Tipping

Jmothecat2

4 minutes ago, placidcasual said:

Can you expand on this please? Are you saying that if someone didn't tip you, you feel it's fair game to steal their property?

No, I was using knobend to refer to troublemakers,punters are only obliged to pay the fare, I'd have no problem launching their mobile if they deliberately wasted my night or caused alarm.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ayrmad said:

It's just another way of perpetuating poverty, they'll be telling us all Yodel drivers are hunkydory next because they always get free delivery on their items.

The onus isn't on a 'leftist' to subsidise someone's wage because 'solidarity'; failing to do so isn't 'perpetuating poverty' at all. Given that no 'leftist' under the sun would regard a tipping structure as a legitimate route out of poverty.

So a solid 0% grade in Political Philosophy for this plucky, University of Life alumnus then.

39 minutes ago, The OP said:

The thing about taxi drivers is they all diddle the taxman to a Rangerseque degree but expect to receive their actual earnings as compensation if they're in an RTA.. 

Don't think that would be a positive strategy going forward.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

The onus isn't on a 'leftist' to subsidise someone's wage because 'solidarity'; failing to do so isn't 'perpetuating poverty' at all. Given that no 'leftist' under the sun would regard a tipping structure as a legitimate route out of poverty.

So a solid 0% grade in Political Philosophy for this plucky, University of Life alumnus then.

Nowt to do with tipping, using Uber for the cheapest price is where the contradiction is for me,  I'd rather be a UoLer than lesser history grad.

I got my first tattoo a couple of months and tipped my tattooist, having read it was a thing supposedly. This may have just been another American thing though, as he seemed pretty shocked that I gave him a bit extra. I was very happy though so I didn't mind.

I always tip my tattooist pretty generously and they always seems genuinely grateful . I reckon it's worth keeping someone sweet if the results of their work is gonna be on you for the rest of your life.

I've worked in jobs in the past where I've depended on tips so I know that giving someone who ain't well paid a couple of quid is well appreciated.

The drunker I get the more I tip, especially if it's a tidy barmaid. Most I've tipped in £50 to a waiter in number one at the balmoral and a couple of time in Mexico I've gave about £50 to wee waiters that have gave tremendous service and where I've had a great night. Probably some amount of dough to them.

I've worked in jobs in the past where I've depended on tips so I know that giving someone who ain't well paid a couple of quid is well appreciated.

The drunker I get the more I tip, especially if it's a tidy barmaid. Most I've tipped in £50 to a waiter in number one at the balmoral and a couple of time in Mexico I've gave about £50 to wee waiters that have gave tremendous service and where I've had a great night. Probably some amount of dough to them.

The waiters there pissed me off. Every time I stood up to go to the toilet or whatever they would tuck my chair in underneath me. They sort of hovered watching us as we ate. The cheese person was brilliant though.

The waiters there pissed me off. Every time I stood up to go to the toilet or whatever they would tuck my chair in underneath me. They sort of hovered watching us as we ate. The cheese person was brilliant though.

Think I've only been there twice. First time service was absolutely spot on. Can't mind them being too attendant- I hate that as well smothering.

3 hours ago, placidcasual said:

Can you expand on this please? Are you saying that if someone didn't tip you, you feel it's fair game to steal their property?

If someone doesn't tip me and they leave something in the cab it's going to the office and the customer can figure it out themselves. If they tip I'm going to their house or work if I know where it's at to try and drop it off to them personally.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Leftist also wouldn't set up a private enterprise system with low taxes, so I guess a leftist business owner is under no obligation to pay a living wage under your logic. Always kicking the can to someone else and freeloading off the system. Seems like a lot of lefties are more interested in freeloading than living their moral system when it hits them in the wallet.

Most I've ever tipped was drunk off my ass in Munich, separated from my friend,  couldn't remember the name of our hotel, and somehow had spent all the euros I had. Offered a cab driver a $100 US bill (only hundos for ballers like me when we're out) if he could take me to my hotel based on my description. I was only a mile away or so. 

My window cleaner is actually set up through a direct debit type thing. But none of that stuff there is particularly an emergency. You could quite easily go to a cash machine in preparation of purchasing any of those things. The suggestion was that cash would be held at home for emergency situations and I can't really think of any other than the bank collapsing.

Maybe you're taking the word emergency too literally? And why go to a cash machine every time you have to pay something with cash-seems a waste of energy when you can simply keep a stash of a few quid at home for such 'emergencies?'

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Maybe you're taking the word emergency too literally? And why go to a cash machine every time you have to pay something with cash-seems a waste of energy when you can simply keep a stash of a few quid at home for such 'emergencies?'

Why wouldn't I take the word emergency literally? 

It's each to their own really but I just don't see the need for keeping cash at your house at all times.

Taxi Drivers and places you eat out expect tips, as do takeaway delivery drivers. However, for me it's all to do with the quality of service. If you keep me waiting ages for a takeaway then no tip for you. In fact, the takeaway drivers are so shite I've taken to phoning and collecting myself. Much quicker.

I have occasionally tipped the hairdresser.

I have never ever tipped the window cleaner. What next? The postman, the bin man?

Archived