Tipping

Jmothecat2

All inclusive holidays, day 1 get the barman tipped pretty nicely. He's the most important boy in the hotel for the duration of your stay as far as I'm concerned.

In similar vein stick some cash in your room fridge and see it ram packed with the good stuff.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First morning in Cuba I tipped the maid what I thought was effectively £2. It wasn't until later that evening I had a good look at the coins and had tipped her £4. Thinking the silver coins were 50p when they were £1. Felt bad moving it down to £2 for the rest of the week but £28 is too much for me!

We gave her our unused toiletries and stuff though which she was made up about.

16 hours ago, ayrmad said:

What is regular enough, you'll have taxi companies with customers phoning 20 or 30 times a week and you'll have takeaways delivering to the same address 5 or 10 times a week, you don't notice losing the irregular customers until quite a few have left but you notice losing your regulars very quickly.

"Hi can I order a 12" spicy chicken pizza and a large donner kebab please?"

"Didn't you just order a family meal deal?"

"Yeah, I'm a bit peckish m9"

I assume all the references to delivery drivers is the guys with food. Does anyone tip couriers which essentially the same job and probably receive even less money

I used to do home deliveries to houses of large household goods- about 40-50 drops a day. Usually got between 1-3 tips per day when delivering couches, washing machines etc.

Just now, The Chlamydia Kid said:

I used to do home deliveries to houses of large household goods- about 40-50 drops a day. Usually got between 1-3 tips per day when delivering couches, washing machines etc.

That sort of stuff I would tip but amazon parcels and the like wouldn't tip 

1 hour ago, NorthernJambo said:

All inclusive holidays, day 1 get the barman tipped pretty nicely. He's the most important boy in the hotel for the duration of your stay as far as I'm concerned.

What do you do though if there are waiters that bring the drinks to your table? Do you tip them each time? Have noticed that in quite a few hotels that if you don't keep feeding them cash then they tend to keep their distance from people's tables.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

First morning in Cuba I tipped the maid what I thought was effectively £2. It wasn't until later that evening I had a good look at the coins and had tipped her £4. Thinking the silver coins were 50p when they were £1. Felt bad moving it down to £2 for the rest of the week but £28 is too much for me!

We gave her our unused toiletries and stuff though which she was made up about.

Sure your half empty can of Lynx Africa came in very useful to her. 

44 minutes ago, supermik said:

What do you do though if there are waiters that bring the drinks to your table? Do you tip them each time? Have noticed that in quite a few hotels that if you don't keep feeding them cash then they tend to keep their distance from people's tables.

Never gone all inclusive but would you not just leave some cash on the table when you leave? (for those not allergic to carrying cash around)

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Never gone all inclusive but would you not just leave some cash on the table when you leave? (for those not allergic to carrying cash around)

Most folk on here wouldn't do that with me around:lol:

Never actually seen folk leave cash behind as there is always a few waiters on the go and you would not be sure of the tip going to the right person.  Worst place that I have seen for it was Cuba where the waiters were looking for money for every single drink that was on their tray. Starts getting a bit tiresome after a while when the drinks are already paid for. 

Aye right. I wouldn't be wasting good Africa!

We were told before we went that the Cubans are grateful of any sort of gift and considering it was a bag of stuff we could easily get at Poundland she was over the moon. I had bought a daft pair of swimming shorts as well and a receptionist commented on how her boy liked the cartoon. At the end of the holiday I asked if she wanted them and again she was over the moon. It's a lovely place to holiday but is still a poor country so they'll obviously grateful to get anything for nothing.

41 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

16 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye right. I wouldn't be wasting good Africa!

We were told before we went that the Cubans are grateful of any sort of gift and considering it was a bag of stuff we could easily get at Poundland she was over the moon. I had bought a daft pair of swimming shorts as well and a receptionist commented on how her boy liked the cartoon. At the end of the holiday I asked if she wanted them and again she was over the moon. It's a lovely place to holiday but is still a poor country so they'll obviously grateful to get anything for nothing.

Exactly. Cubans will never starve, or go without life's basics, thanks to the way their society works, they get a monthly allowance for such things. But they are exactly that - basic. They are the equivalent of Smart Price range stuff, and the Cuban version at that.

So, if hotel guests leave them behind some shampoo, deodorant, conditioner, toothpaste etc, then it is of a better quality than they would normally get, so yeah, it's a much appreciated by them. Also things like Western magazines and books are hugely appreciated. Pool inflatables for the kids, if you can't be bothered deflating them and squeezing them into your luggage.

It's hard to imagine someone getting moist over a Take a Break, but it happens.

Exactly. Cubans will never starve, or go without life's basics, thanks to the way their society works, they get a monthly allowance for such things. But they are exactly that - basic. They are the equivalent of Smart Price range stuff, and the Cuban version at that.
So, if hotel guests leave them behind some shampoo, deodorant, conditioner, toothpaste etc, then it is of a better quality than they would normally get, so yeah, it's a much appreciated by them. Also things like Western magazines and books are hugely appreciated. Pool inflatables for the kids, if you can't be bothered deflating them and squeezing them into your luggage.
It's hard to imagine someone getting moist over a Take a Break, but it happens.

Indeed. At times I thought it was all a big act with the Cubans as they were so humble and grateful almost all the time. The hotel staff I thought were like that for tips obviously but when we ventured in real Cuba the folk were just as nice there. I absolutely loved the place and the people. To think they still have ration books! Hopefully it doesn't lose it's charm now the yanks will be swarming in.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Indeed. At times I thought it was all a big act with the Cubans as they were so humble and grateful almost all the time. The hotel staff I thought were like that for tips obviously but when we ventured in real Cuba the folk were just as nice there. I absolutely loved the place and the people. To think they still have ration books! Hopefully it doesn't lose it's charm now the yanks will be swarming in.

Only good thing about Trump is him reigning back on Obama's reforms. Not so much for the Cubans.

Archived