Tipping

Jmothecat2

44 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't buy this 'if you don't tip delivery drivers they'll leave you until last'. Do they keep logs on who hasn't tipped them? Or are they just all Rainmen who have wasted their talent?

When I delivered papers you'd get tips at Xmas. To this day I can still remember the guy who was the best tipper but I couldn't tell you then who didn't tip me and I delivered to the same houses 6 days a week for 4 years.

If folk are generous tippers then I could believe delivery drivers would prioritise them over others but I don't buy it the other way around.

Is that not what that computer between your ears is for, you don't need to be rainman,  when I 1st controlled taxis all the hires were logged on A4 sheets of paper, I could go back weeks later and mentally rerun most of the shift just by looking at the sheets, it's your job, controlling well in the old days was as demanding as most jobs, your brain copes with it as it does most things.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

It kind of depends on the management style. One of the good things about working for Chinese is that they seem culturally incapable of any type of management, so we're basically on our own as drivers. They're not giving free orders out no matter what and they kind of hate all the customers anyways. Yesterday, I showed up 15 minutes early and the phone was ringing.  It was a guy asking where his order was. It was 50 minutes old and sitting on the counter. I told him that it was leaving that minute and apologized for being behind. "It's the driver's problem, not yours" is what he said without knowing that I was going to be the driver. He went straight to the end of the my run when he would have been 2nd after one that was a block away from the store. Another guy who ordered yesterday is known as a principled non-tipper. He's about a half mile from the store. I drove right by his house, took three other deliveries, and then got him on the way back.  

What a life, you couldn't make that up.

Is that not what that computer between your ears is for, you don't need to be rainman,  when I 1st controlled taxis all the hires were logged on A4 sheets of paper, I could go back weeks later and mentally rerun most of the shift just by looking at the sheets, it's your job, controlling well in the old days was as demanding as most jobs, your brain copes with it as it does most things.

I don't see what that has to do with delivery drivers tbh.

20 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't see what that has to do with delivery drivers tbh.

If you are any good at your job you'll remember details like tips/no tips of all your customers, there will be 10's of thousands of people doing that every day.

3 hours ago, ayrmad said:

If it's anything like Tryfields contract before he took early retirement it will be ok, a ludicrously low maximum hours a year was the highlight and retiring with a great pensions not bad either.

It's quite odd that you attempt to live your life through this Tryfield character.

If you are any good at your job you'll remember details like tips/no tips of all your customers, there will be 10's of thousands of people doing that every day.

I think you're overthinking their job. They pick up food, deliver it in the easiest order for them and hope for a tip on delivery.

I doubt someone would drive past a house en route to another delivery just because that house never tipped. What an utterly pointless exercise that would be.

How would the household know? The driver might think he's getting one over on the customer but if the food comes at a reasonable time then I don't think anyone would care if it arrived 10 minutes earlier.

If they took too long and on a regular basis the driver would surely get pulled up as the customer would complain and the company would risk losing that business.

If the driver was driving by houses he could be delivering to then surely he's just wasting his own petrol? And for what reason? See point 1 again.

I'm calling BS on the whole thing.

12 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

It's quite odd that you attempt to live your life through this Tryfield character.

Why would I attempt to live my life through Tryfield, there are some on here who aren't weirdos or craving the adoration of the crowd.

I was at Pizza Express tonight and went to pay by card.

Came ip on machine do you want to include a gratuitie?

I said to the girl at the till I will just give you some cash as a tip as I don't trust Management. 

She then said we get 70% of it from machine. 

So! I was correct. 

27 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I think you're overthinking their job. They pick up food, deliver it in the easiest order for them and hope for a tip on delivery.

There are those that are good bad or indifferent at every job.

I doubt someone would drive past a house en route to another delivery just because that house never tipped. What an utterly pointless exercise that would be.

It'll happen every day, it's only a pointless exercise if you can't work it all out for yourself.

How would the household know?

Why would you want the household  to know, it's business not a game.

The driver might think he's getting one over on the customer but if the food comes at a reasonable time then I don't think anyone would care if it arrived 10 minutes earlier.

I would rather get my food 5 minutes after it left than 20,30 or 40 minutes later.

If they took too long and on a regular basis the driver would surely get pulled up as the customer would complain and the company would risk losing that business.

That's the point not pettiness, if you're risking losing a customer you'd rather lose an irregular customer/arsehole/poor tipper.

If the driver was driving by houses he could be delivering to then surely he's just wasting his own petrol? And for what reason? See point 1 again.

Not if you're sensible, every route is basically a loop,  if you had customer A giving you a fiver everytime a small detour to keep him sweet would cost you pennies a 

I'm calling BS on the whole thing.

Yep, I know hundreds of people that drive taxis but I know a lot less taxi drivers.

25 minutes ago, LinkinFighter said:

Mind Yarm

Knowing Eric, I found it amusing that he couldn't handle living with his neebs in digs down there.

I always liked his wee gif of his pal blootered with the axe(quite sure he fixes jet engines ffs).

If the household didn't know then what's the point? I've only really had one time my food took too long. Around 2 hours. I didn't go back to that place.

If drivers were to do that regularly they'd only be harming themselves and the business. I can't see any logical reason why they'd do it.

Again, I've not mentioned taxis so I'm not sure why you've brought them up again.

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If the household didn't know then what's the point? I've only really had one time my food took too long. Around 2 hours. I didn't go back to that place.

If drivers were to do that regularly they'd only be harming themselves and the business. I can't see any logical reason why they'd do it.

Again, I've not mentioned taxis so I'm not sure why you've brought them up again.

I think it's above your pay grade.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

I think so. I'm clearly not as savvy as these ex-Wall Street pizza delivery men.

You don't need to be an ex anything to know that you're better losing the poorer customers in the long run, there will be some decent tipper near you who was quite happy with his hot food that night you waited 2 hours

1 minute ago, ayrmad said:

You don't need to be an ex anything to know that you're better losing the poorer customers in the long run, there will be some decent tipper near you who was quite happy with his hot food that night you waited 2 hours

Aye they definitely won't complain to the restaurant or write bad reviews on trip advisor and if they do the restaurant would definitely not readily and easily replace a delivery driver who uses the job as a vehicle for £1 personal vendettas.

13 minutes ago, The OP said:

Aye they definitely won't complain to the restaurant or write bad reviews on trip advisor and if they do the restaurant would definitely not readily and easily replace a delivery driver who uses the job as a vehicle for £1 personal vendettas.

You're quoting that to the wrong person, my views are based on sound business reasoning.

1 minute ago, ayrmad said:

You're quoting that to the wrong person, my views are based on sound business reasoning.

I have only dipped in and out of the thread but your reasoning seems to be that a business which delivers food to customers can forgo those customers who don't arbitrarily tip some of their lowest skilled employees because they're bad customers and therefore their £20 takeaway order is better off being placed with a rival next time.  Outstanding.

1 minute ago, The OP said:

I have only dipped in and out of the thread but your reasoning seems to be that a business which delivers food to customers can forgo those customers who don't arbitrarily tip some of their lowest skilled employees because they're bad customers and therefore their £20 takeaway order is better off being placed with a rival next time.  Outstanding.

No, when a takeaway is very busy some people will wait a long while and/or get cold food, better that happens to those you make less cash from over the years, I'd far rather lose the guy that spends a tenner a month than the guy that spends thousands a year, it's a numbers game.

Archived