St Mirren vs Queen of the South

57 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I can see why some Saints fans wouldn't be impressed by their showing tonight to be fair. It's a results business and given the season you had last season 3 points are all that matter after 90 minutes. But tonight wasn't exactly an impressive performance. As I've already said, the 3 goals were all easily prevented and had you been playing a team capable of doing basic defending I doubt a goal would have came. The 3rd goal was well taken but it should been dealt with before and after the strike. I can appreciate the backline was put together at the last minute almost and that there will be stronger players to come in but that doesn't hide the fact that going forward St Mirren weren't exactly cutting our back line apart. It got the job done tonight but how many times will you be gifted 3 goals a game?

Sour grapes/seething/salty tears but when I saw St Mirren last season at Palmerston in the midweek game I left the ground saying "How the hell are that team at the bottom of the league?!" (It was the best performance I recalled against us). Tonight I left saying "How the hell did we lose 3-1 tonight?!"

Well we are the second top scoring team in the league right now, averaging more than two goals a game (more than three at home) so even though we didn't cut your backline apart at all whilst sauntering to a 3-1 victory, we seem to have been doing ok on the goals front.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I can see why some Saints fans wouldn't be impressed by their showing tonight to be fair. It's a results business and given the season you had last season 3 points are all that matter after 90 minutes. But tonight wasn't exactly an impressive performance. As I've already said, the 3 goals were all easily prevented and had you been playing a team capable of doing basic defending I doubt a goal would have came. The 3rd goal was well taken but it should been dealt with before and after the strike. I can appreciate the backline was put together at the last minute almost and that there will be stronger players to come in but that doesn't hide the fact that going forward St Mirren weren't exactly cutting our back line apart. It got the job done tonight but how many times will you be gifted 3 goals a game?

Sour grapes/seething/salty tears but when I saw St Mirren last season at Palmerston in the midweek game I left the ground saying "How the hell are that team at the bottom of the league?!" (It was the best performance I recalled against us). Tonight I left saying "How the hell did we lose 3-1 tonight?!"

Going by the comments of their managers, we were seemingly gifted goals in our games against Falkirk, Dundee United and Caley Thistle too. Funny how often it keeps happening. Lucky old us.

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

Going by the comments of their managers, we were seemingly gifted goals in our games against Falkirk, Dundee United and Caley Thistle too. Funny how often it keeps happening. Lucky old us.

Indeed. We're so lucky. We've been consistently playing teams who've turned in their worst performances of the season since about 2007 now. A quite startling run, really. 

10 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

. Then St Mirren get a corner that never was, make a mess of it and still score anyway with Morgan hitting one from distance into the bottom corner again.

Away and shite!

From the TV coverage it's so clear that Stelios boots it off a Queens player, that Mr.Magoo could see the deflection.:lol:

Away and shite!
From the TV coverage it's so clear that Stelios boots it off a Queens player, that Mr.Magoo could see the deflection.:lol:

Also the queens player that the ball deflects off , runs straight into his defensive position for the corner. Doesn't complain at all

Well we are the second top scoring team in the league right now, averaging more than two goals a game (more than three at home) so even though we didn't cut your backline apart at all whilst sauntering to a 3-1 victory, we seem to have been doing ok on the goals front.

Indeed. We're so lucky. We've been consistently playing teams who've turned in their worst performances of the season since about 2007 now. A quite startling run, really. 

It's not a pop at St Mirren and I doubt you care as long as the goals continue. But as I say, I can see why some members of your support weren't exactly over the moon with last night's performance.

I don't know about the goals scored against other teams but last nights goals were all complete howlers from a defensive point of view.

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's not a pop at St Mirren and I doubt you care as long as the goals continue. But as I say, I can see why some members of your support weren't exactly over the moon with last night's performance.

I don't know about the goals scored against other teams but last nights goals were all complete howlers from a defensive point of view.

I reckon Nayidea  will be in for the Falkirk job 

Yesterday's result was very pleasing,considering it was a makeshift defence.

We seem to be the only club in the division with a serious early injury crisis

Hopefully we are nearing improvement there.

