Tipping

Jmothecat2

£55k for pushing a few buttons and pulling and pushing a couple of levers. The worst bit of the job is when the alarm goes off at 4am, but rather that than spending 4 years for a degree to work in river island.

I know the customer service is decent in there but a full undergraduate degree seems a bit excessive.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, blanco said:

£55k for pushing a few buttons and pulling and pushing a couple of levers. The worst bit of the job is when the alarm goes off at 4am, but rather that than spending 4 years for a degree to work in river island.

If it's anything like Tryfields contract before he took early retirement it will be ok, a ludicrously low maximum hours a year was the highlight and retiring with a great pensions not bad either.

4am? Jammy sod. Mine's been set for 2.20 all week .

7 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

Yeah. They talk shit about how much they hate employing Americans and how terrible we are. I tell them that I hope Trump sends the police to take away all their illegal workers. They say they'd shut down before hiring American kitchen workers. I know that after Trump was elected all our Mexican workers moved to NYC and now we just have illegal Chinese, which are more expensive. The owners were mad and say that the Mexicans left because they were afraid they'd get deported if they stayed here, and that's they can't find Mexicans to work at our store anymore. They also said that a relative's store in Mississippi shut down because all their Mexicans left for sanctuary cities. I showed them the statistics on how many working age people in Mississippi are not currently working. I specifically showed them the black statistics because I knew that implying their relatives should hire blacks would get them going.:lol: Can't say whether what they are saying is true, but it's what they are telling me.

Also, the owner recently purchased a downtown apartment building in our town that he's renovating. Chinese people are cheap as f**k, so he's got a motley crew of homeless and methheads doing the work instead of hiring a professional crew. He can't stop talking about how much better it would be if he could hire Mexicans like in other parts of the country. I just laugh at him and tell him to pay a good wage if he wants good workers.

Chinese, Mexicans, African Americans and Yankees.

Just gets better and better.

Have you ever thought of stand up comedy?

The way some folk are talking on here it seems that having a degree is actually a bad thing and will ensure you end up in a shit job.

No, I don't have one.

Anyway, back on topic; do folk tip bus drivers?

14 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Chinese, Mexicans, African Americans and Yankees.

Just gets better and better.

Have you ever thought of stand up comedy?

So, I handle the hiring and scheduling of the American delivery crew. I'm not supposed to hire black people, but I do. The Chinese usually try their best to drive them off pretty fast, but one stuck around for awhile. The owner even loaned this black driver his personal car when the driver's car was broke down. I was wondering what was up, because this dude wasn't any type of great employee. Turns out the black dude pimps women on the side and was providing prostitutes to the owner. We all found out when the owner's wife had a meltdown in the middle of a shift and started yelling that he probably had "sex disease." She then told us all what was happening. Never a dull moment. 

As a recipient of tips, it is genuinely appreciated but being honest so is dealing with people who aren't aresholes. Also where I work we share the tips amongst everyone on including the bakers waiters and chefs. I'm changing jobs at the end of the month though where I'll get more money for fewer hours and weekends off:thumsup2

All this thread has achieved is that delivery drivers are off my list of people to tip. Seem very cuntish.

How do folk tip posties/bin men? I'm never in when they are round. You just leave a tenner sticking out the bin??

3 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

So, I handle the hiring and scheduling of the American delivery crew. I'm not supposed to hire black people, but I do. The Chinese usually try their best to drive them off pretty fast, but one stuck around for awhile. The owner even loaned this black driver his personal car when the driver's car was broke down. I was wondering what was up, because this dude wasn't any type of great employee. Turns out the black dude pimps women on the side and was providing prostitutes to the owner. We all found out when the owner's wife had a meltdown in the middle of a shift and started yelling that he probably had "sex disease." She then told us all what was happening. Never a dull moment. 

All of this definitely, definitely happened. 

4 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Speaking of prostitutes, what's the done thing there? Are you supposed to tip them or not?

(Someone's going to make a joke about giving them more than just the tip aren't they?)

Lepers often leave them a tip

28 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The way some folk are talking on here it seems that having a degree is actually a bad thing and will ensure you end up in a shit job.

No, I don't have one.

Anyway, back on topic; do folk tip bus drivers?

No. It's just the pompous arseholes who talk about University of Lifers who get a justified reaction. I do have one but I've never used it in malice.

27 minutes ago, Rugster said:

All of this definitely, definitely happened. 

This story was related to me by one of the illegal Chinese counter girls. The black driver / pimp (Boogie) was going to bring a cheap prostitute over to the house where all the illegal workers live so they could f**k her. She was going to get $50 per person. When she arrived all the Chinese workers thought she was too gross and decided not to. Only two of the Mexicans did the deed. When she found out that nobody after those two were going to have sex with her she started slapping Boogie and was very angry that she wasn't going to make any money. 

I don't buy this 'if you don't tip delivery drivers they'll leave you until last'. Do they keep logs on who hasn't tipped them? Or are they just all Rainmen who have wasted their talent?

When I delivered papers you'd get tips at Xmas. To this day I can still remember the guy who was the best tipper but I couldn't tell you then who didn't tip me and I delivered to the same houses 6 days a week for 4 years.

If folk are generous tippers then I could believe delivery drivers would prioritise them over others but I don't buy it the other way around.

Archived