Aberdeen v Killie

I agree with RussellAnderson on reverting to the 4-2-3-1. I would maybe change about a couple of players and positions, though. 

Lewis
Logan O'Connor Considine Shinnie
Tansey Ball
Stewart Christie Wright
May

Christie has to be deployed centrally to get the best from him, so he should be starting there or not at all. I usually prefer having Shinnie's drive and energy in midfield, but, because Wright likes to drift in from the wing, that provides more room for an attack-minded, overlapping left-back; Shinnie is better at performing this role than Considine. I would keep Ball to play essentially as one of the back three when we are attacking, giving the full-backs more licence to push high and support the attack without leaving the defence overly exposed - I'd be looking for him to play something similar to the 'Jack role', in other words. Partnering Ball with Tansey should allow the latter to play his more natural game, with Ball being a much more defensively-minded midfielder than McLean (and probably Shinnie, too). Tansey's set-piece ability has also proved to be an asset a couple of times already this season. However, I will be surprised if McInnes drops McLean. 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I agree with RussellAnderson on reverting to the 4-2-3-1. I would maybe change about a couple of players and positions, though. 

Lewis
Logan O'Connor Considine Shinnie
Tansey Ball
Stewart Christie Wright
May

Christie has to be deployed centrally to get the best from him, so he should be starting there or not at all. I usually prefer having Shinnie's drive and energy in midfield, but, because Wright likes to drift in from the wing, that provides more room for an attack-minded, overlapping left-back; Shinnie is better at performing this role than Considine. I would keep Ball to play essentially as one of the back three when we are attacking, giving the full-backs more licence to push high and support the attack without leaving the defence overly exposed - I'd be looking for him to play something similar to the 'Jack role', in other words. Partnering Ball with Tansey should allow the latter to play his more natural game, with Ball being a much more defensively-minded midfielder than McLean (and probably Shinnie, too). Tansey's set-piece ability has also proved to be an asset a couple of times already this season. However, I will be surprised if McInnes drops McLean. 

The depth in our squad means there aren't the obvious choices we've had in recent years. Ball deserves a chance in a real formation so I can see why he could play. Shinnie at LB is something we'd love to see, but I don't think we're strong enough yet in the middle. Any two from Stewart/GMS/Wright could be deployed out wide, but given the lack of cover they provide going back, we need our midfield two to sit back a little more than they've been used to, especially to cover wide areas. 

6 hours ago, DanMc99 said:

did you not bring in a good few last season?

Not really. Signed a bunch of jobbers who weren't getting a game with their teams down south but not really any non league players and tbf barely any of those players ever really played that we signed last year anyway, they're all gone now. 

I don't think we're due to give someone a pumping (it was Tom English who said). I doubt he's seen us play this season if that's his opinion.

We're due to play well though. Bar Limassol at home I don't think we've played anywhere near our potential yet. McInnes loves an early season tinker, he'll get it right at some point. 

14 minutes ago, shootingboots said:

I don't think we're due to give someone a pumping (it was Tom English who said). I doubt he's seen us play this season if that's his opinion.

We're due to play well though. Bar Limassol at home I don't think we've played anywhere near our potential yet. McInnes loves an early season tinker, he'll get it right at some point. 

This Saturday, would be my guess. I genuinely think it'll be a 4 goal difference, minimum.

19 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

No guarantee.

If you start well and expose us defensively and get a lead we may find it difficult to recover.

So far this season we have NEVER started well, we have NEVER been able to expose our opponents defensively and the only time we managed to get a lead we blew it.

If we manage ANY of he above on Saturday, I'll never recover.

No guarantees???????????????????????????????

I've got an Aberdeen supporting mate who begged to join a Killie WhatsApp group I'm in with a few other Killie pals, (I think he was lonely). It's getting very tiring listening to his "Red Army", "The Famous", "Stand Free" p!sh. Please let us win, just once, so I can return the lols and punt him from the group.

Cheers.

Absolutely no offence taken as it's rare to hear a rival fan being giving a balanced view.

Equally it must seem just as rare hearing opposing fans painting so bleak a picture about their chances.

My post only reflects the general feeling around RP at present, but hopefully we will turn the corner soon.

All the best on Saturday,

I'm genuinely willing these games out of the way. Have absolutely zero interest in Killie from one weekend to the next this weather. What a state of affairs.

I think we're up to 14 defeats in a row against the Dons. Reckon this is the game we strangle a 0-0. Or something.

I think Aberdeen will be best of the rest again this season.  But that doesn't give us any luxury above the rest of the teams in the league.

We have presented chances in every game so far, and last week showed how a well disciplined team can upset us. (St Johnstone would have beaten us).

I haven't seen much of Killie this season, but I have seen Aberdeen and we're not quite right at the moment.

A scabby three points would be very welcome (whether that is Aberdeen playing well or Killie playing poorly I don't care).

Yours, rather nervous and sheepish (fnar, fnar)

aDONis 

51 minutes ago, aDONisSheep said:

I think Aberdeen will be best of the rest again this season.  But that doesn't give us any luxury above the rest of the teams in the league.

We have presented chances in every game so far, and last week showed how a well disciplined team can upset us. (St Johnstone would have beaten us).

I haven't seen much of Killie this season, but I have seen Aberdeen and we're not quite right at the moment.

A scabby three points would be very welcome (whether that is Aberdeen playing well or Killie playing poorly I don't care).

Yours, rather nervous and sheepish (fnar, fnar)

aDONis 

EWE have nothing to worry about.

Aberdeen will RAM home three or four goals.

We don't have a chance of BLEATING you.

etc etc

22 hours ago, Fide said:

EWE have nothing to worry about.

Aberdeen will RAM home three or four goals.

We don't have a chance of BLEATING you.

etc etc

Just flock off.

This is all lined up for us to get beat since nobody gives Killie a chance. 

Just kidding. 3-0 home win please. And if Partick, Ross County and Dundee could all spring a wee surprise that would be more than welcome as well.  I can't see us challenging for the league without a wee bit of help along the way.

To be honest I can't see us challenging for the league but until it's mathematically impossible I have to try and kid myself that we're going to do it. :P

Archived