Tipping

Jmothecat2

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I do normally tip delivery folk, taxi drivers, hairdressers and in restaurants. One I'm not so sure about is window cleaners, the window cleaner came round the other day and I gave him the exact money whereas my Mrs says you should tip. Does anyone actually tip a window cleaner?

I don't tip delivery drivers apart from if they deliver takeaways, that would mean I'd have to tip the postman everyday instead of just a tenner at Christmas. My window cleaner gets the negotiated rate straight in his pocket with no tax or boss taking a share, so no tip.

Who do you deliver for mate?
Recently in London, we used Uber's and never tipped - except for the first one as it was novelty and the driver stopped for cans.

Don't think I'd tip a driver who stopped for cans when he's supposed to be driving me somewhere.

Just now, Scotty Tunbridge said:

You give your postie money at Christmas? That's not a thing.

It is in the civilised world, cobber. A year of delivering your letters and parcels 6 days a week deserves recognition at least as much as a single taxi ride or a haircut.

Restaurant - 10%/15% depending how good the service and meal were.

Taxi drivers - usually round it up if it means 50p or over tip.

Food delivery - £1

Don't go to the hairdressers or get my windows washed. Can't think of any other scenarios.

We'd get our shopping delivered in the past and I could never tell if tipping was the done thing in that case. We regularly get taxis at work and I always feel uneasy leaving without tipping. No idea why taxi drivers are tipped given how expensive they are.

I pay my window cleaner by DD and in the 3 years we've done this I've seen the guy twice.

They usually come when I'm at work but twice now I've been off when they came.

The delivery driver and waiter is an interesting 1. Don't tip the guy who cooks your food but the person who brings you it.  Seems we've got that the wrong way round.

Not tipping a fast food delivery driver is out of order.  They must rely on tips to even get minimum wage. Only other tips I give out are to the  barber and friendly bar staff. f**k tipping taxi drivers the only ones I ever seem to get are greasy, fat and ignorant old firm supporters. 

I got my first tattoo a couple of months and tipped my tattooist, having read it was a thing supposedly. This may have just been another American thing though, as he seemed pretty shocked that I gave him a bit extra. I was very happy though so I didn't mind.

Just now, RR #1 said:

Not tipping a fast food delivery driver is out of order.  They must rely on tips to even get minimum wage. Only other tips I give out are to the  barber and friendly bar staff. f**k tipping taxi drivers the only ones I ever seem to get are greasy, fat and ignorant old firm supporters. 

How many of the delivery drivers are through the books though? I doubt any know what the minimum wage is.

3 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

I know 2 guys who deliver for local kebab shops and both have other jobs that make a lot of cash.

The delivery driver game is mostly to top up your pay without paying pesky tax.

I still tip the guy who brings my food but let's not pretend these guys make Uber driver wages.

2 minutes ago, Jamaldo said:

I got my first tattoo a couple of months and tipped my tattooist, having read it was a thing supposedly. This may have just been another American thing though, as he seemed pretty shocked that I gave him a bit extra. I was very happy though so I didn't mind.

My wife sent her tattooist cup cakes as a thank you.

Bloody expensive tattooist at that. Didn't realise they made footballer wages before

My wife sent her tattooist cup cakes as a thank you.
Bloody expensive tattooist at that. Didn't realise they made footballer wages before

It wasn't a lot I gave. The price was £190 so I just rounded it up to £200. I'm planning more so won't be doing it all the time [emoji38]

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Food delivery - £1

That's fine, it adds up if most people do it. The standard thing in Liverpool used to be saying to the barman "one for yourself" every round, which meant 20p in the pot. Small tips aren't treated as an insult, and they can make a big difference. Worked not long ago in a poshish hotel and the only tips came from people who seemed like they'd had to save up to stay there, fuckall from the golfer types.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Worked not long ago in a poshish hotel and the only tips came from people who seemed like they'd had to save up to stay there, fuckall from the golfer types.

Yip.

I deliver furniture for a well known department store and it's always the wee wifies in council houses who tip, never the millionaires in Barnton, Longniddry etc.

I've been reminded of a scumbag my sister-in-law used to go out with. He used to deliver food and said (with pride) he used to add a pound onto the bill himself so he was always guaranteed a quid and anything on top of that. From then on I've always asked the restaurant what the total is before hanging up. JustEat gives you the price though so I don't imagine the fud could get away with it now. I doubt the majority of delivery drivers do such a thing but I bet there are plenty of other scumbags who do it.

39 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

I pay my window cleaner by DD and in the 3 years we've done this I've seen the guy twice.

They usually come when I'm at work but twice now I've been off when they came.

Kenneth Williams gif required here 

Archived