Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

MSU

Just discovered that the BBC series from the 80s is on The Hulu. On the last episode now and although it's obviously aged a little, it's still absolute genius. So many cracking lines from the series and the books but the one that made me laugh the loudest tonight was when the gang find Marvin the Paranoid Android in the car park of the Restaurant at the End of the Universe, who they had abandoned minutes before for them, but considerably longer for him:

MARVIN: The first ten million years were the worst. Then the second ten million, they were the worst too. The third ten million, I didn't enjoy at all. After that, I went into a bit of a decline.

If memory serves, thanks to time travel, Marvin ends up being several times older than the universe. Brilliant.

Any other fans out there?

I'm sure I read Douglas Adams wasn't keen on doing a TV adaptation, because trying to do it visually just wouldn't work. In particular, the shot of the earth exploding. He didn't want to show it, just Arthur's reaction but TV producers insisted on it.

I used to listen to the radio show a lot in the car when I was young, I think it was the best version. Read the books, but as Raidernation said, there's a real decline in quality.

5 hours ago, MSU said:

Any other fans out there?

I enjoyed the tv series at the time and have it on dvd somewhere.

The film less so. 

Not read the books. Not going to either.

The film should have been great given the budget, but was a pile of shite with the only redeeming feature being Alan Rickman's voicing of Marvin.

I watched the tv series last year after finding it online, still enjoyable.

Only ever read the first book, keep meaning to give the others a go.

I'm tempted to watch the film again just to remember how shit it was. Pretty sure it was the worst film ever made in the entire history of the planet, given the quality of the script it had to work from. Should be an entry in the guide.

On 9/16/2017 at 02:55, Raidernation said:

You really want to track down t radio audio cassettes/cd (oh f**k I'm old) You'd love them

I've nothing to play them on these days :o 

:( 

22 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Is Peter Davidson still pumping her???

She's been a mere memory in Davidson's w**k bank since they divorced in the mid 90s. Seems she's currently married to someone 20 years younger than her. I'm not sure if 48 still qualifies as young cock.

The best version of Hitchhikers Guide is the original radio series from the 1970s. Then it's the book. Then the TV show. The utterly dreadful movie isnt worth considering.

The TV show is ok and they retained most of the radio cast for the main roles but Sandra Dickinson just really annoys me.

On another Douglas Adams note, the 2 radio series of Dirk Gently are both pretty good and the Netflix TV show, whilst not based on any Douglas Adams story, is really really good.

On 9/27/2017 at 07:12, EdinburghPar1975 said:

The Audiobook read by Stephen Fry is pretty good. I've forgotten most of the film...probably a good thing

The audiobooks I got were read by Martin Freeman who was clearly suffering from a cold. To add insult to injury, they were abridged. Would've been fuming if I hadn't torrented them.

Archived