Squad face Slovenia and Slovakia

25 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Switzerland replacing Portugal as a seeded team would be decent if we got through on the basis I'm completely ignorant and know nothing about them other than at least they aren't the current European champions. 

They're fucking diddies mate.  Nae Ronaldo, nae party.

But seriously, I'd say they'd be a better option than Portugal, although not by a huge amount.  They'd still slot in as being 1 of the 2 sides I really wouldn't want to draw.  Wales would be delightful.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it stayed that way, 50% chance of getting a side we could realistically beat.  I'd take that going into a playoff.

IF we beat Slovenia and Slovakia!! Aye a big IF I reckon we wouldn't be far off perhaps Ireland, Bosnia etc in World Rankings to be a seeded team or am I way out? Could get 100 points after two games v Slovenia / Slovakia and move up 15 places again?!

I would like to see 2/3 added to squad that are in form like Barrie McKay, McGregor at Celtic.

On 9/14/2017 at 17:43, Shannon said:

IF we beat Slovenia and Slovakia!! Aye a big IF I reckon we wouldn't be far off perhaps Ireland, Bosnia etc in World Rankings to be a seeded team or am I way out? Could get 100 points after two games v Slovenia / Slovakia and move up 15 places again?!

I would like to see 2/3 added to squad that are in form like Barrie McKay, McGregor at Celtic.

That would make it 4 wins on the spin for Scotland - anyone know when the last time we did that was?

ETA - with apologies for being a completely lazy cnut and not looking this up myself.

1 minute ago, k-ton said:

That would make it 4 wins on the spin for Scotland - anyone know when the last time we did that was?

In competitive games I'd imagine it would be euro 2008 qualifiers so it'd almost be 10 years to the day if we managed to do it again

Faroe Islands (a) 2-0

Lithuania (h) 3-1

France (a) 1-0

Ukraine (h) 3-1

And it's stretching a bit, but would that Ukraine game be quite similar in comparison to the one we've got coming up?  Seem to remember Ukraine being pretty good back then, but beatable, much like Slovakia are.  I'd most definitely take a 3-1...

43 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

In competitive games I'd imagine it would be euro 2008 qualifiers so it'd almost be 10 years to the day if we managed to do it again

Faroe Islands (a) 2-0

Lithuania (h) 3-1

France (a) 1-0

Ukraine (h) 3-1

Thanks for this.  

FWIF - there were also friendly wins against Austria and South Africa amongst those, so it was 6 in a row altogether.

55 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Faroe Islands (a) 2-0

Lithuania (h) 3-1

France (a) 1-0

Ukraine (h) 3-1

we actually beat Austria 1-0 in Vienna the week before we went to the Faroes - 5 in a row...... my first and best year travelling to Scotland matches!

how times change!

from the start of 2009 we then went on a run of 2 years and 6 games without scoring a goal!!!! beat 3-0 by Holland, 4-0 in Norway, 2-0 in Japan, 3-0 in Wales (Burley's last match) then under Levein 3-0 in Sweden, 0-0 in Lithuania and then the 4-6-0 game in the Czech Republic! It wasn't until Feb 2011 against Northern Ireland in the Carling cup that we scored/won

2 hours ago, GhostZapper said:

we actually beat Austria 1-0 in Vienna the week before we went to the Faroes - 5 in a row...... my first and best year travelling to Scotland matches!

how times change!

from the start of 2009 we then went on a run of 2 years and 6 games without scoring a goal!!!! beat 3-0 by Holland, 4-0 in Norway, 2-0 in Japan, 3-0 in Wales (Burley's last match) then under Levein 3-0 in Sweden, 0-0 in Lithuania and then the 4-6-0 game in the Czech Republic! It wasn't until Feb 2011 against Northern Ireland in the Carling cup that we scored/won

Good times....

how times change!

Didn't we beat the Czechs in a friendly near the start of Levein's reign?

ETA yeah we did. Also beat Macedonia and Iceland in that period, scoring two goals in each. But in any case they were hard times. Burley was far and away my least favourite Scotland manager. Seemed a nice guy but all over the place as our manager.

would expect it to be pretty much the same squad as for the 2 games last month. Callum McGregor is the only real player battering down the door for a call up that isn't already there..... Probably too early for Oli Burke to get back in.

Burke should never have been bombed out of the squad simply because of the physical attributes he has and the fact he clearly can play a bit - more than enough for a squad place an potential impact sub role. It's a typical 'Scotland making life difficult for themselves' case.

Burke should never have been bombed out of the squad simply because of the physical attributes he has and the fact he clearly can play a bit - more than enough for a squad place an potential impact sub role. It's a typical 'Scotland making life difficult for themselves' case.

Burke was left out the squad because he hardly played last season. Need home to get some game time. Needs to work on his positioning as well as gets caught far too often.

Archived