Motherwell v Aberdeen - League Cup Quarter Final

rambunctious

4 hours ago, eddiemunster said:

Derek McInnes and his 10 denier jumper.

that was fucking daft.

3 hours ago, Staggie_93 said:

When was Motherwell's last appearance in the semi final of a cup?

Hope they go onto win it.

2011 I think.

What a performance tonight. Not a bad performer in there. Thought Ryan Bowman was immense.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trying to keep a lid on it -  but that was our best 90 minute performance in a good few years (and I include the playoffs in that). Started fast and when it was clear that the Dons were less up for a battle  than we were, the team took a lot of confidence. 

Moult will rightly get most of the plaudits - but our defence were brilliant tonight. Even when we were finishing 2nd and 3rd, we shipped a lot of goals - but we won every header going.  We won all the scrappy stuff in midfield- and in that Alan Campbell was immense - what a player we've got there.

Ryan Bowman was also brilliant - it's like we've got a free bonus signing as the difference from last year is verging on the bizarre at this point.

Aberdeen supporters have been magnanimous in this thread and so I'm not going to rip into their team (or the shite blue strip ;) ) - but when you looked at Kenny McLean and GMS tonight - you saw two totally gutless players who aren't able to live with a high tempo, battling game like that. GMS got hooked early but McLean was every bit as bad - and I thought the centre halves were all poor.

Lastly - Fir Park is bit of a relic obviously - but it's still brilliant with a good crowd under the lights and tonight was the best atmosphere since the playoffs....

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Trying to keep a lid on it -  but that was our best 90 minute performance in a good few years (and I include the playoffs in that). Started fast and when it was clear that the Dons were less up for a battle  than we were, the team took a lot of confidence. 

Moult will rightly get most of the plaudits - but our defence were brilliant tonight. Even when we were finishing 2nd and 3rd, we shipped a lot of goals - but we won every header going.  We won all the scrappy stuff in midfield- and in that Alan Campbell was immense - what a player we've got there.

Ryan Bowman was also brilliant - it's like we've got a free bonus signing as the difference from last year is verging on the bizarre at this point.

Aberdeen supporters have been magnanimous in this thread and so I'm not going to rip into their team (or the shite blue strip ;) ) - but when you looked at Kenny McLean and GMS tonight - you saw two totally gutless players who aren't able to live with a high tempo, battling game like that. GMS got hooked early but McLean was every bit as bad - and I thought the centre halves were all poor.

Lastly - Fir Park is bit of a relic obviously - but it's still brilliant with a good crowd under the lights and tonight was the best atmosphere since the playoffs....

McLean has been gutless from the start of the season, its as if he does not want to be here. I would be happy if we offloaded him in january. As for GMS, god knows, i personally think Celtic ruined him as a player and mentally. 

Enjoy the semi. Its a diddy cup anyway ;)

Guest Bob Mahelp

That's 12 games we've played this season, with 12 different line-ups and 12 different formations.

The players (and McInnes) simply don't know how to make it work, and as every game passes it's becoming more and more obvious how much we relied on Hayes and McGinn.

I'll take nothing away from Motherwell, they won every individual battle all over the park, but I don't think they even played all that well and they'll have less success playing like that against sides not as gutless or disorganised as Aberdeen.

I wish them every luck in the semi-final though.

Guest Bob Mahelp
6 hours ago, MJC said:

The first and third goals man! Moult has got us two goals out of absolutely nothing and the majority of strikers, certainly at our level, wouldn't even think about doing what he did in those positions. His run and finish for the third to seal the game was utterly sublime, he's left Aberdeen's backline completely flat footed and finished beautifully from a difficult angle. Again, a number of players in that position would have tried to hold the ball up and wait for support.

You might be getting carried away just a wee bit.

The first was an own goal, with Moult just trying to hook the ball across. The second was obviously a good finish but that came from being in the situation of being 2 up with 5 minutes to play with the opposition pushing forward(ish), and having a what the hell ? type shot.

He looks like the type of player that fits in well with the type of game Motherwell are trying to play. You did good business holding on to him.

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The first was an own goal, with Moult just trying to hook the ball across. The second was obviously a good finish but that came from being in the situation of being 2 up with 5 minutes to play with the opposition pushing forward(ish), and having a what the hell ? type shot.

He looks like the type of player that fits in well with the type of game Motherwell are trying to play. You did good business holding on to him.

If you don't think Moult was going for goal with the first you're a fool.  

His second was all about not stopping to the end.  He did something I'd expect most strikers to do when at 0-0 or 1-0 down.  You make it sound like a counter attack after being highly pressed at the back, when it was nothing of the sort.

5 hours ago, TrebleTwenty said:

McLean has been gutless from the start of the season, its as if he does not want to be here. I would be happy if we offloaded him in january. As for GMS, god knows, i personally think Celtic ruined him as a player and mentally. 

