Saints v Sons

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Froxy was poor today.

27 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

That was comfortably his worst game for us. Granted he's had some belters, but today he looked scared to take a man on at times, and his finishing was pretty wasteful. He was also partially at fault for your opener. 

Judging Hutton on his previous appearances for us he looked a different player today. He actually tackled people for one, and his passing was, for the most part, pretty tidy. I mean he still gets turned far too easily, and is far from mobile, but he did well today otherwise.

Just for you guys, here is the BBC's opinion ...

However, the home side were far from out of it with Dimitrios Froxylias dangerous and he had two great efforts which might have opened the scoring after driving in from the right and curling left foot shots just past the post.

Just now, NorthBank said:

Just for you guys, here is the BBC's opinion ...

However, the home side were far from out of it with Dimitrios Froxylias dangerous and he had two great efforts which might have opened the scoring after driving in from the right and curling left foot shots just past the post.

His poor might be considerably better than Kyle Hutton's poor, but trust me  (and BSF) we watch far more of him than Charlie Mann. He was poor today by his standards.

Froxy had a poor game by his standards but was still involved with a lot of chances. Just wasn't his day. Thought we were worth a point but the second goal killed us off. Don't get the point in waiting to go 2 goals down before using subs...

Anyway, stepping away from the Froxy chat, I thought that was a decent game today. Both teams did plenty of attacking, and were pretty direct which made it end-to-end and really high tempo.

St Mirren didn't absolutely blow us away, but that's undoubtedly the best they've played against us. Baird and Buchanan were solid enough, Samson's long distribution was absolutely wonderful, with only Eckersley and Lewis Morgan doppelganger Liam Smith looking like potential weak points defensively. In midfield McShane strolled it. There's no other way of describing it. He hardly broke into anything more than a light jog all match, and barely gave away possession once. We did a really good job of keeping Lewis Morgan quiet, as I feared he'd run riot against us, but that maybe came at the expense of not keeping other guys like McShane, Smith and big Ross Stewart quiet.

Stewart was a player I wanted us to go after in the summer, and I think he showed why today. Sure he looks ungainly, and can look clumsy at times, but he's also a hassle for defenders, and deceptively clever when he's in possession. It'll take him time to settle, but I'd imagine he'll be a good signing. Same too for Reilly who looks back to his Queen of the South self, rather than the odd impersonator who was a bit of a joke at the Pars.

Sutton made an impact when he came on, and watching him, Barr and Dowie grappling at every high ball was hilarious. Fouls AOTS, but fair play to the ref who let it go. I actually thought he had a decent game too fwiw.

For us Scott Gallacher made a few good saves, but probably should have dealt with the corner better for Sutton's goal. Not that it excuses the sheer amount of goals we've conceded from set-pieces this season, something the experienced guys in defence have to take some stick for.

Dowie was good, and won more in the air today than he has done all season. Mango was fine. Boomer and Wardrop were their usual selves, consistent, decent going forward, alright defensively. In midfield Wilson was a bit wasteful in possession - I've seen him play worse, but there were more than a few occasions where he took the wrong option. Hutton - as has been touched on - was surprisingly decent. He did alright in possession, wasn't scared to tackle, and actually played a few clever balls forward. He looked absolutely right up for it too, which was nice.

Out wide Walsh was reasonable in the first half, and poor after that. I was actually surprised he wasn't hooked before he was, as things just weren't working and he looked to lose heart. Stewart was decent, as has been touched on, and looked our most likely to score. I understand Stevie wanting to freshen it up, but I'd have left him on as he still looked absolutely fine.

Nade remains our main man up front. As soon as he went off we were never going to score. He looks like a guy who hasn't hit the net since July though, snatching at a golden chance just before half-time, and then trying to squeeze a pass to Walsh when the shot looked like a better option. Hopefully goal number 50 in Europe comes soon, as he's looking a bit frustrated at the minute.

As Andy Galloway said on Twitter, only once this season have we been totally outclassed and bossed in a league game. If we keep up this standard of performance then I'm confident that the results will come.

1 hour ago, sonsism said:

Froxy had a poor game by his standards but was still involved with a lot of chances. Just wasn't his day. Thought we were worth a point but the second goal killed us off. Don't get the point in waiting to go 2 goals down before using subs...

