The mighty Raith v Airdrieunitedonians etc

Luckily I'm missing the game as I'm away for the weekend. Hopefully we have an actual manager in place for when I visit Starks Park for the first time next year. As for this game I'd take a 2/3-0 loss on the spot.

What is the deal with the manager situation at Airdrie?

As for the match, we will need to keep our discipline around our own box with Conroy on the field.

It would be good to score 5 at home for once but I would be delighted with a straightforward 2-0 win.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

What is the deal with the manager situation at Airdrie?

As for the match, we will need to keep our discipline around our own box with Conroy on the field.

It would be good to score 5 at home for once but I would be delighted with a straightforward 2-0 win.

Airdrie are basically in a state of permanent farce from what I gather. I know a lot of fans hate their club,  and their fan base, but I have a bit of sympathy given what we went through. They're essentially a more up to date version of us circa 2000-2005. Some ridiculous decisions, with frequent appearances in the red tops.  You've also got Colin McGowan in there too. Difficult time for their fans. 

Airdrie are basically in a state of permanent farce from what I gather. I know a lot of fans hate their club,  and their fan base, but I have a bit of sympathy given what we went through. They're essentially a more up to date version of us circa 2000-2005. Some ridiculous decisions, with frequent appearances in the red tops.  You've also got Colin McGowan in there too. Difficult time for their fans. 

The Airdrie team of the 90s (Doddies Diamonds) were never an easy team to love, but I always had a begrudging admiration for them, the way they punched above their weight and the way they managed to empty bigger clubs from cup competitions (especially Hibz'n'Hertz). Obviously I hope we beat them on Saturday, but no way could I ever hate them enough to wish Colin McGowan on them.

I don't suppose McGowan will be in attendance on Saturday will he?

15 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Doubt it. He's more involve with Accies and even then it's usually slavering some pish about how he's a miracle worker and doesn't like getting involved in boardroom matters. Which is exactly why he's involved in two clubs. 

15 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

The Airdrie team of the 90s (Doddies Diamonds) were never an easy team to love, but I always had a begrudging admiration for them, the way they punched above their weight and the way they managed to empty bigger clubs from cup competitions (especially Hibz'n'Hertz). Obviously I hope we beat them on Saturday, but no way could I ever hate them enough to wish Colin McGowan on them.

I was too young to really follow Rovers at that point, but it seems like one of these things which got escalated quite a lot like our rivalry with Falkirk at that point. 

The first Rovers game I went to was against Airdrie in 1997, which ended 1-1. Didn't really get the fuss. Fortunately my second game was a Craig Dargo inspired 4-1 win against St Mirren which got my interest a lot more. 

I wouldn't have thought so. Apparently he's the stadium director at Hamilton but never goes to away games with them.
Not sure if his involvement with Airdrie is official or on an unofficial advisory basis.
Whichever, it can only be bad news for them.

I know it's a match thread and it's off topic but I'm away to put on a DVD...

11 minutes ago, Kennboy1978 said:

I know it's a match thread and it's off topic but I'm away to put on a DVD...

It's beauty of supporting clubs like our own. Before the Ayr game, my mate and I were talking about games like Aberdeen away in the Scottish Cup, and beating Rangers in the Challenge Cup final. You don't get moments like it often. But when they come along, you remember them forever. 

9 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

I wouldn't have thought so. Apparently he's the stadium director at Hamilton but never goes to away games with them.
Not sure if his involvement with Airdrie is official or on an unofficial advisory basis.
Whichever, it can only be bad news for them.

In the day to day running of the club?  Officially unofficial.  Unofficially, who knows?

Outside of that, he's acting on behalf of the majority shareholder, who no longer has any official involvement in the running of the club having stepped down from the Chairmanship in the close season.  I believe he's been given the job of finding a buyer for the shares.

45 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

In the day to day running of the club?  Officially unofficial.  Unofficially, who knows?

Outside of that, he's acting on behalf of the majority shareholder, who no longer has any official involvement in the running of the club having stepped down from the Chairmanship in the close season.  I believe he's been given the job of finding a buyer for the shares.

Dalziel is his (McGowan's) day - day involvement.

12 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

It would be good to score 5 at home for once 

Check you. A few wins and Raith are suddenly Brazil. I don't think even Livi were suggesting five nil scuddings last season and they're a nightmare.

Anyway, leave the five nil (to Raith) predictions to Airdrie supporters! That's our job. 

27 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

Check you. A few wins and Raith are suddenly Brazil. I don't think even Livi were suggesting five nil scuddings last season and they're a nightmare.

Anyway, leave the five nil (to Raith) predictions to Airdrie supporters! That's our job. 

I did also say I would be delighted with a 2-0 win. At this stage churning out the wins to try and turn the screw with the gap at the top is the main thing, regardless of whether we win by 1 goal or 5 goals.

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I did also say I would be delighted with a 2-0 win. At this stage churning out the wins to try and turn the screw with the gap at the top is the main thing, regardless of whether we win by 1 goal or 5 goals.

It was tongue in cheek mate. You boys seem to be flying. We're not!

11 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

It was tongue in cheek mate. You boys seem to be flying. We're not!

Not aware we were playing you lot overseas, when did we take off.Oh wait its our first team angels who are testing their wings. 6/7-0 raith.

2 hours ago, Varna Rover said:

Not aware we were playing you lot overseas, when did we take off.Oh wait its our first team angels who are testing their wings. 6/7-0 raith.

I hope your team is better than your "banter" for your sake.  Dreadful effort

Anyone know which bit of the ground Airdrie fans will be in? I doubt we'll be bringing many so is the main stand likely?

Archived