Squad face Slovenia and Slovakia

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This debate about grinding out last-minute winners... I suppose you could say needing last-minute winners or equalisers is a negative, not a positive :lol:.

It's happened before anyway - last minute winners v Georgia (Euro 2008 qualifying), Liechtenstein (Euro 2012) and away to FYR Macedonia (WC 2014).

Also last 10mins winner at home to FYR Macedonia (WC 2010) and to rescue a draw at home to Czech Rep (Euro 2012).

This campaign with 4 shows grit - but also riding our luck.

As much as I've been critical of Strachan during his tenure at times, on this occasion - the last few games particularly - we've a) looked a threat most times, b) defended pretty well and c) kept going despite some rotten luck (tonight especially).
Griffiths was again outstanding and a lot of the credit for the goal goes to him for a class touch and willingness to not lose possession.  Those who criticised Anya's introduction should also realise that had Tierney stayed on I don't think that kind of chance would have been created as for me Tierney, bar a couple of times, was always slowing down to play it on his left foot whereas Anya had the pace to get into the box and get the ball in (not a criticism of Tierney btw, just that as Strachan said post-match he looked uncomfortable in that position at times)
Phillips was the big let down for me, poor touches at times, reluctant to take men on and a bit ponderous.  And the midfield admittedly lacked the kind of energy of the past couple of games (I personally would have McGregor in against Slovenia mainly for that attacking threat he will offer, similar to what Armstrong has been doing).
Finally, as much as we've berated the defence, it's good to see a settled back line now, and I thought Berra and Mulgrew again looked really composed - three clean sheets in a row is something we'd have been desperate for at the start of this campaign

Couldnt disagree with anything there. Particularly about Griffiths. Hes absolutely shown up those who said hes out if his depth in international football. Hes a huge nuisance to defenders even on high balls n works both incredibly hard but very intelligently. Id say him starting is a huge factor in us turning our form around.

6 minutes ago, PB 4.2 said:

Mulgrew is considerably better than Berra and really good in possession. 

Mulgrew is one of those odd players, who ain't really all that good (hence he's playing in League One) but always does well for his national team.

This debate about grinding out last-minute winners... I suppose you could say needing last-minute winners or equalisers is a negative, not a positive [emoji38].

It's happened before anyway - last minute winners v Georgia (Euro 2008 qualifying), Liechtenstein (Euro 2012) and away to FYR Macedonia (WC 2014).

Also last 10mins winner at home to FYR Macedonia (WC 2010) and to rescue a draw at home to Czech Rep (Euro 2012).

Big difference between the quality of side though, that's the point I'm getting at. Wasn't the Czech game a must-win game similar to tonight's?

Darren Fletcher was excellent tonight. My only complaint about him was not wearing number 7 but that’s just OCD.
Bannan and Morrison were extremely poor in the first half, but Bannan was really good when he moved out to the left.
We were quite pedestrian at times, but I think that was down to them being well-organised more than anything. They also played some really nice stuff. That dive though :lol:
Roll on Sunday.

Couldnt disagree with anything there. Particularly about Griffiths. Hes absolutely shown up those who said hes out if his depth in international football. Hes a huge nuisance to defenders even on high balls n works both incredibly hard but very intelligently. Id say him starting is a huge factor in us turning our form around.

I think he’s an odious individual, and he’d be first out the side if there was another alternative. Clearly, at this point, there isn’t. He very obviously Scotland’s first choice in their current set up.

Terrific result. We really should have been at least 3 goals to the good. 
In saying that, I can’t believe Bannan lasted 90 minutes. I thought he was terrible.

Find it very odd that theres such a strong split ie those who thought that him n morrison were good n those who thought they were both rotten. Didnt see anything at all from either tbh. Kinda weird that we all interpret a game so differently.

Thought we were OK tonight, weren't blistering but got the job done. Our build up play can be painfully slow mind, don't think Fletcher helps with that. I felt Bannan was hot and cold tonight, some nice touches but some poor passes. Phillips and Forrest were pretty average as was Tierney second half. Morrison, Griff and Robertson  were all pretty good.  Centre halves and Gordon were fine too, didn't have that much to worry about, few hairy moments but that's to be expected.

I think the key thing to take away is we're still in it and we did so without playing anywhere near as well as we can. Well in big Chris.

10 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Interesting definitions. 

We beat Macedonia 2-0 at home in the WC 2010 qualifiers(2nd goal in 80th minute) and "rescued" a 2-2 draw against the Czech Rep despite being 2-1 up going into injury time.

1 minute ago, dogmc said:

Find it very odd that theres such a strong split ie those who thought that him n morrison were good n those who thought they were both rotten. Didnt see anything at all from either tbh. Kinda weird that we all interpret a game so differently.

I thought Bannan was poor in the first half but improved massively in the second.

1 minute ago, ancientnoise said:

Our Salvatore Schillaci?*

*May have pushed the boat out a bit there, but get your meaning.

I was thinking something along the lines of Miroslav Klose who while he had a successful club career didn't ever seem to hit the kind of heights he did for his country.  I know there's no direct comparison, but Mulgrew offers us the kind of composure we wouldn't get with a say Hanley or a Russell Martin, and I think Berra is actually a good foil for him in defence, hence why the partnership has worked so well so far.

Thought we were OK tonight, weren't blistering but got the job done. Our build up play can be painfully slow mind, don't think Fletcher helps with that. I felt Bannan was hot and cold tonight, some nice touches but some poor passes. Phillips and Forrest were pretty average as was Tierney second half. Morrison, Griff and Robertson  were all pretty good.  Centre halves and Gordon were fine too, didn't have that much to worry about, few hairy moments but that's to be expected.

I think the key thing to take away is we're still in it and we did so without playing anywhere near as well as we can. Well in big Chris.

Fletcher was there to help us get a clean sheet n he helped achieve that. Easily our best midfielder over the 90. Suspect he could lap Phillips n morrison in a race around the 6 yard box. Totally agree about Martin

Archived