Have to agree, the subs were 5 mins too late today. You could see that St Mirren were working their way back into the game leading up to the 2nd goal. Not sure who was meant to be marking Sutton but he was completely unmarked. I'll await highlights to see.

On reflection of the game today I think frustration is the best word to describe it from our point of view. 

St Mirren edged us overall, but frustratingly they didn't have to be very good to win a game that, as others have covered, didn't look in doubt.

McGinn was crocked for the last 25/30 mins of the match yet we still gave him too much space to control things rather than putting pressure on him.

The goals we lost are so easily prevented, Froxy not only goes down far too easily, but sits on his are until the ball is nearly on the edge of our box before making any effort to get back.

Our finishing/play in the final third was the most frustrating thing today. As S08 has mentioned, far far far too often we made the wrong decisions when we got into a position that we could have been dangerous from. Froxy and Wilson taking on shots when better options were available and Walsh and Nade were guilty of the opposite - where they should be shooting as soon as play opened up and instead looked for an extra pass that wasn't really there.

As has been said, we will play worse and win (we probably already have this season) but we could really do with another option in attacking mid/up front because we just lack a little bit of quality in my opinion. What I would say is that someone like Roy could offer us that something but he can't get much of a look in and Handling probably won't play for us again going by his sons career so far.

4 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

M.O.M for me. 

My 9 year old lad claimed Sutton deserved mom and I am siding with him yes mcshane performed admirably however big Sutton caused them all sorts of grief and changed the game completely, I saw a hungry John Sutton attack every ball as if his life depended on it and when he scored you couldn't hide the delight on the big man's face hopefully jack now appreciates Sutton s value to the side and we do our utmost to retain his services.

2 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Stewart was a player I wanted us to go after in the summer, and I think he showed why today. Sure he looks ungainly, and can look clumsy at times, but he's also a hassle for defenders, and deceptively clever when he's in possession. It'll take him time to settle, but I'd imagine he'll be a good signing.

Normally agree with your view on most things, but I thought he was rather poor with a terrible touch. Dowie won every single aerial challenge with him, despite not having height advantage. St Mirren regained momentum when Sutton came on for him. At least, that's how I saw it.

Quite astounding that he's apparently surplus to requirements.

It's my one question over JR. There's obviously politics involved but imo Sutto should have played last week whether it was for his ability or just to keep the big man sharp he should have played.

Sutto dragged us out of certain relegation last season with his goal in Ayr and he will score important goals this season if given the chance.

8 minutes ago, Stevie88 said:

It looked quite full to me. Didn’t think there was that many empty seats tbh.

There were a few Saints fans in front of me too, so I assumed it must've been quite full, but Stanton's comments through me a wee bit.

Our attendance last season for Rae's last game (the 1-1 with Hardie and Stirling scoring) was 1101, and then the 2-2 earlier this year was only 1377 despite Ross-mania and £20 tickets- so I doubt we'd have managed a 1600/1700 crowd on £20 prices. We certainly wouldn't have got anywhere near that many in the home end - unless Saints fans jumped across the water to bulk by them.

I suspect that, despite the price, we probably made a similar amount of money to the games last season all in. Which, it could be argued, makes putting up the prices a bit pointless.

13 hours ago, Paul Cicero said:

My 9 year old lad claimed Sutton deserved mom and I am siding with him yes mcshane performed admirably however big Sutton caused them all sorts of grief and changed the game completely, I saw a hungry John Sutton attack every ball as if his life depended on it and when he scored you couldn't hide the delight on the big man's face hopefully jack now appreciates Sutton s value to the side and we do our utmost to retain his services.

Agree Sutton had a great game when he came on winning headers and ruffiling the Dumbarton defence. Sutton will play a big part of our season. 

Have to say a ( big ) well done to Dumbarton F.C. your stadium was very organized  yesterday  no long queues at the gate. Half time down to the catering facilities with two catering facilities running so no long queues again. Dumbarton FC should invite Dunfermline official's along to teach them how to run an away end. This might sound silly but you had to experience the farce at Dunfemline to understand where im coming from. 

Archived