Squad face Slovenia and Slovakia

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For me there is very little between the sides we have home advantage we are a better unit than the last time we played it's all positive to a Scotland win 2-1.

Agreed will be a close game however will be a cracking atmosphere which should be our 12th man

34 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I don't doubt they'll be trying to win but with Slovenia playing England tonight and us in the last game, with Malta their final opponents, a point here will most likely see them through to the play-offs. If we sit in they could be happy enough just keeping the ball. Without wanting to sound like a Hamish Husband type, it's time to be brave.

Agreed. I'm not one to shout shite about going all-out attack and playing two up front, but the last thing we want is to set up to be cagey then find that Slovakia are happy to sit in for a point as well, with the result that neither side looks like scoring then we have to switch straight from keeping things tight to throwing the kitchen sink at them when it's still 0-0 after 70 minutes. That'd leave us far more vulnerable defensively than being more positive from the start and taking control of the game would.

We can be compact in midfield and still commit to trying to win the game: the central midfielders he goes for will tell us a lot about how Strachan plans to approach this.

1 hour ago, AmateurCoach said:

According to stuff I am hearing we are starting with the same formation as we did against England. Likely line up below.

Gordon

Berra Mulgrew Tierney

Anya Morrison McArthur Robertson

Forrest Griffiths Phillips

I wouldn't be at all surprised at this. Just as long as all our play goes down the left, Forrest and in particular Anya are clear weak links.

Central midfield selection tonight is probably one of Strachan's biggest decisions of his managerial career. For me, Fletcher is a very solid player and can keep things ticking over in possession, but he is dog slow these days and international football against any pot 1/2 side is too big a step up for him at this stage in his career. I also don't see where people are getting the idea that McGregor could start from. He was only just called up as Brown and Armstrong withdrew, so naturally he is behind McArthur, Morrison, Fletcher, Bannan and McGinn (probably in that order). For McGregor to walk into the first XI would be a massive contradiction of Strachan's character and what he spoke about before of ''sticking with the regular bunch because I can trust them''.

Guest bernardblack
I wouldn't be at all surprised at this. Just as long as all our play goes down the left, Forrest and in particular Anya are clear weak links.
Central midfield selection tonight is probably one of Strachan's biggest decisions of his managerial career. For me, Fletcher is a very solid player and can keep things ticking over in possession, but he is dog slow these days and international football against any pot 1/2 side is too big a step up for him at this stage in his career. I also don't see where people are getting the idea that McGregor could start from. He was only just called up as Brown and Armstrong withdrew, so naturally he is behind McArthur, Morrison, Fletcher, Bannan and McGinn (probably in that order). For McGregor to walk into the first XI would be a massive contradiction of Strachan's character and what he spoke about before of ''sticking with the regular bunch because I can trust them''.

Agree with the McGregor points. I'd love to see him start but (rightly or wrongly) Strachan does judge the players on their character and trust etc and McGregor is just in.

Front three of Phillips, Forrest and Griffiths picks itself. Forrest has been on fire for Celtic and fancy him to take a game tonight tbh

1 hour ago, dafcburty said:

McGinn? McGregor? Both? Neither? 

Jim McInally spoke to me earlier in the week and gave his thoughts; https://jordanburtfootball.com/2017/10/05/mcinally-confident-heading-into-slovakia-showdown/

Personally, I would like to see Fletcher and McGregor get a shot but I think Bamnan will probably get the nod. 

I'm sure everyone's been sitting on the edge of their seats waiting for a League 2 manager to give his opinion on the game.

4 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I'm sure everyone's been sitting on the edge of their seats waiting for a League 2 manager to give his opinion on the game.

I appreciate that however it is still relevant to tonight's match so worth posting. My article was published in today's Scottish Daily Mail, also, so it must have some interest surrounding it, however small that may be. 

4 minutes ago, dafcburty said:

I appreciate that however it is still relevant to tonight's match so worth posting. My article was published in today's Scottish Daily Mail, also, so it must have some interest surrounding it, however small that may be. 

Aye fair fucks, I'm just being a wide b*****d.

Assuming that Bannan and Forrest will start I'd go for this

Gordon

Tierney Berra Mulgrew Robertson

Bannan McArthur

Forrest McGregor Phillips 

Griffiths

Been getting flashbacks all day to that Poland game at the end of the last campaign. Hoping like f**k it's a different story this time.

6 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Assuming that Bannan and Forrest will start I'd go for this

Gordon

Tierney Berra Mulgrew Robertson

Bannan McArthur

Forrest McGregor Phillips 

Griffiths

Been getting flashbacks all day to that Poland game at the end of the last campaign. Hoping like f**k it's a different story this time.

I think Slovakia are one of the more physically bigger international sides. Can see that counting against the likes of Bannan & McGregor starting. 

The line-up will be:

Gordon

Tierney
Berra
Mulgrew
Robertson

Fletcher
McArthur

Forrest
Morrison
Phillips

Griffiths

Reckon McGregor could make his debut second half - he's scoring goals so should be given a chance if we're not ahead with 20 or so to go. He'd be more of a goal threat than Martin & S. Fletcher anyway!

Just can't see us winning tonight, I think Slovakia have the best attacking players in the group and without Brown marshalling the two centre-halves, it could be a long evening. Hope I'm wrong!

Guest bernardblack

That team (if correct) isn't terrible. At least Bannan tries to play football on the deck and has a bit of composure

I'd personally go with -

----------------Gordon
Tierney - Berra - Mulgrew - Robertson
----------Fletcher - McArthur
Forrest ----- McGregor ---- Phillips
----------------Griffiths

Sounds like Bannan will start, however, and it wouldn't surprise me if Morrison and/or Snodgrass plays.

I'd be happy enough with the team from Big Fifer, if true. Morrison is a better player than McArthur, and, although I haven't been overly keen on Bannan in the past, he has seemingly been playing well this season for Sheffield Wednesday and can hopefully provide us with some legs in the middle of the park to somewhat compensate for the loss of Armstrong's energy. 

Archived