Examining Brendan Rodgers financial claims...

ggr

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Snafu said:

Where did the average annual pay of £42,606 at Hamilton Accies come from?

I would have thought around 50% of that would be closer to the correct answer

From the last Sports Salaries Survey (link's in the first post)

2 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

The OP really loves that "playing to the gallery" bullshit.

You're right, he knew everyone would lap up a fallacious "whit aboot the disparity between Sellick and Stirling Albion" type diatribe when he posted about Rodgers' comments. I'm surprised a dullard like you spotted the blatant playing to the gallery going on.

The OP really loves that "playing to the gallery" bullshit.

Tbf there is a lot of that in the context of the Old Firm on here. The biggest culprits are the ones who spend half their time psych evaluating people's reasons for following either side of the Old Firm.

Reported that 120,000 Neymar PSG shirts have been sold since his arrival
that's worth about 7.8m
how can Celtic compete with that?

Putting someone better looking than Scott Brown and Leigh Griffiths in the club shop windows advertising their shirts?

8 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Same here

I prefer having an appetite for munchies after a game

can't see the point eating just a couple of hours after lunch

It just got my attention being Dominos

At ICT we have our own Pizzagate rumbling which was about Dominos pizzas being given to players after our 4-2 defeat to St. Mirren

rumblings about the squads overall fitness

You are obsessed with Dominos, they are shit. 

1 hour ago, jupe1407 said:

Rodgers is merely demonstrating the OF mentality.

Celtic compared to Hamilton: "haw haw youse are pyoor diddies, it's yer own fault you're shite"

Celtic compared to PSG: "It's noooooo fair!!! CLARIFICATION"

Any manager with the merest trace of intelligence would stay away from the subject of relative resources. However, it's Brendan (and Sir Wattie) we're talking about here.

It's a really simple point, and quite strange that people even have to discuss it.

Of course Celtic have no chance of competing with PSG in a CL group, and of course Ross County, Motherwell, Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee etc have absolutely no chance of competing with Celtic over a season. But no club ever likes to think of their successes as being somehow easy or illegitimate. I actually know a PSG fan who reckons that people talk too much about the money his club has and should only talk about football. All clubs fans are the same. They hate having their success talked down.

The fact is that Celtic's current domestic success is completely meaningless. They're winning in a situation where they can't lose, which leads them into the Champions League in which they can't win, but gives them money to go back to the Scottish league and ensure that they can't lose again. It's a massive waste of time, and I find it incredible that they're still managing to con so many people out of cash to watch them play. If I was a Celtic fan, I'd have binned it by now.

I didn't want Celtic to qualify for the Champions League. Not just because I don't like them, but because the amount of money they pick up for getting horsed makes the chance of any competition in our game even more remote. And spare me the mince about 'solidarity' payments. Hardly relevant when the team that's already the richest in the country will coin in tens of millions for a few nights' work.

I know Celtic fans tend to view this as bitterness and often like to go with the 'get your own house in order and challenge' line of argument. I find this quite funny, as I'd love someone to point out what exactly the other clubs could do that they haven't done yet. Clubs have spent a lot of money on new training grounds, clubs have the best scouting networks they've ever had, clubs have even moved to plastic pitches to maximise the revenue they can get from their facilities, clubs have built new stadiums and redeveloped old ones, almost all clubs in Scotland make an effort in their local community to engage and bring people in, clubs spend months trying to devise a package that will entice the biggest possible number of people to buy season tickets, clubs have even tried spending loads more on players than they can afford.

The bottom line is that there's nothing that can be done. It's a telling sign of insecurity to see Celtic's manager try to dismiss what is in front of his face.

8 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

FFP is not there to stop the big clubs spending but to prevent wee clubs being taken over and having money thrown at them ie protect the clique that dominate the European game.

It's no coincidence that the more they are protected that the lower the audiences are for CL football.

As for Celtic - they are hypocritical shitebags of the first degree - they moan about lack of domestic competition yet are the first to try and increase their share of the domestic money pot.

