St Mirren vs Queen of the South

You're right about Holt - he'd a nightmare start at Dundee - seemed to be at fault for pretty much every goal and looked out of his depth but he's developed well. To be fair they persevered with him despite some stick from the fans. Possibly a lesson for us there ;-)

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, steakpiegravy said:

Yeah I thought that too. Was wondering how two of our former top p[layers ended up at St Mirren. I'm in two minds about Reilly - always preferred Nicky Clark as a striker, but I'd have Lovejoy back in a heartbeat.

Reilly is a very hard worker and will get goals but agree Clark is an out and out striker. Reilly and Smith up front must be a handful for any defence in tbe championship with their pace add in Morgan and big Josh when he is back makes for a formidable attacking force. Sunday was not the free flowing football we often see from Saints think the wet pitch played its part. QOS have some good players you will be around the play off's i would say. 

2 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Reilly is a very hard worker and will get goals but agree Clark is an out and out striker. Reilly and Smith up front must be a handful for any defence in tbe championship with their pace add in Morgan and big Josh when he is back makes for a formidable attacking force. Sunday was not the free flowing football we often see from Saints think the wet pitch played its part. QOS have some good players you will be around the play off's i would say. 

Absolutely  - would never fault Gav's effort. 

23 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

In terms of negatives. Sadly I think Stellios is a complete liability. You only need to see the way he dealt with the long ball just after we scored. I think Ross was also a little miffed at his actions. Lovely guy as he is, his errors are going to cost us in the long run. Still that seems to be a bit unfair considering we won the game.

Morgan is surely gone by the new year...:( ...I can only hope that we strike a good deal, and that (J) McGinn moves at the same time landing us with enough cash to replace Morgan. Still, it's been a joy watching him play.

Stelios has looked out of form last 2 games. He cost us a goal at Pars, and he's been struggling with winning headers, confidence seems to have dipped, presumably because he's struggling and knows he's not playing well. Mind you the guys who were moaning at him and saying "he only had 1 good game against Hibs last year and has been shite since" made me laugh. Typical St Mirren fans. 

No idea what happened after the restart, but surely he has to get a shout on that one to leave it? He at least dealt with it.  

2 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Stelios has looked out of form last 2 games. He cost us a goal at Pars, and he's been struggling with winning headers, confidence seems to have dipped, presumably because he's struggling and knows he's not playing well. Mind you the guys who were moaning at him and saying "he only had 1 good game against Hibs last year and has been shite since" made me laugh. Typical St Mirren fans. 

His introduction was a real catalyst. His wing play and general flamboyance, albeit a tad lucky at times, made him an automatic pick.

This season though, he seems to have lost quite a bit of that. Whether it's because other teams now know his game, or that we are no longer under the pressure we were last season, or perhaps it's just one of those things where a player has a purple patch then drops badly. Interestingly Ross' own career mirrors Stellios' (well, a little) where he came to the club was an absolute revelation in a full back position, then faded badly the next season.

So, has he done more than just the Hibs game? Of course, he was instrumental in our turn around (along with other players). Is he going to come good again... I'm not sure. Ross said at the time he was a "gamble" and that gamble has paid off, but (imo) it's unlikely to continue to do so because if it was then he wouldn't have been moving from Cypriot football to a team at the bottom of the second tier in Scotland.

Smith (Liam) has looked very good in the RB position, even better than Irvine (imo), and with Eckersley back soon, you would think Stellios is then pushed to the bench as cover for the full backs or to give a bit of umph on the left wing late on in the game.

How did your sound advice work out yesterday. Another two goals for Morgan while cruising along in 1st gear. 

To be fair to him. Lewis was fairly quiet by his own high standards. Still banged in 2 goals tho[emoji122][emoji16]

Stelios wasn't first pick last season, and probably isn't this season either. Injuries and suspensions have kept him in the team, but I reckon Ross would go with Eckersley ahead of him on the left and Smith/Irvine on the right if everyone was fit.

Liam Smith has been excellent addition to the squad. 

