Strictly Come Dancing

The Naitch

What a final!

• Gorka shaking his arse is always a good way to start the show
  • Just a magical quick step from Layton and Nikita!
  • That tall hunk of a gladiator needed much more screen time
  • Was that tears from Craig after Ellie’s show dance? He’s human after all. Shame about that final lift, good dance otherwise
  • Stunning show dance from Layton and Nikita. I’m after a pair of those trousers, they’re fabulous
  • Superb set of final dances from them
  • Just when Strictly couldn’t get more camp Cher turns up. Love it

Would have been amazing for Layton and Nikita to get the win but Ellie and Vito more than deserved it. They were brilliant.

My parents took up ballroom dancing in ~2000 or so. Pretty quickly it was the main part of their social life. They went around 4 times a week to various dances. They went on holidays tailored towards it. Until Covid hit it was by far their main social outlet. They loved it. 

When Strictly launched they got into a habit. Saturday night they'd get dressed up and go to a dance somewhere. They'd record Strictly while they were out. Come home, glass of wine and watch it together. It was a real ritual for them. 

Covid came and the dances all stopped. And when the restrictions lifted they managed to go to a few, but not many as my dad's health was deteriorating. But they still managed to watch Strictly every week. 

This year my mum watched it alone for the first time. She stopped going to the ballroom dancing - she went once and couldn't face it.  She said that Strictly though really was still a highlight for her - though when Annabelle Frost did the dance in memory of her husband it just melted her. 

Just to add, at the age of 71 she has taken up line dancing. 

23 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

My parents took up ballroom dancing in ~2000 or so. Pretty quickly it was the main part of their social life. They went around 4 times a week to various dances. They went on holidays tailored towards it. Until Covid hit it was by far their main social outlet. They loved it. 

When Strictly launched they got into a habit. Saturday night they'd get dressed up and go to a dance somewhere. They'd record Strictly while they were out. Come home, glass of wine and watch it together. It was a real ritual for them. 

Covid came and the dances all stopped. And when the restrictions lifted they managed to go to a few, but not many as my dad's health was deteriorating. But they still managed to watch Strictly every week. 

This year my mum watched it alone for the first time. She stopped going to the ballroom dancing - she went once and couldn't face it.  She said that Strictly though really was still a highlight for her - though when Annabelle Frost did the dance in memory of her husband it just melted her. 

Just to add, at the age of 71 she has taken up line dancing. 

Sad Doctor Who GIF

Well Scottsdad has us all greeting today. Delighted to hear that's Scottsgranny has found a new hobby.

My own grandparents loved Scottish country dancing and my gran never went back after my grandpa died at 57. She really missed it.

Strictly, for all its faults, brings folk together. Hope you and yours have a wonder festive season and I'll see you on the Doctor Who thread

• 2 weeks later...