Examining Brendan Rodgers financial claims...

ggr

From BBC Website -

"Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers feels Fifa must start imposing financial fair play rules, highlighting the massive spending and wage paying capabilities of Europe's big clubs. (Sun)
And Rodgers insists the financial advantage Celtic have over the rest of Scottish football cannot be equated to the gulf between his side and PSG. (Scotsman)"

OK.
Lets try to equate this anyway. How about using player salaries as the guage? According to the latest Global Sports Salaries Survey (http://www.globalsportssalaries.com/)

PSG's average annual pay is £4,476,835
Celtic's average annual pay is £717,860
Hamilton Accies average annual pay is £42,606

i.e.  PSG's AAP is around 6 times that of Celtic
Celtic's AAP is however, around 16 times that of Hamilton, and 13 times that of the bottom six teams in the Scottish Premiership.

I see that Mr. Rodgers is calling for FIFA to introduce rules to address this gulf.
Can we assume that he would also support similar initiatives to reduce the (even larger) gap within the domestic game?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, ggr said:

From BBC Website -

"Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers feels Fifa must start imposing financial fair play rules, highlighting the massive spending and wage paying capabilities of Europe's big clubs. (Sun)
And Rodgers insists the financial advantage Celtic have over the rest of Scottish football cannot be equated to the gulf between his side and PSG. (Scotsman)"

OK.
Lets try to equate this anyway. How about using player salaries as the guage? According to the latest Global Sports Salaries Survey (http://www.globalsportssalaries.com/)

PSG's average annual pay is £4,476,835
Celtic's average annual pay is £717,860
Hamilton Accies average annual pay is £42,606

i.e.  PSG's AAP is around 6 times that of Celtic
Celtic's AAP is however, around 16 times that of Hamilton, and 13 times that of the bottom six teams in the Scottish Premiership.

I see that Mr. Rodgers is calling for FIFA to introduce rules to address this gulf.
Can we assume that he would also support similar initiatives to reduce the (even larger) gap within the domestic game?

I think he was more going on about Celtic,much like Hamilton spend well within their means but PSG do not.

Also the top end of the transfer market has gone crazy well as the bottom end has not risen as much. 

I do think their is much the same gulf between gulf though between Rodgers Celtic and your average Scottish premiership team though as Celtic and PSG.

18 minutes ago, ggr said:

Actually, I quite like Brendan Rodgers, I just thought his claims about the financial gulf seemed a bit bogus.

I don't.

GD's concise summing up is closer to my thinking.

7 minutes ago, well91 said:

If a club have the cash they spend it. End of story. This thread will be as predictable as any other on here. Will soon deteriorate into personal abuse.

F*** off!

17 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I think he was more going on about Celtic,much like Hamilton spend well within their means but PSG do not.

Also the top end of the transfer market has gone crazy well as the bottom end has not risen as much. 

Bollocks.

Rodgers quite simply thinks it's unfair that certain clubs have big advantages over his; yet perfectly fair that his has big advantages over others.

There really is nothing more nuanced or subtle going on here.  It's a nakedly self serving bleat.

45 minutes ago, ggr said:

Actually, I quite like Brendan Rodgers, I just thought his claims about the financial gulf seemed a bit bogus.

I think Brendan omitted another key difference.  In Europe the referees are from neutral countries whereas in Scotland he is consistently gifted referees from just along the road which allows Scott Brown especially the  freedom to do as he wishes without retribution.

Archived