Don't let vT hear you say that!

1 hour ago, JTS98 said:

It's a really simple point, and quite strange that people even have to discuss it.

Of course Celtic have no chance of competing with PSG in a CL group, and of course Ross County, Motherwell, Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee etc have absolutely no chance of competing with Celtic over a season. But no club ever likes to think of their successes as being somehow easy or illegitimate. I actually know a PSG fan who reckons that people talk too much about the money his club has and should only talk about football. All clubs fans are the same. They hate having their success talked down.

The fact is that Celtic's current domestic success is completely meaningless. They're winning in a situation where they can't lose, which leads them into the Champions League in which they can't win, but gives them money to go back to the Scottish league and ensure that they can't lose again. It's a massive waste of time, and I find it incredible that they're still managing to con so many people out of cash to watch them play. If I was a Celtic fan, I'd have binned it by now.

I didn't want Celtic to qualify for the Champions League. Not just because I don't like them, but because the amount of money they pick up for getting horsed makes the chance of any competition in our game even more remote. And spare me the mince about 'solidarity' payments. Hardly relevant when the team that's already the richest in the country will coin in tens of millions for a few nights' work.

I know Celtic fans tend to view this as bitterness and often like to go with the 'get your own house in order and challenge' line of argument. I find this quite funny, as I'd love someone to point out what exactly the other clubs could do that they haven't done yet. Clubs have spent a lot of money on new training grounds, clubs have the best scouting networks they've ever had, clubs have even moved to plastic pitches to maximise the revenue they can get from their facilities, clubs have built new stadiums and redeveloped old ones, almost all clubs in Scotland make an effort in their local community to engage and bring people in, clubs spend months trying to devise a package that will entice the biggest possible number of people to buy season tickets, clubs have even tried spending loads more on players than they can afford.

The bottom line is that there's nothing that can be done. It's a telling sign of insecurity to see Celtic's manager try to dismiss what is in front of his face.

Eloquently put, Sir.

5 hours ago, JTS98 said:

It's a massive waste of time, and I find it incredible that they're still managing to con so many people out of cash to watch them play. If I was a Celtic fan, I'd have binned it by now.

That's why the footballing authorities in this country did and will continue to do everything possible to keep "Rangers" going at a level where they can at least nominally be credible opponents.

On 9/16/2017 at 18:23, wastecoatwilly said:

The Hoops team hammered 5-0 by Paris-Saint Germain cost £22.5million to assemble, while the French outfit’s tally was around £500million.

There is an argument Hoops’ experience among Europe’s elite is similar to what other domestic clubs go through coming up against the Parkhead side.

But Rodgers insisted: “It’s totally different. With all due respect, when you are working with that level of player, you see the difference.

“I understand the relative comparisons that get made.

“But it’s totally different because of that level of player and belief.

“It makes it more difficult for clubs like us from countries like ourselves.

Just as boring as Boring Boring Brendan.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

On 16/09/2017 at 12:32, Monkey Tennis said:

Bollocks.

Rodgers quite simply thinks it's unfair that certain clubs have big advantages over his; yet perfectly fair that his has big advantages over others.

There really is nothing more nuanced or subtle going on here.  It's a nakedly self serving bleat.

So despite us spending well within our means we should get punished for being a bigger club than anyone else in Scotland? 

10 minutes ago, gannonball said:

So despite us spending well within our means we should get punished for being a bigger club than anyone else in Scotland? 

Why are yourselves and Sevco so much bigger than other clubs in Scotland?

This is reminiscent of Martin O'Neill's meltdown when Man United signed Liam Miller, having a tantrum about how unfair it was that big clubs could swoop in and steal a promising player from a smaller club who were powerless to stop it. That was the same season he signed Didier Agathe and Stephen Pearson, while he managed the likes of Rab Douglas and Javier Sanchez Broto in his time at the club.

The hypocrisy and lack of self-awareness at that club is deep-rooted. 

Archived