Squad face Slovenia and Slovakia

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Am I mistaken in saying John McGinn made his debut for Scotland against one of 'the worlds best midfielders' in Christian Eriksen and got Man of the Match? The only thing that has held McGinn back is playing for Hibs and Scotland fans only need to look as far as Andy Robertson to judge the player not the club he plays for.

He was never motm that night. Scotland were absolutely pish, I'm guessing he got it because it was his debut.

2 hours ago, forameus said:

One of my pet hates, and something I hear a lot of at Thistle.   It's usually pretty obvious to anyone with just a passing knowledge of the game that you can't just play a reverse rugby and play the ball forward all the time.  Almost every team is going to need a player who can play the simple ball when the simple ball is the correct decision.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with a player who sits in front of the defence, breaks up play, and then gives it to a player that can do more.  Seems that it's the new thing to hate though.

I wouldn't say it's a new thing at all. Neil Lennon, Claude Makelele and Barry Ferguson were all lambasted for being negative at various points in their career. Though I do think there were better options at the time than Ferguson, there is still value in what that type of player does. 

We desperately need people who will put their lives on the line for these games. Players with passion. So, if Fletcher is ever going to pull a performance out the bag, then it is now. There is no one more commited to the cause than him.

I wouldn't say it's a new thing at all. Neil Lennon, Claude Makelele and Barry Ferguson were all lambasted for being negative at various points in their career. Though I do think there were better options at the time than Ferguson, there is still value in what that type of player does. 
We desperately need people who will put their lives on the line for these games. Players with passion. So, if Fletcher is ever going to pull a performance out the bag, then it is now. There is no one more commited to the cause than him.

With Lennon he had the qualities that Brown has. A dirty hard b*****d. There's always a place for someone like that in the middle of the park.

Makelele was absolutely brilliant. He played the quick intricate stuff in his own half.

Ferguson for me wasn't backpass Barry at all either, thought he was great, had a bit of bite about him too and he was quite creative going forward.

I have really grown to dislike Fletcher in this Scotland team for a few reasons, he slows everything right down, which is good sometimes but going forward it's not. He seems like a right wee teachers pet, I wish he was more of a dirty snivelling c**t of a boy. He also doesn't add anything of note going forward for me, no creativity or imagination. Ferguson for example used to be good at set pieces.

All of the players you mentioned in that role had an extra something that added more to the team. I just find Fletcher to be the ultimate meh player. I think at his peak he did have that something extra that really added to the team, he was everywhere, got around the park so well winning everything. Going forward he also seemed capable of doing something. Think that part of his game is gone now.

I would agree that he'll probably be up for this more than anyone though so I think I'd be happy to see him given the opportunity. I did really love him at one point.

But I'd personally prefer a MacArthur and Morrison partnership.

When did this "pass the ball sideways" become the motto for folk who don't realise you need a player like that. It's literally the exact role Brown plays for Celtic and Scotland.

I'd rather play Fletcher in the "patrol midfield and stunt the opposition, pass it on to better players to start attacks", as that's exactly the role he had for Man U for years and has continued to have in the EPL. Seems a better option that having three midfielders with either no defensive sense (McArthur/Morrison) or who spend their time running about the entire midfield trying to do everything (McGinn). You then have McGregor who seems to have been called up in the back of scoring goals and not actual performances.

You need a player like that to an extent. Sometimes side ways and backwards is all you can do, but Fletcher does it all the time even if theres a pass going forward.

He slows the game down completely, which is infuriating at times.

Fletcher before his illness was a brilliant midfielder to have, but now he is completely past it. I believe McGinn would offer more fight and pace.

7 minutes ago, JakeSAFC said:

You need a player like that to an extent. Sometimes side ways and backwards is all you can do, but Fletcher does it all the time even if theres a pass going forward.

He slows the game down completely, which is infuriating at times.

Fletcher before his illness was a brilliant midfielder to have, but now he is completely past it. I believe McGinn would offer more fight and pace.

I think it's more about the team balance, if you have a tidy up player like Fletcher paired with midfielders with more drive and vision it can work perfectly, playing a couple of sitting midfielders is what slows the game down. 

It's not about formation though.  Any formation can be attacking depending on how it's set up.  For me it's down to the players.  On the real f**k-up nights in this campaign on the last, they simply haven't turned up.  They might not have been set up quite right, but that didn't excuse some of the performances.  Turn up tomorrow night, and I think we'll win.  If we don't, we'll be in for a horrible night.

