Squad face Slovenia and Slovakia

20 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I clearly remember it being introduced for the 2009 play offs after groups to protect France. I also remember Ireland going mad as it was not in rules pre qualification games. In fact a quick Internet search articulates this... so yes, last minute.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/republic-of-ireland/6320296/Shay-Given-blasts-Fifa-over-decision-to-seed-World-Cup-play-offs.html

Ireland were just moaning. It was used in the previous qualifying tournament so why, exactly, would FIFA have to re-articulate that they were using the same rules as last time?

From the article:

Fifa's change of heart on the play-offs – it had been assumed that there would be an open draw – was declared after a meeting in Rio de Janeiro on Sept 29.

Why exactly would anyone assume they would change the rules compared to the time before? That makes no sense at all. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Juse seen Gordon got his 50th cap last night.  Would never have thought it would take him til 2017 to reach that had someone asked you a decade ago.

Also, Fletcher is on 78.  He'd be pushing for eventual entry into the 100 club you'd think had he not lost those 2 years

Not qualifying for a single tournament during his career also hindered that as well. Teams usually play 2-3 warm up games, plus 3 group games at a tournament at least. If he played for a side that regularly qualified he'd probably have an extra 20-30 caps.

Just now, Diamonds are Forever said:

Not qualifying for a single tournament during his career also hindered that as well. Teams usually play 2-3 warm up games, plus 3 group games at a tournament at least. If he played for a side that regularly qualified he'd probably have an extra 20-30 caps.

True, but he missed out on a period where we played an awful lot of friendlies if I recall.  He'd likely have overtake Jim Leighton on 91 by now at least

The game plan seemed to be getting as much crosses into the box as possible and hope griffiths was there everytime.
Distribution at points was good, and at times it was terrible. Phillips being the prime candidate with it, amount of times he tried to take players on again and again instead of passing or putting the ball in wasn’t real. We were unlucky at times with martins shot, griffiths free kick, morrison shot hitting the shin instead of a proper connection on it. Going two up top did help create more of a threat. And we got what we deserved in the end. I hope i am saying the same thing on sunday night.
For the meantime, its good that we still have a chance.
Sunday won’t be easy, but if we show the commitment that we did last night, then there is every chance.

2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Tbf we also participate in post-season/pre-tournament warm-ups.

Since he debuted 7 tournaments ago we've played 9 such games (Estonia, Trinidad & Tobago, Bulgaria, Japan, Czech Rep, USA, Nigeria, Italy, France). We also played Wales and Eire in that "Nations Cup" debacle in 2011.

Bigger difference is we 'pass-up' 2 friendlies per season compared to most other nations. Plus, as noted, missing finals tournaments.

Could be that Strachan told him he wouldn't be playing.

Leaves us a bit threadbare for wide men doesn't it? Just Forrest, Phillips and Snodgrass left.
Not sure there's anyone else we could call on anyway but if Fraser isn't injured it seems like madness to drop him.

Leaves us a bit threadbare for wide men doesn't it? Just Forrest, Phillips and Snodgrass left.

Not sure there's anyone else we could call on anyway but if Fraser isn't injured it seems like madness to drop him.

I've got no idea but recall that happening before.

Pretty much means Phillips and Forrest are starting again. Obviously a few that can play out wide but we clearly need pace out there to work with our style of play so can't think of many to call up!

We need to shake it up a wee bit with fresh legs so I would likely have started Fraser.

I've got no idea but recall that happening before.

Pretty much means Phillips and Forrest are starting again. Obviously a few that can play out wide but we clearly need pace out there to work with our style of play so can't think of many to call up!

We need to shake it up a wee bit with fresh legs so I would likely have started Fraser.

I think we need a shake up through centre mid. The back 4, wingers, and grif should stay in.

We need more pace. Is mcgregor the quickest we've got in the middle?

The criticism of Forrest completely ignores the job he does defensively. I counted two times in the first half alone where he tracked back and dispossessed a Slovak player, returning the ball to Scotland which then allowed us to attack again. He looked a threat whenever he got the ball and worked his socks off. He's been accused of hiding in previous games but he was always looking to get involved last night and, again, his defensive work was excellent.

Archived