The  pleasing thing is there's no need to rush players back too soon and we're second top

39 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

We had a make shift defence 3 of which were very young when we went three goals Jack Ross made tactical changes to help protect our back line to hold on to what we have.  We normally play more attacking football but with injuries and suspensions we had 5 automatic first team players out thats a lot of players.  Im pleased that we can win comfortably when at our weak a good season ahead awaits. QOS have a good team there and will have good results along the way. 

34 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Morgan's goals were things of beauty. The ball comes near him  outside  the box and he just passes it straight into the net like he has done 8 times this season. Your keeper is not the only one to have lost similar goals. St Mirren never got out of 2nd gear yesterday and McGinn completely bossed the midfield. Yes we never played at our best but beating a team just below us before the match started and going 3-0 up was ok for a team not firing on all cylinders. We did strangely sit back when you scored which is not like us but given the number of fringe players we had on the park Jack obviously decided 3-1 would do. We cannot play like Barcelona in every game.

And before the match started many Buddies were very worried about Dobbie and Lyle playing against a back four where only 1 player was over 21 but to be honest your lethal strike force were not up to much. Overall I was pretty disappointed in Queens. I expected a lot more from them.

On 21/09/2017 at 16:50, smpar said:

St Mirren's only trick seemed to be to pass the ball to Morgan and hope he can beat 7 opposition players and the goalkeeper.

Keep him quiet and you'll be fine. 

How did your sound advice work out yesterday. Another two goals for Morgan while cruising along in 1st gear. 

1 hour ago, Demented Zebra said:

You are about 10 hours late. I'd already posted this!

Still, no harm in it being posted again. :)

As for the game, lots of positives, although a couple of negatives. The positives were just how well we played in the 1st half. Looked a little loose in the first 10 mins but built from there. Once we were 3 up the game was effectively over and it was just a case of seeing it out without to many errors - not something St Mirren are acclaimed for doing. Thought McCart did well, and for some reason reminded me of this guy..

Spoiler

article-1069053-02E858FA00000578-357_468

Celtic defender on loan, eh? Well imagine that...

In terms of negatives. Sadly I think Stellios is a complete liability. You only need to see the way he dealt with the long ball just after we scored. I think Ross was also a little miffed at his actions. Lovely guy as he is, his errors are going to cost us in the long run. Still that seems to be a bit unfair considering we won the game.

Morgan is surely gone by the new year...:( ...I can only hope that we strike a good deal, and that (J) McGinn moves at the same time landing us with enough cash to replace Morgan. Still, it's been a joy watching him play.

3 hours ago, FTOF said:

Away and shite!

Fair enough. I watched the first half when I got home last night but haven't seen the second half yet. There was plenty of complaint at the time and I saw some of our fans from behind the goal say it was never a corner.

Meant to add that from the tv coverage I did see I thought Stelios was a bit lucky to ONLY see yellow on that tackle on Rankin. He takes him out with studs up high on the shin, though he was being pulled back by Rooney just before it to be fair. It was a stupid challenge though.

Fair enough. I watched the first half when I got home last night but haven't seen the second half yet. There was plenty of complaint at the time and I saw some of our fans from behind the goal say it was never a corner.

You's should have had a corner right before that when Lyle's shot was deflected over.

Credit to Craig Samson yesterday btw. Really tricky conditions but his handling was excellent, even claimed a few crosses to take the pressure off the young defence.

13 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

You's should have had a corner right before that when Lyle's shot was deflected over.

Credit to Craig Samson yesterday btw. Really tricky conditions but his handling was excellent, even claimed a few crosses to take the pressure off the young defence.

Thought Samson was excellent yesterday apart from one horrific kick he got away with. His kicking has always been a bit suspect but he controlled his area very well yesterday.

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Thought Samson was excellent yesterday apart from one horrific kick he got away with. His kicking has always been a bit suspect but he controlled his area very well yesterday.

There was one moment of worry from my point of view where a Queens player hit a long range dig early on that Sammy got low and gathered. 

I couldn't see where the ball went for his body but he looked quickly behind himself as if it had squirmed through him and for about 1/10th of a second my arse collapsed a bit. 

Archived