St Mirren vs Queen of the South

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

Eh? If he continues the way he's going he'll never be the best in this league as he'll be snapped up by a bigger club. If he comes back to finish his career in this division with Morton then at that point he'll likely be the best ;)

Yeah like I says unfortunately he wont be here much longer, he will go to an English club get ruined and come back like Tidser done, Quitongo's best option is to do a Griffiths and go to a team like Dundee, Motherwell show his ability at that level and go further

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Eh? If he continues the way he's going he'll never be the best in this league as he'll be snapped up by a bigger club. If he comes back to finish his career in this division with Morton then at that point he'll likely be the best ;)

Pure conjecture but I doubt it. Quitongo may go on to be a wonderful player, play for Scotland, etc but his game is about pace and power, it's not the sort of style that lends itself well to playing into your mid 30's in the way that Dobbie and Lyle have.

45 minutes ago, Young gun said:

What's the emergency loan system ,how does it work,would we get one for Sunday?

one for Skyline Drifter

You can take an emergency loan from another SPFL club for a minimum of 28 days and maximum of 93 days. You could get one any time you like as long as you haven't already used all your allowable loans for the year (which you clearly haven't). Despite the name there's no need to prove any genuine "emergency".

This is the final season for emergency loans. This time next year you won't be allowed them.

Pure conjecture but I doubt it. Quitongo may go on to be a wonderful player, play for Scotland, etc but his game is about pace and power, it's not the sort of style that lends itself well to playing into your mid 30's in the way that Dobbie and Lyle have.

See I think Lyle's game used to be all about pace and power. In his first spell I can't ever renember him as a player to hold the ball up it was all about pace (I was a lot younger so may be remembering wrong of course). But after his stint at Dunfermline I thought his control shot up to a far better level. And as he's gotten older his game has adapted to his abilities.

When he came back the second time around under Johnston I (and a quite a few others as I recall) wasn't exactly over the moon about it as I expected him to be done as he'd be older and a lot slower. Clearly his game didn't rely on pace and he was an excellent addition.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

See I think Lyle's game used to be all about pace and power. In his first spell I can't ever renember him as a player to hold the ball up it was all about pace (I was a lot younger so may be remembering wrong of course). But after his stint at Dunfermline I thought his control shot up to a far better level. And as he's gotten older his game has adapted to his abilities.

When he came back the second time around under Johnston I (and a quite a few others as I recall) wasn't exactly over the moon about it as I expected him to be done as he'd be older and a lot slower. Clearly his game didn't rely on pace and he was an excellent addition.

Lyle's game used to all be about pace when he was 21. It was never about power. He'd have been knocked over by a swift breath of wind.

But yes, I take the point and was conscious of it when I posted. Lyle very much changed his game to give himself longevity in the sport. That's very unusual though. Not many players manage that sort of complete change in the way they play and he'd need to do that to play into his 30's I think.

Just FYI I know that some Queens fans occasionally pay a visit to the Fox and Hounds  in Houston prior to Morton or St Mirren games. This Sunday is the beer festival from basically breakfast time till midnight. Various cask ales and bands on  - the entire street is closed to traffic with the Houston Inn also involved. Probably worth a visit if you have the time. St Mirren fans welcome too of course ;-)

12 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Quitongo has just turned 20 he will easily be the best striker in this league but unfortunately he wont be here in January :( I wouldn't say ' a long way to go ' that's a bit far.....

Not trying to wind you up here. The guy has some good footwork nice to watch but how many goals has he scored genuine question . Edit - just checked 2 goals so far six games in. Will have a look around December.  Certainly would take him in the stripes. How much do you think you will get in January and when is his contract up ?

Think Qeen's will win this game simply because we will have a make shift defence , 2 suspended 2 injured the QOS forward line have good  experience to capitalise on our weakness. So I see midfield back tracking to help out so can't see us playing our normal attacking style. We have hard workers and pace up front but feel they will be restricted. 
Season ticket holed but can't make they game as I will miss the last ferry home. 5pm Sunday kick off is hellish the fact Alba pay buttons the loss due to lower crowd level means you probably lose money. Who signs these tv contracts complete nuts.

This is the last thing we need - a glaring opportunity to exploit. I wouldn't worry too much - hopefully you don't get a man sent off into the bargain or it will be a certain home win.

12 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Not trying to wind you up here. The guy has some good footwork nice to watch but how many goals has he scored genuine question . Edit - just checked 2 goals so far six games in. Will have a look around December.  Certainly would take him in the stripes. How much do you think you will get in January and when is his contract up ?

The goals is a thing lacking in his game and Morton fans will be the first to admit that but he's scored 2 goals in his last two games and an assisted 1 while giving every team he has played a hell of a time and every fan knows that:) if the lad contributes by adding more goals & assists this season I reckon we could get a bit say 250k/300k ? look at some of the Falkirk players that have went for silly money lol. Just hope he doesn't go down south and ruin himself like most folk do.

The goals is a thing lacking in his game and Morton fans will be the first to admit that but he's scored 2 goals in his last two games and an assisted 1 while giving every team he has played a hell of a time and every fan knows that[emoji4] if the lad contributes by adding more goals & assists this season I reckon we could get a bit say 250k/300k ? look at some of the Falkirk players that have went for silly money lol. Just hope he doesn't go down south and ruin himself like most folk do.

You won't get anything close to that unless he's currently on a 5 year deal with Morton.

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

You won't get anything close to that unless he's currently on a 5 year deal with Morton.

The thing Morton should really focus on over a Quitongo transfer is the sell-on clause. Obviously there's a lot of risk in that because if he was going to say, an English Championship club he could get injured or might not cope at that level then return to Scotland on a free transfer etc, but with the kind of transfer fees being flung around at that level now it's a risk we should take.

If we were given a choice between, for example £250K with a 20% sell-on clause or £500K with no sell-on clause, I'd be taking the smaller sum of money up front in the knowledge that if he did do well at that level, his next move would be for millions. I'm by no means saying he is guaranteed to be a success at that level, but that's a decision the board are more than likely going to have to make soon. If it's Swansea we should ask for £8M with a 75% sell-on clause, considering how much Falkirk have managed to swindle out of them.

I've no clue on finances tbh. SD will know a lot more, but I'm sure Morton will have to get a development fee either way. I can't see any club paying a 6 figure transfer fee for a 20 year old playing in Scotland's second tier though. When is his contract up out of interest?

21 minutes ago, DumbartonBud said:

Is it Willie Collum's or Craig Thomson's turn to referee Saints this week?

Stephen Finnie ;)

19 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Eckersley red card has been appealed so presumably he'll play on Sunday.

Only if you presume he'll win the appeal. It will be heard on Thursday no doubt.

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I've no clue on finances tbh. SD will know a lot more, but I'm sure Morton will have to get a development fee either way. I can't see any club paying a 6 figure transfer fee for a 20 year old playing in Scotland's second tier though. When is his contract up out of interest?

I think he signed a one year extension last January did he not? If he leaves under freedom of contract Morton will get a compensation though he hasn't actually been there that long. He was at Aberdeen until a couple of years ago was he not so compensation would be limited. If he moves domestically they'd get relative peanuts. Obviously a lot more for a cross Border move but they'd likely get a lot more by selling in January than any compensation payment in the summer if he is out of contract then.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

His contract is up next summer

Archived