It would be a big risk and completely against character if Strachan plays McGinn and McGregor together.

As much as I love McGinn, if it's a choice between him and McGregor it has to be the latter which starts surely. McGregor has much more experience playing against European opposition and to be honest looks more of a complete player at this point.

As good as McGinn was in the second half on Saturday his first half at times he was caught in possession and some of his passing was sloppy. His industry is unquestionable but his distribution and possession play can be very inconsistent over the course of 90 minutes. If this was a game against Lithuania etc I'd be all for starting him but Slovakia are a quality opposition and different to any opponent he's played before.

McGregor alongside one of Fletcher / Morrison / McCarthur for me.

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

With Lennon he had the qualities that Brown has. A dirty hard b*****d. There's always a place for someone like that in the middle of the park.

Makelele was absolutely brilliant. He played the quick intricate stuff in his own half.

Ferguson for me wasn't backpass Barry at all either, thought he was great, had a bit of bite about him too and he was quite creative going forward.

I have really grown to dislike Fletcher in this Scotland team for a few reasons, he slows everything right down, which is good sometimes but going forward it's not. He seems like a right wee teachers pet, I wish he was more of a dirty snivelling c**t of a boy. He also doesn't add anything of note going forward for me, no creativity or imagination. Ferguson for example used to be good at set pieces.

All of the players you mentioned in that role had an extra something that added more to the team. I just find Fletcher to be the ultimate meh player. I think at his peak he did have that something extra that really added to the team, he was everywhere, got around the park so well winning everything. Going forward he also seemed capable of doing something. Think that part of his game is gone now.

I would agree that he'll probably be up for this more than anyone though so I think I'd be happy to see him given the opportunity. I did really love him at one point.

But I'd personally prefer a MacArthur and Morrison partnership.

Agreed, anyone can see that the aforementioned players had something a little bit extra. Players like Paul Lambert and Paul Hartley did the job very well whilst also adding tenacity and creativity. I do think Fletcher is capable of that and has shown it in the past. As some others have said, it's all about getting the balance right. There was no point in playing Brown and Fletcher in the same team,  Fletcher would have been redundant. Which, to Strachan's credit, he realised. 

It is also clear to Strachan that McGinn is the ready made replacement for Brown. He has the same attributes that Brown showed at Hibs. Hence, including him in squads, even when he is  off form. But these games are not when we should be using him. Especially if he would be playing without either Brown or Fletcher's guiding hand.

I'll eat my hat if Strachan doesn't replace Armstrong with Bannan for this game.

I'd predict...

Griffiths

Phillips - Bannan - Forrest

Morrison - Fletcher

Robertson - Mulgrew - Berra - Tierney

Gordon

Yeah, I'd be amazed now if Bannan doesn't start, given he's just said...

"Callum McGregor has developed, he has changed position, he is comfortable on the ball. The best performance I've seen in the last three or four weeks is Barry Bannan. He's at the forefront of what we want to do."

His reasoning is fair enough, and he'll know better who he believes has played better over the last month, but I'm someone who has never seen the point in Barry Bannan.  Ever.  Hopefully he's right and I'm wrong.

Bannan likely to start if Strachan's words are anything to go by.
2woxiit.jpg

Very sadly this. Although could just about accept it if it's alongside mcgregor as the 'sitting' 2. A new nightmare combination in midfield is Forrest McArthur Morrison bannan snodgrass

Forrest is going to start, may as well get used to that now.  Can't see that combination above happening though, Phillips will be involved on the other side, then it'll be 3 from 6 between McArthur, Morrison, Fletcher, Bannan, Snodgrass and McGinn. 

I think McArthur and Fletcher is just a little bit too pedestrian going forward but could contain Slovakia/Hamsik better. McGinn, Bannan or Morrison will be much better going forward, but I don’t trust their defensive work to be as good as the other two’s.
I think it’s a battle between McGregor and Morrison for the number 10 slot. I’d happily see either, but Morrison would get my vote.
The only other toss-ups are probably Berra or Cooper and Fraser or Phillips.

Bannan was good for Sheff Wed on Sunday. So were Steven Fletcher and Ross Wallace.
I’d be happy with McGregor, fletcher and mcginn in the middle on Thursday. The left footed back 5, those three, Forrest and Phillips wide with griffiths upfront. Something between what I’d pick and what I pick WGS will pick.

Archived