Tipping

Jmothecat2

What scenarios are you supposed to tip in?

Usually when I get a takeaway I pick it up as there's a good curry house local to me and on my way home from work. Yesterday though we wanted a takeaway but the Indian I usually go to is closed on Mondays, so we used Just-Eat and ordered from a different place and to make things easier picked delivery. When the guy handed over the curry he sort of lingered and I suddenly realised he was expecting a tip. I didn't have any cash on me (I rarely do) so I just awkwardly said bye and closed the door. Is it expected to give a tip to delivery drivers? When else should you tip, or is tipping in restaurants the only time it's required?

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jmothecat2 said:

What scenarios are you supposed to tip in?

Usually when I get a takeaway I pick it up as there's a good curry house local to me and on my way home from work. Yesterday though we wanted a takeaway but the Indian I usually go to is closed on Mondays, so we used Just-Eat and ordered from a different place and to make things easier picked delivery. When the guy handed over the curry he sort of lingered and I suddenly realised he was expecting a tip. I didn't have any cash on me (I rarely do) so I just awkwardly said bye and closed the door. Is it expected to give a tip to delivery drivers? When else should you tip, or is tipping in restaurants the only time it's required?

My advice to you is not to order from that place again, or you will have some special accompaniment in your curry sauce. 

I do normally tip delivery folk, taxi drivers, hairdressers and in restaurants. One I'm not so sure about is window cleaners, the window cleaner came round the other day and I gave him the exact money whereas my Mrs says you should tip. Does anyone actually tip a window cleaner?

I do normally tip delivery folk, taxi drivers, hairdressers and in restaurants. One I'm not so sure about is window cleaners, the window cleaner came round the other day and I gave him the exact money whereas my Mrs says you should tip. Does anyone actually tip a window cleaner?

I probably wouldn't but I just clean my own windows. Never understood why it seems to be the one sort of cleaning that people hire someone else to do.

4 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Always tip the window cleaner

Ignorant as f**k getting someone to deliver to your house and not tipping them in my opinion. If I'd no cash in the house I would order a takeaway delivery- id drive. Or walk if I was drunk.

Tip taxi drivers, bar maids, barbers, restaurants- can't think of anything else.

You would seriously walk to get a takeaway just because you don't have money to tip?

9 minutes ago, NorthernJambo said:

Taxis and restaurants are the only two I can think of. Occasionally I'll leave my change after buying a round and that as well.
I use justeat because I don't have cash on me, if I don't have cash on me I can't give you a tip I'm afraid dear driver so f**k off from my house now please.

Taxi drivers get paid much more than food deliverers, you fascist. 

Just now, NorthernJambo said:

Who do you deliver for mate?
Recently in London, we used Uber's and never tipped - except for the first one as it was novelty and the driver stopped for cans.

Only fascists use Uber, just so you know. It's in the name. 

Archived