GMS is becoming a real disappointment. In his early days at Dundee United he showed flashes of skill which suggested he could be a bit special but he hasn't really progressed. I don't think you can say that Celtic ruined him - they have several you players doing well at the moment, you could consider Armstrong as a direct comparison. Fair enough, he didn't have too many chances at Celtic but he never really took them when they came along. I hoped Aberdeen might rejuvenate him but despite some encouraging early season form he looked out of his depth last night.

Can't really add much to what's already been said, cracking night and a superb performance from everyone in a Motherwell jersey.

Couple of points I would like to make, for all that his contribution gets diminished I thought Andy Rose was terrific last night. The number of headers he won, blocks he made and ground he covered was ridiculous. Was also the best I've seen McHugh play this season  as well and with those two and the sensational Allan Campbell we never gave Aberdeen a sniff in the middle of the park.

Also, as much I liked him, getting 400k odd for Heneghan and bringing Hartley on loan is looking like a superb bit of business. Haven't seen him put a foot wrong yet. He leads from the back, organizes those around him and looks every inch the experienced centre back we've been crying out for. Three games, two clean sheets and he even lived up to his goal scoring reputation as well last night. 

Add in Carson in goal(some save from Christie btw) with Moult and Bowman up top and the spine of our team is unrecognisable from the weak, soft centre we had last season. 

Good times.

Guest Bob Mahelp
44 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

If you don't think Moult was going for goal with the first you're a fool.  

:lol:

He hooked the ball backwards and Lewis flaffed it into the net.

Moult had a good game but to make the first goal sound like a work of 1970's Brazil-like genius is f*cking mental.

Guest Bob Mahelp
31 minutes ago, Northboy said:

GMS is becoming a real disappointment. In his early days at Dundee United he showed flashes of skill which suggested he could be a bit special but he hasn't really progressed. I don't think you can say that Celtic ruined him - they have several you players doing well at the moment, you could consider Armstrong as a direct comparison. Fair enough, he didn't have too many chances at Celtic but he never really took them when they came along. I hoped Aberdeen might rejuvenate him but despite some encouraging early season form he looked out of his depth last night.

GMS is saddled with burden of having to be a direct replacement for Jonny Hayes. 

It's proving difficult because he's simply nowhere near as direct, pacey and ...most importantly....physically strong as Hayes.  He reminds me more of a weak Peter Pawlett.

Over the last 4/5 years McInnes built up a side that was utterly dependant on pace and strength down the wings. It was absolutely true that when Hayes and McGinn didn't play well, we lost. If they were both on fire we ripped teams apart.

Without both of them we're struggling to create anything, and all it needs is a team like last night to work hard against us and we're stuffed.

5 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:
42 minutes ago, Northboy said:

GMS is saddled with burden of having to be a direct replacement for Jonny Hayes. 

It's proving difficult because he's simply nowhere near as direct, pacey and ...most importantly....physically strong as Hayes.  He reminds me more of a weak Peter Pawlett.

Over the last 4/5 years McInnes built up a side that was utterly dependant on pace and strength down the wings. It was absolutely true that when Hayes and McGinn didn't play well, we lost. If they were both on fire we ripped teams apart.

Without both of them we're struggling to create anything, and all it needs is a team like last night to work hard against us and we're stuffed.

Bob - I think we're essentially saying the same thing ie GMS isn't up to that mark. I'd also agree about the impact of Hayes and McGinn.

What can you say after that. Congratulations to Motherwell who tore us apart, dominated the midfield and created a smashing atmosphere. The Bois fair gee up the big long KEEP CIGGYS OFF THE MATCH stand, you could see the atmosphere developing along it through the game. A great example of the club engaging with a group like that, and reaping the benefits. It's something Aberdeen really need to look at when it comes to the new stadium.

As for us, well f**k knows what McInnes wants us to be doing, and the players are none the wiser either. After the decent defensive performance against Killie, this was the perfect opportunity to name a settled back line. The attacking balance still needed addressed, but Logan O'Connor Arnason Considine looked solid together and deserved a shot at some continuity. What we got instead was the same old nonsense, Reynolds chucking it, Christie out wide, and god knows what Ball's good at, but it's not attacking and it's not defending.

Our chance creation is frighteningly low. We don't know how to play against a back three, we just dribble straight at it. We also can't dominate a midfield, we miss Ryan Jack so much.

Our play over the last 4 years has been built on an ability to dominate possession in games, and overload teams in wide areas. We've lost the three players who made that work, and we haven't replaced like for like. What we're seeing now is McInnes' trial and error, trying to fit these guys into a team that works. It shows up the transfer policy IMO, no clear plan to replace like-for-like. The one player who brings genuine width to the game gets hooked on the first half. I know GMS was shite but he wasn't the only one. He needs to show some trust in his players and back them to work their way into a game.

And he needs to show a hell of a lot less trust in Kenny "Undroppable" McLean, who's not had a good game all season.

f**k me I've not been this pissed off with the Dons for a while.

All the best 'Well, win the trophy eh. You deserved one under McCall so here's your chance. Pump the ****.

4 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

He still had to make the chance at the first goal when there was seemingly nothing on for him, not an easy task.

I'm surprised we did manage to keep him in the summer but I doubt he'll be here past January if he keeps his form up.

Archived