Tipping

Jmothecat2

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, John Lambies Doos said:

Like what??

Things that the company would usually charge for like setting up teles, sofas, building beds etc.

If we're asked to by someone and we have the time we'll do it. If someone wants to give us a tenner for doing them that favour then why not? It would have cost them a lot more to pay for the service in the first place.

Things that the company would usually charge for like setting up teles, sofas, building beds etc.
If we're asked to by someone and we have the time we'll do it. If someone wants to give us a tenner for doing them that favour then why not? It would have cost them a lot more to pay for the service in the first place.

Ah OK. Work you mean.
In fairness I'd happily pay a tenner for someone to make up the furniture.

I tip delivery drivers £1, but that's about it. It was actually something I was thinking about recently, as I tend to pay by card on Just Eat and just hand over a quid when the delivery driver comes to the door. I've tipped a £1 for about 20 years though, so I'm beginning to wonder if that's seen as a shite tip these days and a bit cheeky.

I tip delivery drivers £1, but that's about it. It was actually something I was thinking about recently, as I tend to pay by card on Just Eat and just hand over a quid when the delivery driver comes to the door. I've tipped a £1 for about 20 years though, so I'm beginning to wonder if that's seen as a shite tip these days and a bit cheeky.

Quality tip 20yrs ago mind

I can remember tipping the Harvey's delivery guys £20 5 or so years ago. It was a massive corner sofa we bought and I'm still amazed they got it up the stairs and into the livingroom without making a mark on the walls. When I moved at the start if the year I was booting the thing down the stairs and still struggling to shift the fucker.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Taxi drivers get paid much more than food deliverers, you fascist. 

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Restaurant - 10%/15% depending how good the service and meal were.

Taxi drivers - usually round it up if it means 50p or over tip.

Food delivery - £1

Don't go to the hairdressers or get my windows washed. Can't think of any other scenarios.

We'd get our shopping delivered in the past and I could never tell if tipping was the done thing in that case. We regularly get taxis at work and I always feel uneasy leaving without tipping. No idea why taxi drivers are tipped given how expensive they are.

2 hours ago, RR #1 said:

Not tipping a fast food delivery driver is out of order.  They must rely on tips to even get minimum wage. Only other tips I give out are to the  barber and friendly bar staff. f**k tipping taxi drivers the only ones I ever seem to get are greasy, fat and ignorant old firm supporters. 

2 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

I know 2 guys who deliver for local kebab shops and both have other jobs that make a lot of cash.

The delivery driver game is mostly to top up your pay without paying pesky tax.

I still tip the guy who brings my food but let's not pretend these guys make Uber driver wages.

14 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

It's their job to take you to wherever you wanna go...... why is it ignorant to not tip them?

I'm not saying I either do or don't tip them. But don't see why you'd be ignorant because you don't tip them

Out of interest how much per hour/week does everyone think taxi drivers/uber drivers/takeaway delivery drivers earn, people seem to have some misguided ideas of pay in these jobs.

In the US British people who live here tend to overtip, and basically never stiff you.. Love when I hear a British accent in the cab or at the door of a house.

Can't say how it works with pay in the UK, but in the US food delivery guys make from negative in a bad month to $4-5/hr in a good month when you subtract the % of car maintenance due to their job from what they are paid. If you don't have money to tip you should go pick up the food yourself. My biggest pet peeve is when people apologize for not tipping because money is tight, but then I see something extra on their order like 3 cokes or a bunch of extra sauces that run $.50 each or something like that. 

Cab drivers make over the minimum wage based on their pay, but very few would actually do the job without the tips. You can take that into account as you please. It's not a complete scumbag move like stiffing a food delivery driver which is basically using someone's labor for free, but it's still free loading off the tipping system. Certainly a fewer % of people tip in the cab compared to food delivery.

My general rule for stuff like lawn service or furniture moving is that I tip if the person doing the job is an employee and don't if I'm hiring an independent contractor.

2 hours ago, Tony Ferrino said:

Only ever tip if someone offers great service. 

Why should I subsidise shite bosses paying crap wages?

P.s. the cleaners in your local Indian deserve the tips, not the front of house!

Wages for service industry workers if switched from tipping to a straight wage would just come in the form of a bigger service fee. It's not going to come out of the owners pockets, especially in the restaurant industry where the profit margin on successful enterprises is under 10%. In this case you are in charge. You get to be the capitalist deciding what's a fair wage for the service you are hiring. It's your own morals at play.

2 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Out of interest how much per hour/week does everyone think taxi drivers/uber drivers/takeaway delivery drivers earn, people seem to have some misguided ideas of pay in these jobs.

Uber drivers - less than minimum wage after expenses from what I've heard. Takeaway drivers - minimum wage hopefully. Taxi drivers - local ones I don't know, probably not very much. My resentment about giving them tips was in London and heard about the Black Cab drivers' take home. Still don't like untrained and ripped off Uber drivers taking it over though.

Just now, G_Man1985 said:

My mate is a taxi driver and makes good money. A school run he has and works Friday n Saturday evening. Compared to my wage he does well.

Some make good cash some don't, some do lots of hours to make good cash, some don't make good money even working long hours.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Uber drivers - less than minimum wage after expenses from what I've heard. Takeaway drivers - minimum wage hopefully. Taxi drivers - local ones I don't know, probably not very much. My resentment about giving them tips was in London and heard about the Black Cab drivers' take home. Still don't like untrained and ripped off Uber drivers taking it over though.

It takes a lot of time, effort and cash to be a black cab driver in London.

Just now, G_Man1985 said:

Okay so where are we going with this ? This is common knowledge?
Why should they be tipped for doing there job?

Because, in general the cost of these services would need to rise 30% + if nobody tipped.

4 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Because, in general the cost of these services would need to rise 30% + if nobody tipped.

He has Che as his avatar. Rich lefties tend to tip very well. Middle and lower income lefties tip very, very poorly. Hate when I pull up to a house in the cab or food delivery and there's Bernie (whoever the lefty flavor of the month is) signs or communist stuff visible. Of course this is in the USA. Can't say how it is in the UK.

Archived