St Mirren vs Queen of the South

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Typical raging currant bun. I know Saints fans moan a lot but fck me Lyle never stopped shouting at the officials.

He kept getting more and more enraged when our fans were directing comments towards him.

A meltdown to savour.:lol:

That was just a very strange game, the first 20 odd minutes we barely passed the ball but got in behind twice and seemed to be winning free headers at set pieces only to get in the way of each other.  I think Naysmith was trying to go for a physical side by picking his tallest possible team but when you play a striker out wide, a full back at right wing and a centre half a right back then problems are going to happen against a side with quality wingers. Combine that with Brownlie having a rotten game and Martin moving like a 39 year old post knee surgery  Roddy Mckenzie then I'd say that this shouldn't be a suprise.

I actually thought that playing away from home suits Kane a lot more, being a nuisance and a threat on the counter. On a wet pitch he looked like a handful in his cameo. McFadden worked well at Livi because the game turned into absolute chaos but against a team with actual full backs  he looked like a man who has multiple serious knee injuries, I like Stirling and the game was calling for some direct running and pace.  Ending the game with Dobbie winning the ball at his own corner summed up the afternoons decision making,  just totally wrong.

Brownlie had a rough game, he can't header the ball without climbing on a forward, he can't pass and the third goal partly came from him managing to mess up what felt like a 60:40 ball, as a centre half that is unacceptable. He seems immune from criticism but he's been the common denominator in the defences drop in form the last 3 seasons and he can't blame it on Dowie and Higgins either.  On the other hand I thought Kerr was our best player today, though I do need to see the goals again properly.  Going from a hyperactive manchild  to taking the 'stick the big lad in goals because he covers enough area' approach,  has found myself wishing for the sweet, comforting mediocrity of Robbie Thomson is a sad state of affairs. 

I thought the midfield actually battled ok but they are very limited destructive midfielders that offer next to nil going forward, that isn't a new revelation, but it's been like that for a while now and with one actual winger that doesn't  play, Danny Carmichael being somewhere next to Jimmy Hoffa and the mummified remains of James McFadden, the squad building has to be questioned.  I don't think it's a terrible squad by any stretch,   but as much as I hate the phrase, it doesn't seem like Naysmith knows what his best team is.  It's currently seems very convoluted with players not knowing their roles and a lack of consistency, we really need to bring it down to a simpler game plan or just stop trying to overthink opposition at times, the obvious calls are quite often the right one.

1 hour ago, Northfield 53 said:

We are again starting to lose games we should win  

St Mirren never at any time put us under pressure

Martin was very poor again think he had 4 shots to save saved 1 .Samson made a few good saves just done his job.

Not getting the breaks just now.

Lyle looked to have scored a good goal for me looked onside .

Kane was just in the box when the contact was made 100% a pen.

McFadden is sadly done his corners and that shot at the end were very poor he was worth a gamble  signing him but nowhere near good enough .

You think that was a game we should have won today? Really?

Lyle was clearly offside.

Kane was outside the box, ref got that decision spot on.

Queen of the South's midfield is so mediocre it's offensive.

There is nothing offensive about our midfield. That's the problem!

Queens played a long ball game looking for knock downs and free kicks.

We played the long ball as much as St Mirren tbh. There were several times you hit and hoped it.

Two crosses again. The first Martin has got to be keeping that out but for both of them I'd need to see the higlights to see who was supposed to be marking. Dreadful stuff. The third, again Martin has to be keeping it out but the majority of the blame goes to Brownlie for that one. I was in disbelief at him failing to clear the ball before it was laid off to the boy. It was as if he was running through toffee and the bollocking Dobbie and otherd gave him said it all. It probably made Naysmith's mind up about which CB to take off as well.

Three easily preventable goals tonight so the players have to shoulder some of the blame but for me Naysmith takes the brunt ahead of anyone else. I had no idea how that set-up was supposed to work and clearly the players were in the same boat. I assumed it was Marshall and Rooney at WB but given Rooney was more often in the middle I'm not so sure. We had an attack down the right in the first half and he was in the box. Is that a player not knowing the role or is it a direction from the boss? Either way it was ridiculous as it meant we had no one down the right. In the second half, on more than one occasion (before the changes) our widest right sided player was Fordyce. A CB ffs.

