The Mo vs The Albion

Top of the league Stirling travel to 2nd placed Montrose, looking to bounce back after last weeks disappointing defeat to Clyde.

I know its still early doors but this is still a pretty big game and a chance for us to extend our lead at the top to 4 points.

Montrose are a good team and this will no doubt be one of the toughest games of the season, so would probably take a draw.

Top of the league Stirling travel to 2nd placed Montrose, looking to bounce back after last weeks disappointing defeat to Clyde.

I know its still early doors but this is still a pretty big game and a chance for us to extend our lead at the top to 4 points.

Montrose are a good team and this will no doubt be one of the toughest games of the season, so would probably take a draw.

Game of the day in League 2, it will be tough against a Montrose side who are unbeaten after 5 games and must surely fancy their chances on Saturday to leapfrog the Albion to the top spot.

Would agree it will be our toughest test so far and I would be happy to get a point on Saturday but feel that we are a better counter attacking team and might just sneak all 3 points.

Really not sure what to think about this one. Mo are strong at the back but not so strong up top and not scoring many goals. Binos have a threat up front but may be weaker at the back. The Cup game at Forthbank will be no pointer to this Saturday as both teams fielded weakened sides that night. In other words anything could happen this Saturday but the first goal will be crucial. Good to see both our clubs starting well though after a few iffy seasons.

I'm limited to insight of others and from highlights but from what I can glean, one of the main factors, assuming players play to their potential, will be which manager gets the tactics right to exploit the strengths and weaknesses of the teams.

It's perhaps a statistical truism but the numbers favour a team which defends well over a team which has a strong attacking record but leaks goals. The perceived wisdom being that even a team with a relatively toothless forward line can nick a goal or two from dead-ball opportunities.

In last year's Euros, Iceland showed how a team with limitations can achieve a lot through good discipline and playing to its strengths.

Hoping that tomorrow, Stewart Petrie has the edge over Dave Mackay in getting the best from the players and mixing things up to come out on top.

I would be happy with a point on Saturday, but it goes without saying that I'm hoping for all 3.

Great to see both clubs at the right end of the table now because I really do hold a lot of admiration for Stewart Petrie and suspect that Montrose and Stirling are just starting points for before Petrie and Mackay before they go into bigger things.

It's do-able for us, we've nothing to fear in this division and I noticed that Sean Dickson was back in training when I was at Forthbank last night so it gives us another opinion in the middle of the park.

11 hours ago, Brummo said:

I'm limited to insight of others and from highlights but from what I can glean, one of the main factors, assuming players play to their potential, will be which manager gets the tactics right to exploit the strengths and weaknesses of the teams.

It's perhaps a statistical truism but the numbers favour a team which defends well over a team which has a strong attacking record but leaks goals. The perceived wisdom being that even a team with a relatively toothless forward line can nick a goal or two from dead-ball opportunities.

In last year's Euros, Iceland showed how a team with limitations can achieve a lot through good discipline and playing to its strengths.

Hoping that tomorrow, Stewart Petrie has the edge over Dave Mackay in getting the best from the players and mixing things up to come out on top.

Why is it nobody remembers Brazilian goalkeepers? In years gone by their mantra was  "you score three we score four"  OK tactics have changed and Stirling are no Brazil. But I know which style of football I would rather watch.

The last time I visited Links park a  local gull dive-bombed an Albion fan who was feasting on a large air-filled baguette . As the bird aborted the attack at the last second it decided to a leave a calling card on the guy's shoulder. Mayhem ensued and fan dropped his lunch. Literally.

On that occasion we ran out winners. Perhaps he took one for the team. Similar result please, but I will pass on the rolls.

Another below par performance, this time without the last minute escape (just). No lack of effort, but too many poor decisions and a bizarre relucatance to push forward at times. Stirling look fine (keeper aside) but not massively more dangerous than anyone else. 

Think this will be a long twisty season without any obvious frontrunners (yet), but we need a rethink up front before next week.

Really no ideas going forward & very few real chances created by the Mo.

Credit to Stirling who soaked everything up and made much better use of the ball in the final third & fully deserved the points.

Just wondering, - was this the best time for Montrose to loan out Gary Fraser?

Stirling deserved victory. Took their chances. We are lacking an edge up front so surprised to see Fraser leave also. Prior to transfer window closing I thought we were a striker short and Fraser leaving won't help. Chasing game in end today and no recognised striker on the park after Templeman taken off. Not great.

Happy with the result and performance. Our three away games have been victories at Stenny, Peterhead and Mo' so I think we will do better on our travels if the way Clyde stopped us playing at home becomes he norm at Forthbank.

Looks like it might be tight at the bottom this season so no result is certain this season.

And finally.....

This game might be the first time I've celebrated a goal while the player who scored is still in our half of the pitch.

Great result. Montrose are no slouches and will be in amongst the top four at the end of the season I'm sure so to get the three points was great.

Montrose,  Stenny and Peterhead away amongst the opening handful of fixtures was a tough ask. But nine points achieved.

incidentally it's those three clubs along with ourselves who I had as the top four so even better

Archived