Queens v Morton

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Excellent clips there. From those angles you can see the criticism of Martin is valid. It's a tremendous strike and he probably wouldn't have got there anyway, but he has to be leaving the ground for that rather than making no attempt.

I think everyone else is watching something different to me. He hasn't got an earthly with that shot and it was way out of his reach. It went over his head like a rocket and dipped just under the bar. There's an argument that he's positioned too close to the near post when it's struck perhaps but once it is struck it's gone.  I don't think Martin had a prayer with either goal.

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I think everyone else is watching something different to me. He hasn't got an earthly with that shot and it was way out of his reach. It went over his head like a rocket and dipped just under the bar. There's an argument that he's positioned too close to the near post when it's struck perhaps but once it is struck it's gone.  I don't think Martin had a prayer with either goal.

Agreed. The first one is a corker of a bit from Forbes right inside the post, he didn't even really see it from the camera behind the goal. I don't think any goalkeeper in the league was stopping Quitongo's.

He didn't really have a chance with the goals, but I don't think he would have saved the second one even if the shot hadn't been as good. Saying that, it is difficult to know whether his failure to make any attempt to save it was because he knew he wouldn't get near it, or because he couldn't dive. The evidence from the rest of the game suggests he has great difficulty in getting his feet to leave the ground, even for crosses. I can't remember him making a diving save in any games I've been at or seen the highlights from. He just looks like somebody who is really unfit or carrying an injury that is more than "a knock". Eta I could be wrong about him not making diving saves, just can't remember any. Eta (again) he looks like he is diving in slow motion/falling over in the goal we lost against Falkirk 

Quitongo's goal obviously takes the headlines but I think Lyle's goal deserves a fair bit of credit. That was an excellently worked goal and shows what they're capable of when the ball is played on the deck. Kane had a big part to play in as well but he isn't scoring so he should definitely be dropped next week.

53 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Quitongo's goal was very well taken but I think Dobbie's early 2nd half goal at Falkirk and Andy Stirling's at Livingston were better.  Discuss. 

Quitongos for me because of the angle he hit it from and the pace and dip he got on the ball 

15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

From reading this thread we have the Queens fans unimpressed with Stirling, Martin and Kane.  Send them all back to us, you ungrateful turds.

Stirling and Kane have shown their quality in patches, they just need to do it more consistently.

Most fans are more than happy with Martin.

1 hour ago, irvine_buddie said:

Great goal from Quitongo but simmer down with the celebration wee man.. Efe Ambrose Backflip, Conor McGregror swagger and the Gareth Bale heart all from one goal :rolleyes:

Goals breed confidence and confidence breeds the sickest of celebrations. 

post-38855-0-90494800-1441122678.jpg

3 hours ago, GiGi said:

I don't think any goalkeeper in the league was stopping Quitongo's.

Agree but with the caveat that I think a top goalie gets a hand to it. Martin still looks a bit sluggish for me. Was expecting him to be more of a stand out TBH given the hype.

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Quitongo's goal was very well taken but I think Dobbie's early 2nd half goal at Falkirk and Andy Stirling's at Livingston were better.  Discuss. 

You're quite simply wrong. Discussion over. 

21 minutes ago, steakpiegravy said:

Agree but with the caveat that I think a top goalie gets a hand to it. Martin still looks a bit sluggish for me. Was expecting him to be more of a stand out TBH given the hype.

Can I ask what is meant by sluggish? His reactions were excellent for us even though he does look slightly over weight. He was never one for rushing off his line though, so if it's sluggish in regards to his pace then that's understandable but I'm not sure it's too important in his position.

52 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Most fans are more than happy with Martin.

Are they? Based on what?

He played for 15 minutes against Brechin before he got injured. Then played at Dundee U when he wasn't fit and looked like he could hardly move for their second goal. Didn't play v Airdrie. Had next to nothing to do v Dumbarton. Didn't have much to do v Falkirk and conceded a goal when diving like somebody had pushed him over. Didn't play v Berwick after Naysmith admitted that they had been "nursing him along". Didn't play v Livingston. Looked like there was something hampering his movement/ability to jump v Morton.

So, how can anybody be more than happy with him? Based on the League Cup games where we played Stenny, Albion Rovers and East Kilbride? Or, the one game v Accies? 

And I'm not saying I'm unhappy with him. I'm saying I can't judge how good he is because I think there is something up with him. However, if he is fit (he missed the game last week through illness, not injury) then I will revise that opinion unless he starts showing signs of being able to move freely and actually jump. 

Archived