Stelios defending has always been a bit up and down. Some games can mark and play well others he looks a bit all at sea. Just looks like he's had a few weak games- maybe the 3-5-2 wasn't really suited to him, not sure. Not writing him off and he's still a capable player, just needs to work on his game. 

To be fair to him, his goal got the place going when we had a slow start via Falkirk and he's not been a Mo Kamara liability by any shape. He also seems to add some personality to the team, which was probably something the dressing room needed in January last year. 

45 minutes ago, GAD said:

Stelios wasn't first pick last season, and probably isn't this season either. Injuries and suspensions have kept him in the team, but I reckon Ross would go with Eckersley ahead of him on the left and Smith/Irvine on the right if everyone was fit.

Irvine for me is by far the biggest risk,he should only be used as a back up for injuries and suspensions.

Stelios can be a match winner and is nowhere near as bad as some make out.

I think Stelios has struggled with the formation when playing with a back 3. To be fair Liam Smith also struggled badly with that formation at Dunfermline. Stelios plays better in a back four or I would maybe try him in the left midfield slot in a 4-4-2 but a 3-5-2 doesn't suit him in my opinion. He actually does more attacking in a back four as he has someone in front of him to cover when he bombs forward.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

Irvine for me is by far the biggest risk,he should only be used as a back up for injuries and suspensions.

Stelios can be a match winner and is nowhere near as bad as some make out.

Irvine isn't as bad as some make out either. Anyway, I'm not expressing an opinion on who is best, I'm saying that last season Stelios was backup to Eckersley and Irvine and this season could be the same, with Smith also in the mix.

17 minutes ago, GAD said:

Irvine isn't as bad as some make out either. Anyway, I'm not expressing an opinion on who is best, I'm saying that last season Stelios was backup to Eckersley and Irvine and this season could be the same, with Smith also in the mix.

Fair enough, I like the fact that Eckersley and Smith are both very good full backs at this level. Stelios is not really a natural full back in my opinion, I see him as an attacking midfielder.

56 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Fair enough, I like the fact that Eckersley and Smith are both very good full backs at this level. Stelios is not really a natural full back in my opinion, I see him as an attacking midfielder.

I love Stelios ,but I have the fear every time he plays ,even he doesn't know what he's going to do next :thumsup2

22 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

It was painful seeing an ex-QoS player cruise through that game at CM last night. How I'd have loved McShane to have came back to us :(

8 hours ago, steakpiegravy said:

Yeah I thought that too. Was wondering how two of our former top p[layers ended up at St Mirren. I'm in two minds about Reilly - always preferred Nicky Clark as a striker, but I'd have Lovejoy back in a heartbeat.

8 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Even without Dobbie I'd take McShane back ahead of Reilly. Holt has probably gone on to do the best of the 4 but of the 4 we've missed McShane the most imo.

McShane got off to a bit of a shaky start with us, with plenty of Saints fans not happy with him, and thinking he and McGinn couldn't play together.

I think some still feel that, and I've a feeling that he'll be the one to make way when Magennis eventually recovers from that pre-season 'friendly' injury.

I'm really glad we have him though as it's a squad game, as we've needed to show in these first 7 games with all the injuries and suspensions.

8 hours ago, steakpiegravy said:

It's annoying, but it makes sense.  Two guys who got moves to the top flight but couldn't sustain it at that level, join a bigger club than ours when dropping back down a division.

There's no doubt that we've missed McShane because he played in an area that's been permanently weaker since he vacated it.   I'd have loved to have seen Reilly back though.  He was a terrific front player for us.

Ian McShane is a decent enough footballer. However he is severely lacking a bit of dig about him. He put in one of the most pathetic attempts at a header, I've ever seen, against Dunfermline. He had a similar incident on Sunday late on. He is also very reluctant to go in for a 50/50. Good footballer, bit of a shitebag.

That is my only criticism of him so far.

Ian McShane is a decent enough footballer. However he is severely lacking a bit of dig about him. He put in one of the most pathetic attempts at a header, I've ever seen, against Dunfermline. He had a similar incident on Sunday late on. He is also very reluctant to go in for a 50/50. Good footballer, bit of a shitebag.

That is my only criticism of him so far.

If it’s a clogger you need will swap for Rankin....

Archived