 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I’ve got one of his solo albums. It’s great. I was under the impression it sold fairly well - I heard it first on a jukebox in a San Francisco bar.

I too thought Mid Air was a superb record - it's like Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska from a parallel universe.  I think it's his only solo album though.

There were whispers of a second PB solo record in the works, but if you know about affairs relating to anything-TBN related you know to take it with a pinch of salt. 

Will never tire of Hats, I don't think. The other three albums all have flaws (especially PAL)  but that one is 100% on the money and stirs me every time, 15 years after first hearing it. Would have mixed emotions about a fifth, but can't see it ever happening.

Peter Gabriel was/is a huge fan of The Blue Nile. Apparently, he used to order copies of A Walk Across the Rooftops in bulk and give them away to his contacts in the music industry. He was determined they should reach a wider audience and tried to gain them more commercial success.

Paul Buchanan sang vocals on Downside Up, one of Gabriel's better songs from his Millenium Project.

Easter Parade, Regret and Family Life are incredible songs which always bring me to tears.

On 29/09/2017 at 00:42, Highland Capital said:

Hats is better in my opinion.

+1 for "Hats"; stunningly magnificent album combining Buchanans heart wrenching compositions and vocals with some incredible soundscapes from PJ.  I remember sitting at the riverside in Brooklyn late evening, looking at  over to lower Manhattan (and the Twin Towers) listening to "Downtown Lights" on my first visit to NYC in 1999.  If ever a piece of music matched the visuals, this was it.

Edited by PRS
spelling

And just as you say that, Tinseltown in the Rain was played on the Bryan Burnett show last night.

When I used to work backshift I would always try and get a Blue Nile song fitted in to whatever the topic was for each night's Get It On.

Saw them at the GRCH in (I think) 2008, and the sound quality was the best I've ever heard at a gig. Played everything you would expect to hear but the finale was a stunning version of Strangers in the Night.

Like others, a huge fan of Hats, it would be right up there in any list of my top albums. My own order would be Hats>Rooftops>Peace>High. Bizarrely, High was the album which got highest in the UK charts. There's only a few memorable songs on it for me, but this was my favourite.

I was listening to parts of Peace At Last again the other week and was thinking the record would be far higher regarded if it was an EP rather than a whole album. Imagine if it was just Happiness, Tomorrow Morning, Body and Soul and Family Life and that was it. As an album it has good tracks but quite a few very forgettable ones too.

Have to say I'm surprised at the lack of love for Peace at Last.

'Holy Love' was always the big bone of contention for me, with the drum machine, synth choir patch, and synth bassline all seeming a wee bit clumsy and leaden, but Buchanan makes it interesting with his vocal and chicken grease guitar - it's almost as if he's channelling Prince.  

I could pretty much say the same for 'Soon', apart from the Prince comment.

Peace at Last is certainly flawed, but since when did that matter? I say they pull it off in ways that only The Blue Nile can.

The low point on A Walk Across the Rooftops for me is 'Rags to Riches', but, to it's credit, I don't think anyone had ever heard anything like that before.

I would even have minor quibbles about Hats, but they're not worth bothering about. 

Paul Buchanan's guitar and Robert Bell's basslines don't always get much attention, but they are sublime touches that add so much. 

There's naeb'dy like them. :(

Edited by paranoid android

• 2 years later...