The lack of width is really frustrating given the players we have. Tapoing did well when he came on but he's not a RM. And Rooney was naturally blowing out his arse having to cover the whole right side.

St Mirren really were there for the taking tonight. But instead of playing our best 11 he opted for the Chisholm approach of lining up to stop the opposition playing. Awful.

McFadden adds nothing that our other strikers can't do. Given how poor we are in the middle of the park it's a ridiculous signing for a club like us. Stirling hasn't been a success but that game was screaming out for width and pace. How McFadden got on ahead of him beggars belief.

On to next week where we'll no doubt help ICT kick start their season.

Thought we were comfortable until Queens scored, then there was a bit of nerves, Samson made a couple of decent stops to keep it at 3-1.

Thought McCart looked pretty good considering he only arrived yesterday.

I was worried before today's game with our depleted defence, so good to get the 3 points.

1 hour ago, billyg said:

Don't be silly , you were never winning that today , Dobbie apart , you don't have one player that would get into the St Mirren side , and we have five first picks missing. Btw , I was in row E1 in the main stand , right in line with with Lyle and he was 2 yards off .

could see on tv live  he was offside

9 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Thought we were comfortable until Queens scored, then there was a bit of nerves, Samson made a couple of decent stops to keep it at 3-1.

Thought McCart looked pretty good considering he only arrived yesterday.

I was worried before today's game with our depleted defence, so good to get the 3 points.

Agree with all that, McCart was ok considering.

Liam Smith was my MotM, though obviously Morgan was the matchwinner. 

Didn't think we were that great, but given our selection issues it's a great result. I still worry about our striking options, and I'd feel happier if we had a proper mobile target man. 

Thought the game was ok, considering how greasy the conditions were. Thought Stelios was wearing loafers for the first ten minutes. Good to see him bursting out the box and riding two fouls that he could easiky have dived for, too.

I never even stood up for Lyle's goal. I automatically looked to the linesman as I thought he was off. The only question about that decision was whether it was going in without his assistance.

Didn't think it was even close to a penalty in the second half and I was at the opposite end.

30 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I never even stood up for Lyle's goal. I automatically looked to the linesman as I thought he was off. The only question about that decision was whether it was going in without his assistance.

Didn't think it was even close to a penalty in the second half and I was at the opposite end.

I don't think it was going in; looked like a driven cross to me.

And yes, the penalty claim was well outside the box. It was never even as close as the point the kick was taken from. Player did a decent job of taking a few steps before going down, though.

1 hour ago, Paul Cicero said:

My money would of been on Lyle !

Aye mine too. Wouldn't surprise me if Lyle waited outside for the guy afterwards. Would be sleeping with one eye open if I was him!

Two Smiths excellent, defence reasonably good in the circumstances. Quite funny scoring from a short corner routine that had gone badly wrong.

Hope the Queens fans had a safe journey home as the M74 wasn't fun.

I don't think it was going in; looked like a driven cross to me.
And yes, the penalty claim was well outside the box. It was never even as close as the point the kick was taken from. Player did a decent job of taking a few steps before going down, though.

I had a giggle at McFadden moving the ball into the box though.

On another note. Why was the casual ejected from the QoS end and what was going on there? Given the St Mirren fans started chanting at the stewards I assumed the boy in question was 'one of them'.

The state some of that section got themselves in with Rooney mouthing at them was hilarious as well. One fat nutcase came storming down the stairs and actually gestured as if he was going to slit Rooney's throat [emoji38]

Strange game. We didn't play very well (obviously) and the goals we lost were pretty criminal (probably - I need to see them again). St Mirren were clinical and deserved to win. Lewis Morgan haunts me. I've never seen a player so accurate at hitting the bottom corner of goal except Dobbie when he's at is best.  The sooner St Mirren accept a big money offer from Preston the better for the rest of us! Alex Neil was at the game, I'm presuming Morgan is the most likely player he was watching.

