The mighty Raith v Airdrieunitedonians etc

I applaud their openness in the 200 Club, but if the situation has shifted then much better just to be upfront with all fans and announce on the website or wherever 'look guys, things have changed because of x, y and z' Most fans would understand. That's much better than the news dripping out in half conversations and hearsay on online forums. 

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, roverthemoon said:

I applaud their openness in the 200 Club, but if the situation has shifted then much better just to be upfront with all fans and announce on the website or wherever 'look guys, things have changed because of x, y and z' Most fans would understand. That's much better than the news dripping out in half conversations and hearsay on online forums. 

Don't we have an official website for that ?

2 hours ago, Beastie Russell said:

Don't we have insurance for our players ?

In short, no.

Go back to Callum Elliot getting released and moaning in the red tops that the club wouldn't pay for his operation.

Go back to Mark Campbell when we actually did have insurance, the insurers wouldn't pay up for his procedures and recovery so the board decided that paying premiums for f**k all wasn't worth the investment and since have paid for this themselves.

Just now, Zen Archer said:

In short, no.

Go back to Callum Elliot getting released and moaning in the red tops that the club wouldn't pay for his operation.

Go back to Mark Campbell when we actually did have insurance, the insurers wouldn't pay up for his procedures and recovery so the board decided that paying premiums for f**k all wasn't worth the investment and since have paid for this themselves.

Understand Campbell's as that wasn't a football related injury.

Just thought it might have been SFA/SPFL policy.

2 hours ago, Beastie Russell said:

Don't we have insurance for our players ?

I believe we used to but unless mistaken no longer do.  Perhaps the 3 seasons of Craig Barr made the premiums too prohibitive.

Perhaps a little unfair on Mango.  Some memorable injuries in the last 3 seasons.

Craig Barr 3 Ops (knee, groin)

Kev Cuthbert 2 Op's (groin)

McHattie 2 Op's (Hernia and Groin)

Lennox 1 or 2 Op's (jaw and arm)

Callachan 1 Op (hand)

Laidlaw 1 Op' (liver)

Vaughan 1 Op (Knee)

Add to this long term injuries to:

Thomson (previous 2 seasons)

Add in the other injuries to Mark Stewart and various others, it's fair to say we seem to get lots of injuries hence my earlier question regarding plastic pitches.

Apologies to any other cripples I've missed.

3 hours ago, rw89 said:

Fair play to Scotty for answering the questions. I guess we just need to look at Airdrie to remember how lucky we are to get answers from our board rather than having a group of shysters who don't answer any questions.

Cheers, I'm no official messenger just a supporter that heard bad news on Sat and went looking for confirmation of it yesterday.    On this occasion (as with a few occasions last season) it looks very much like the board were left red faced as they were all geared up to give us good news but had the rug pulled from under them.  

For what it's worth supporters have perfectly  a valid point, it seems sometimes the only way to get anything out of them is by being blunt and direct.  Then again I don't think Raith Rovers are any different to any other team, organisation or even government who will trumpet good news from the rooftops but when this aren't so good go remarkably silent when trying to sit on or even  bury bad news.

With regard to there being as yet no official news on the issue emanating from SP it's more than likely that the board haven't given up entirely on this and are trying desperately to secure some additional money to give to Smith, if they do then it'll all come out in the wash and if not.......  more likely it'll be buried and they'll hope it's forgotten about.  

If it does still happen a three month emergency loan deal would take us nicely up to the opening of the transfer window, I've not given up a seeing a new face come in and  wouldn't be at all surprised if we were to read in the Press that some individual or organisation/s had stepped in and offered the club a few thousand to make something like that happen.

Funnily enough Steaky I just read that on the other thread and actually came back to mention it.  I would guess another cheque or two from other forum members would go a long way to making things happen.

6 hours ago, Scottydog said:

I am no apologist for the board and I think the host of mistakes they made last season were utterly appalling and merited a far better apology that the one we eventually got, and a few of them have been told as much to their face.

However I don't think the highlighted above is entirely accurate, I've been often told that all members of the board are available and willing to discuss anything at all to any fan who asks (as long as it doesn't involve personal contract details). To some extent this is regularly proved accurate by board members coming into the 200 club pre-match. Don't be mislead this isn't an exclusive scoop for only 200 club members I only mention it foremost as that's where I see them most, they also go amongst fans in the  Jim McMillan club, Main stand bar and into the south stand concourse pre games. You'll often find various board members going about talking to fans before (and after) most if not every game. You just about always see one or two members of the board milling about and they are there to be approached. The only downside being that their availability is usually limited to between half one and a quarter past two as they also have to offer hospitality to visiting directors.  

Any fans who feel that issues aren't getting adequately dealt with, if they can't get down early to speak with someone about it there's nothing to stop anyone contacting the club directly. I had several discussions in this manner with Turnbull during his time on the board and he always willingly talked to me about things.  I go out of my way to have dialogue with them frequently as sometimes what they do and say  goes against the grain with me, the installation of a synthetic surface being a case in point.  

The contact details are all here http://www.raithrovers.net/contact

scotty,its not a dig at you 

Theres a way to communicate with supporters I just dont agree with how they have gone about this snippet.It breeds rumours

Personally this kind of info should have been kept inhouse or a brief statement put on the official site which is the ideal platform for connecting with all supporters

Not a member of 200 club or Jim McMillan club and not at the ground between half 1 ,quarter past 2 so have never come across any of the board members but  like you had numerous conversations with big TH and ED

Regards contacting the club.Had reason to email them beginning of the week regarding the game against  Ayr Utd on the Saturday .No reply

On ‎23‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 21:16, Airdrie76 said:

Two goalkeeping errors cost Airdrie the game. For all the five nil chat, it looked like two average teams. Raith certainly had more possession but weren't really threatening.  Fair enough though, they're the results that win you the league. Sure Raith will play better, not sure we will. An expected defeat but not with the grandeur we were led to believe. 

Just watched the highlights out of curiosity - looked pretty desperate. Two big mistakes from the keeper cost Airdrie big style. Raith seem to have worked out pretty quickly how to win games without playing particularly well - took us 3 seasons.........

24 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

Just watched the highlights out of curiosity - looked pretty desperate. Two big mistakes from the keeper cost Airdrie big style. Raith seem to have worked out pretty quickly how to win games without playing particularly well - took us 3 seasons.........

I think Airdrie deserve credit for stifling the game. A lot of people will look at it and say we've struggled, but part of it was down to the tactics the opposition used. We struggled against the 5 in midfield, while Furtado's pace combined with long balls provided a few opportunities.

Fortunately, our squad seem to be quite a patient bunch.  A few headcases in the crowd were on their back but eventually we got the breakthrough.

53 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

Yeah, no disrespect identended to them, they look like they'll win the league after all based on the first few games so deserve credit.

The game could easily have fizzled out nil nil but Ferguson drops a clanger and we're beat. I've not watched the second back but I was right in line with it and it looked like he should have done better on it too. Im sure I read that our oldest player was 24 with everyone else under 21 (sounds right but I've not checked). Confidence will be a big factor as the season unfolds. We can't be gifting goals.

As for them, these are the types of wins that  get titles so fair play. 

Archived