The Relegation Rumble - DFC vs BCFC

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Get the Dumbarton board tae f**k min. A joke's a joke but £20 for Dumbarton vs Brechin?

Are you suggesting we should lower the prices for this game because it's 2 part time sides? 

If anything this is a game where we should be looking to have a better chance of playing well. Obviously it won't probably happen but if we expected to score a few goals against any team it would be in this match, at home to the only other part time side and newest team to enter the league from below us.

Get over the prices.

47 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Half the division charges £20, get over it.

Why does that make it ok? It's still fucking robbery, regardless of who's playing, to charge £20 to watch a second tier game in Scotland.

Pars charge £18, which is still too high but at least I can see that as basically a donation to the club.

We're over a month into the season now, and I still get seething on away supporters' behalf when I see those prices.

Out of interest (and laziness) how much is it up your way this season?

£15 for the Glebe. Don't want to get into a big price debate but £20 is scandalous for Dumbarton it really is. Your crowds must be dwindling charging that, surely?

44 minutes ago, 'Steve said:

£15 for the Glebe. Don't want to get into a big price debate but £20 is scandalous for Dumbarton it really is. Your crowds must be dwindling charging that, surely?

I understand your point of view, but it' either that or EBT's.  Apparently though, it was a close run thing this season.....

1 hour ago, 'Steve said:

That's more like it.

Aye. The home end certainly doesn't feel as busy, though given that a lot of ST holders haven't renewed, and given we don't get many walkups, I don't think the gate price are the main reason for it end being quiet.

As OKI says there are clearly financial reasons behind it, however it's the latest in a long line of decisions from the powers that be at DFC (nice rhyming from me there...) that are peeving off our small (but loyal) support. 

It's an interesting business model; home customer numbers are diminishing, so prices are set at a level that only the committed will accept, with passing trade all but eliminated.  I really don't know whether there is any science applied in the pricing policy, but I'd hazard that in the absence of any other revenue streams, or for that matter imagination, 'screw the fanbase' becomes that policy.  The fact that visiting supporters have sniffed the coffee is hardly a surprise.

I reckon once season s finished with the bigger gate s against Utd and Pars etc our average attendance will rise to say 800 now that's 300 paying customers per week more than usual , if we charged £20 a game £5 more than we do that would bring in an extra £1500 a game times that by 20 home games that's bringing in an extra 30k a season .I know that's just a rough estimate but shows you how much could be made .
On other hand us Brechiners are fell ticht so probably would nt pay that [emoji85] .

Why does that make it ok? It's still fucking robbery, regardless of who's playing, to charge £20 to watch a second tier game in Scotland.
Pars charge £18, which is still too high but at least I can see that as basically a donation to the club.

They also charge £20 for one of the stands

We're going to be discussing price in every match thread unfortunately.

I'll chip in with my standard reply.

If price was the sole consideration then we would have no reason not to drop the price to £15 across the board and bring in a capacity 2,000 crowd. Unfortunately if we dropped the price to £15 a head then we'd probably only see our crowd increase by about 3 men and a dug and we'd end up losing a significant amount of money.

It's a vicious circle. We need more fans to come to games before we can contemplate lowering prices. Part of the reason we don't have a large fan base is the price of going to watch games at Dumbarton. Its not the only problem and it's not the biggest problem. Our crowds weren't significantly higher before the prices were increased. We've not attracted any more fans to the club since we won promotion to the 2nd tier of Scottish football. Relegation, a price cut at the gate and a level of football where we're potentially more competitive and entertaining wouldn't necessarily help increase crowds.

We have some serious underlying problems that would need to be addressed. Much of them are common throughout Scottish football. Some are specific to Dumbarton.

Archived