All that said, I didn't think St Mirren were all that good either and without having seen the stats I suspect we probably had more efforts on goal. They didn't look like they could defend a set piece all day, which is understandable given the makeshift back four, but we didn't take advantage. I thought we started reasonably well and could have been two up before the opener. Lyle should score when he prods one past Samson unmarked five yards or so out and Samson got lucky it bounced back to him off a defender. He also put one in when offside from Dobbie's ball in. I presume he was offside but he certainly didn't need to be.

The opening goal was a horror sbow. Smith should never be allowed to get the shot in and Martin appeared surprised by how bad a shot it actually was. It's a bad error from him but it should never have got to him. Second one followed quickly and wasn't a whole lot better as St Mirren got down the right too easily and again I'd need to see it but not sure Jason Kerr Darren Brownlie really had to backheel it out of his own box instead of turning it behind for a corner.

I thought we started the second half decently and Lyle should have done better from a close range shot which presumably should have been a corner since he Dobbie and Rankin were going ape at the referee about it. Then St Mirren get a corner that never was, make a mess of it and still score anyway with Morgan hitting one from distance into the bottom corner again.

Samson made good stops from Rooney and Fordyce, Kerr pulled a goal back from a fairly unmarked header, Dobbie went close with a free kick, Kane was fouled just outside the box and McFadden should have done much better with a late opportunity. We had chances but you can't give St Mirren a three goal start and expect to get something from the game. We really need to get something at Inverness to stay in touch with the playoff spots now.

A few Saints fans on Facebook bemoaning the performance. 

Yeah, we weren't at our best but we shipped 3 at home to Queen's in both home games last season in similar horror show manner to Queen's defending today. So give me a comfortable win every day of the week even of the performance isn't A+. 

We are in a much, much better place and some would be well advised to remember that. I hope those fans take stock of where we were after that horrendous 3-0 defeat at St. Mirren park in January 2017 and appreciate that today was a very good win in very difficult circumstances. 

3 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

We are again starting to lose games we should win  

St Mirren never at any time put us under pressure

Martin was very poor again think he had 4 shots to save saved 1 .Samson made a few good saves just done his job.

Not getting the breaks just now.

Lyle looked to have scored a good goal for me looked onside .

Kane was just in the box when the contact was made 100% a pen.

McFadden is sadly done his corners and that shot at the end were very poor he was worth a gamble  signing him but nowhere near good enough .

Erm...apart from rattling 3 goals past you:lol:

A few Saints fans on Facebook bemoaning the performance. 
Yeah, we weren't at our best but we shipped 3 at home to Queen's in both home games last season in similar horror show manner to Queen's defending today. So give me a comfortable win every day of the week even of the performance isn't A+. 
We are in a much, much better place and some would be well advised to remember that. I hope those fans take stock of where we were after that horrendous 3-0 defeat at St. Mirren park in January 2017 and appreciate that today was a very good win in very difficult circumstances. 

I can see why some Saints fans wouldn't be impressed by their showing tonight to be fair. It's a results business and given the season you had last season 3 points are all that matter after 90 minutes. But tonight wasn't exactly an impressive performance. As I've already said, the 3 goals were all easily prevented and had you been playing a team capable of doing basic defending I doubt a goal would have came. The 3rd goal was well taken but it should been dealt with before and after the strike. I can appreciate the backline was put together at the last minute almost and that there will be stronger players to come in but that doesn't hide the fact that going forward St Mirren weren't exactly cutting our back line apart. It got the job done tonight but how many times will you be gifted 3 goals a game?

Sour grapes/seething/salty tears but when I saw St Mirren last season at Palmerston in the midweek game I left the ground saying "How the hell are that team at the bottom of the league?!" (It was the best performance I recalled against us). Tonight I left saying "How the hell did we lose 3-1 tonight?!"

Archived