Hibernian v Motherwell 16/09/17

MJC

Was that the season when someone apparently briefed the refs that "Motherwell are the pure dirtiest team ever byraway" and we collected a ridiculous number of yellow and red cards?

Good thing nobody in the First Division was worthy of promotion that year.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, nsr said:

Was that the season when someone apparently briefed the refs that "Motherwell are the pure dirtiest team ever byraway" and we collected a ridiculous number of yellow and red cards?

Good thing nobody in the First Division was worthy of promotion that year.

I prefer "over exuberant" to dirty :) 

If there had been a team that won the first division who had spent more 50p on their ground, I suspect we wouldn't be here talking about top division games as we would have been lucky to be in existence now.

Still - I thought the St Johnstone game a few weeks back was the first time I'd seen so many red cards for us - but I was at Easter Rd that day, so it had happened before.

7 hours ago, Swello said:

I most enjoyed the fact that there seemed to be a 20-man rammy every week - great stuff. It was a weirdly enjoyable season considering we finished bottom....

I put that down to being in administration and the bond between the club, the players and the support being closer than ever before or since and the fact that we had a side made up of youngsters who were up for a battle every week, blended with real quality in Faddy and Pearson. We lost more than we won naturally as we lacked discipline, experience and had Stevie Woods and Frankie Dubourdeau vying for the goalkeepers gloves but you always had the feeling that we could pull something off and we did on occasions in the most spectacular fashion possible; beating Celtic, beating Rangers, thrashing Hearts and that memorable Cup run with the Stranraer match being the highlight(Girvan for fish&chips after the game and the whole town taken over by Well fans). 

Strangely enough, the Saints game the other week with the three red cards reminded me of that season and indeed that particular game at Easter Road where we just our discipline and it descended into farce.

Big tests coming up for Motherwell in the next few weeks against Aberdeen and Hibs.

We'll be able to see how much progress has really been made.

Up till now we've basically won the games that we ought to have and lost the games you'd expect against Rangers and St. Johnstone. 

Difficult to really draw much from the team form as 5 games in Motherwell have only had 1 away match and Hibs have only had 1 home match but looking at it Hibs seem to have dropped off a bit from early season when they were scoring a lot of goals and if you can restrict the opposition from scoring more than once then you'll always have a chance.

However I suspect Hibs away will be a sterner test than home matches against the likes of Ross County and Kilmarnock.  The truth is we have won those matches with 45 minute performances and we'll probably have to be better for longer than we have been up till now if we want to take anything from this game.

Defensively we seem to have improved a lot, Moult and Bowman are beginning to form a relationship (please play two up front Robinson!), but where we have fallen down this season is in midfield.  Allan Campbell, pound for pound, our best player this so far but needs to start every week instead of being sent out with a bucket at half time to bail us out.  He did start last week so perhaps there has been progress on that front.

Elsewhere I'm slightly concerned with McHugh's form, not done it for me this season. Been poor defensively and his passing stats must be abysmal. Andy Rose has not been involved much bar a couple of back post runs and Bigirimana was on the bench for a reason last week, he's been inconsistent from match to match, sometimes looking decent, other times toiling. 

Overall though looking forward to getting back to Easter Road after a few years away - provided I can hold the oncoming flu at bay.

Days out in the capital are far more enjoyable than going to miserable places like Hamilton or Dingwall so I'm thoroughly looking forward to my first trip to ER in a while.

This game will be a big indicator as to whether we are going to be in amongst the top six this season and is a chance for the squad to continue showing the character we've seen over the past few games to keep our decent run going.

1-1

Completely agree with the general line of thought that this will give a decent indication as to "where we are" at the moment. I posted about it in the St Johnstone vs Dundee thread but there seems to be a bit more of a gap in the table this season. Where last season at this stage there were only 4 points separating 4th-12th this season there's a gap of 9 points. Whether it's down to a weird fixture list IDK but the same 4 points only covers 8th-12th just now. So with that in mind getting points on the board and extending that gap seems like a good thing.

In terms of a comparison with last season's opening fixtures we've played the same teams bar one, Hearts rather than Dundee. We lost to the same teams (Rangers and St Johnstone) but where we drew with County and Dundee we've turned those draws into wins with Killie being the fixture we won both times.

We'd only scored 5 goals and conceded 6, this season we've scored 8 and conceded 7 with the Saints game being something of a freak given the whole "down to 8 men" thing. The goals still count though..obviously. So taking all that into account then depending on which side of bed you got out of and whether you're of a particularly sunny disposition you can say that at worst there's been marginal improvement against those sides who were around us last season, whether we've improved enough against those expected to finish above us is what we'll learn from this sort of fixture.

It's difficult not to be slightly wary especially as we're still conceding chances. As Ya Bezzer! said, other than the Hearts game, we've won by playing well for 45mins it's unlikely better sides will pass up chances in the same way Brophy did, in fact Dorrans scored from a very similar area on the opening day. Equally I doubt a midfield with Bartley and McGinn in it will be likely to give Bigirimana the same sort of time to pick his passes as he had last week nor will sides be as generous defensively as a team with Kirk Broadfoot calling the shots.

Cards on the table, I'd take a draw right now tbh.

Should be a decent midfield battle in this one. I can't see the manager dropping Campbell or McHugh so it'll be whether he goes with the creativity of Bigirimana or the height and physicality of Rose alongside them.

Think Hibs may have just enough to win this one. Two early goals from them and a late consolation from Moult.

I'm looking forward to Easter rd - I've missed it being on the fixtures the last few years as it was always my "home" game when I lived in Leith and I still like being in that  part of town. My expectations aren't that high of taking anything but if we took even a point, then it would keep the very unusual feelgood thing going for another week. 

I'm interested to see how our players cope with being at a different venue given the meltdown in the cauldron-like atmosphere of er, McDairmid Park in our last away game. I'm also interested to see how Kipre, who has been excellent so far, copes with an experienced (and very good) forward in Stokes...In theory, our team should be more capable of doing all the off-the-ball dirty work that you need in away games than previous years given that they aren't knackered after an hour...

I assume the relevant authorities will have been fully briefed of the necessity to have Neil Lennon arrested and removed from the stadium if he makes any inflammatory gestures towards the Motherwell support.

5 hours ago, Swello said:

Does anyone know when the Away Supporters Ticket Potrakabin* is open before the game?

*the worst development in Scottish Football since the 6.05pm Sunday kickoff.

Open from 1pm.  Cash sales only. Hibs fans are in part of the Away/South stand.

Archived