Squad face Slovenia and Slovakia

Just now, Diamonds are Forever said:

How many of Robertson's crosses actually found a man? He would have been a brilliant player in the 1990's, when everyone played with 2 central strikers and an attacking midfielder making runs into the box, his 'run forward 30 yards and whip a ball into the box' routine would have worked a treat in the likes of the Newcastle and Man Utd sides of the mid 90's. Nowadays, when most sides play with one striker, normally with their back to goal, that routine is pretty wasteful. The number of times a game he apparently puts in a 'great ball' in games, yet it hardly ever results in anything. That's why he's not getting as much game time at Liverpool as people seem to want/expect, he needs to improve his decision making. I like him as a player and he gives us a great option, but he more than anyone needs to work on his final ball, more the decision making than the execution.

Absolute gibberish!

He's not getting that much gas time because Klopp eases players into the team, and Moreno is actually playing well.

Robertson was MoM on his first game, then dropped, and really good again in his second game. He'll play again soon, I guarantee it.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Struggled to control ball poor delivery n looked awfy hesitant for me. Not as bad as morrison or Phillips but think hes one who finds the gap between championship to international football too big.

Wait for the highlights and watch how many of our positive attacking moves he was involved in. Morrison wasn't really at the races but Bannan and Fletcher were the main men in midfield. Forrest was excellent first half then faded badly second half before being subbed. Phillips had a couple of good moments.

How many of Robertson's crosses actually found a man? He would have been a brilliant player in the 1990's, when everyone played with 2 central strikers and an attacking midfielder making runs into the box, his 'run forward 30 yards and whip a ball into the box' routine would have worked a treat in the likes of the Newcastle and Man Utd sides of the mid 90's. Nowadays, when most sides play with one striker, normally with their back to goal, that routine is pretty wasteful. The number of times a game he apparently puts in a 'great ball' in games, yet it hardly ever results in anything. That's why he's not getting as much game time at Liverpool as people seem to want/expect, he needs to improve his decision making. I like him as a player and he gives us a great option, but he more than anyone needs to work on his final ball, more the decision making than the execution.

Utter guff.

Who's slitting their wrists? We played 10 men for 65 mins and looked pretty poor for most of it, a late goal doesn't change that.
Just wait till he plays the same midfield on Sunday and they get rings ran round them.

Clearly watching a different game to me! [emoji36]

Wait for the highlights and watch how many of our positive attacking moves he was involved in. Morrison wasn't really at the races but Bannan and Fletcher were the main men in midfield. Forrest was excellent first half then faded badly second half before being subbed. Phillips had a couple of good moments.

Yeah ill concede the highlights will look good. It will seem like we were pounding feck out of them. It will however delete 70 odd mins of the game. How many times did forrest slam a cross into first defender rather than get it into the box ? How many times did Bannan mis control or give the ball away. I know im sounding like a dour kant but im not really. Im bloody delighted we have 3 clean sheets in a row....id just like us to win a game without my heart hitting 750 bpm [emoji38]

How many times in the past have we seen us fail to finish teams off in must win game? I can't remember the last time we scored a last minute winner against a decent team and that's twice in this campaign plus should have been v England. Whatever you say about Strachan there are huge positives to his tenure and people who struggle to comprehend that are just thick

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I'm not buying that.  Martin yes, the other two no, even with an Anya assist.  Bannon should have been off at half time and McGregor on.

Just because we won doesn't mean that we couldn't have had the same outcome with different changes.

My big worry is that Strachan's pig headedness can cost us in the final game.  I really hope that doesn't happen.

Anya's movement and situational awareness was excellent when he came on.  He counted on Griffiths giving him the ball he did, and unlike every other crosser of the ball, realised low and hard was the right ball.  

Strange game. Played well enough in spells and when you see that their keeper has pulled off some outstanding saves someone wat ching edited highlights will think we bossed it and deserved to win. And yet there's still a strange feeling of we were awful for spells, were far too slow, we got lucky with the goal and that we'll probably lose the next one anyway. Still, let's enjoy tonight. Pass me a beer.

Not lucky with the goal Martin made Skirtel play the ball if he had pressed him he would have cleared it or let it go to the keeper

How many times in the past have we seen us fail to finish teams off in must win game? I can't remember the last time we scored a last minute winners against a decent team and that's twice in this campaign plus should have been v England. Whatever you say about Strachan there are huge positives to his tenure and people who struggle to comprehend that are just thick

Not totally sure id wanna credit wgs with that but its an excellent call. In last 20 years (and indeed before) we were the ones taking a sucker punch....still be nice to score early each half n coast home without giving us all an aneurism / liver damage.

We've won 4 and drawn 1 of our last 5 WC qualifiers and folk are still moaning! That's ridiculously good form for Scotland. How many times do we actually win a must win game like tonight? Not many. Strachan can drive us up the wall, but anyone who doesn't respect him for our recent results is being obtuse.

2 minutes ago, dogmc said:

Not totally sure id wanna credit wgs with that but its an excellent call. In last 20 years (and indeed before) we were the ones taking a sucker punch....still be nice to score early each half n coast home without giving us all an aneurism / liver damage.

As much as I've been critical of Strachan during his tenure at times, on this occasion - the last few games particularly - we've a) looked a threat most times, b) defended pretty well and c) kept going despite some rotten luck (tonight especially).

Griffiths was again outstanding and a lot of the credit for the goal goes to him for a class touch and willingness to not lose possession.  Those who criticised Anya's introduction should also realise that had Tierney stayed on I don't think that kind of chance would have been created as for me Tierney, bar a couple of times, was always slowing down to play it on his left foot whereas Anya had the pace to get into the box and get the ball in (not a criticism of Tierney btw, just that as Strachan said post-match he looked uncomfortable in that position at times)

Phillips was the big let down for me, poor touches at times, reluctant to take men on and a bit ponderous.  And the midfield admittedly lacked the kind of energy of the past couple of games (I personally would have McGregor in against Slovenia mainly for that attacking threat he will offer, similar to what Armstrong has been doing).

Finally, as much as we've berated the defence, it's good to see a settled back line now, and I thought Berra and Mulgrew again looked really composed - three clean sheets in a row is something we'd have been desperate for at the start of this campaign

For all the Strachan bitching that goes on, here's a wee stat for you...

Gordon has the best win percentage of any manager (in charge for more than a dozen games) since Ian McColl all the way back to 1960-1965.

Given the players we have now, I'd say he's done a pretty decent job.

Reading this thread show the people who point blank shouldn't be allowed to talk about football.  It's not having an opinion it's just being unable to comprehend.   

Phillips was as awful as anyone with a brain would expect.   Kevin Kyle was worst than Matt Phillips, Strachan deserves criticism for keeping him on 90.   He's a bull charging with absolutely nothing but effort.   You'd expect he's won his last cap.   

Bannan and Morrison and Fletcher did very well.   Must be really hard with absolutely nothing ahead of them.  

Robertson was our best player.  

Mulgrew is considerably better than Berra and really good in possession. 

Chris Martin was very good and work well with a partner as many have suggested.   Well done sir.  

Griffiths was excellent as we'd expect.   

Tierney had a really bad 2nd half. 

Archived