Queens v Morton

7 minutes ago, Flash said:

Are they? Based on what?

He played for 15 minutes against Brechin before he got injured. Then played at Dundee U when he wasn't fit and looked like he could hardly move for their second goal. Didn't play v Airdrie. Had next to nothing to do v Dumbarton. Didn't have much to do v Falkirk and conceded a goal when diving like somebody had pushed him over. Didn't play v Berwick after Naysmith admitted that they had been "nursing him along". Didn't play v Livingston. Looked like there was something hampering his movement/ability to jump v Morton.

So, how can anybody be more than happy with him? Based on the League Cup games where we played Stenny, Albion Rovers and East Kilbride? Or, the one game v Accies? 

And I'm not saying I'm unhappy with him. I'm saying I can't judge how good he is because I think there is something up with him. However, if he is fit (he missed the game last week through illness, not injury) then I will revise that opinion unless he starts showing signs of being able to move freely and actually jump. 

Based on the fact that, until you started this weekend, no one else has made any criticism of him - that I remember anyway.

No, you're right, hes clearly the worst keeper we've ever had .. bring back Robinson. Oh wait, you didnt like him either

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Based on the fact that, until you started this weekend, no one else has made any criticism of him - that I remember anyway.

No, you're right, hes clearly the worst keeper we've ever had .. bring back Robinson. Oh wait, you didnt like him either

Missing the point in spectacular fashion. I specifically said that I am not unhappy with him.  I am saying I think he is playing with an injury which is significant enough to prevent him from moving freely and jumping.

And there were 3 posts this weekend criticising Martin before I even mentioned him.  I'll go back and quote them if you like. Certain other posts questioned his positioning, which is more of a criticism of his goalkeeping ability than anything I've said. 

4 minutes ago, Flash said:

Missing the point in spectacular fashion. I specifically said that I am not unhappy with him.  I am saying I think he is playing with an injury which is significant enough to prevent him from moving freely and jumping.

And there were 3 posts this weekend criticising Martin before I even mentioned him.  I'll go back and quote them if you like. Certain other posts questioned his positioning, which is more of a criticism of his goalkeeping ability than anything I've said. 

Its only a matter of time though. Im just jumping ahead

Players with the skills of Quitongo and Forbes can make any goalie look a bit suspect so I certainly wouldn't be blaming Martin for Saturday.  I haven't seen much mention of Gaston's saves. He wasn't overly busy  but had a couple of great stops, particularly one down low to his left in the first half.

Thanks for the great clips Queeens.

17 minutes ago, cornbeef said:

Players with the skills of Quitongo and Forbes can make any goalie look a bit suspect so I certainly wouldn't be blaming Martin for Saturday.  I haven't seen much mention of Gaston's saves. He wasn't overly busy  but had a couple of great stops, particularly one down low to his left in the first half.

Thanks for the great clips Queeens.

Certainly not much mention of Gaston's saves on here but in post-match interviews Duffy,  Naysmith and Quitongo all mention the part he played in securing the win.  I was viewing from behind the opposite goals and he certainly made at least a couple of great saves in the second half. 

Just watched the goals. 

Kane did well for Queens goal, hadn't realised he'd done so well in the build up. 

Forbes goal was well taken but it could easily have come off a Queens player, if Fordyce (I think) had been marginally slower  it would have hit him.  If he had been more than marginally faster earlier Quitongo wouldn't have got the cross in.....

Quitongo's goal was unstoppable, anything that comes down brushing the bar on the way down is impossible for a keeper to stop. He shouldn't really have been shooting from there, what was he thinking of???!

Sorry, but the goalkeeping for Quitongo's goal is simply dreadful.

I thought at the time that he'd reacted slowly, but probably wouldn't have got to it anyway.  That was on the assumption that it must have gone in the postage stamp though, having clipped the bar.

The film shows that it was nowhere near the corner.  The goalkeeper wasn't way off his line and if he'd perhaps jumped or, I don't know, maybe tried to use his hands, who knows what might have been possible?

A pathetic attempt.

Quitongo,s goal well it,s all been said really,Brilliant.Not really getting the critisism of Kane i thought he played ok on Saturday. Dont think Martin could have done much with the goals either. I did comment during the game that i thought he looked a bit sluggish though. Overall i think we did enough to get a point but heyho well done Morton.

20 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I thought at the time that he'd reacted slowly, but probably wouldn't have got to it anyway.  That was on the assumption that it must have gone in the postage stamp though, having clipped the bar.

The film shows that it was nowhere near the corner.  The goalkeeper wasn't way off his line and if he'd perhaps jumped or, I don't know, maybe tried to use his hands, who knows what might have been possible?

A pathetic attempt.

18 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Goalkeepers don't look foolish if they can't be faulted.

You can't be serious? :lol:

image.thumb.png.5c6740f8065314283cc0691c31e68d29.png

Unless your club signs up Inspector Gadget to play in goals, nobody is getting near that shot.

47 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You can't be serious? :lol:

image.thumb.png.5c6740f8065314283cc0691c31e68d29.png

Unless your club signs up Inspector Gadget to play in goals, nobody is getting near that shot.

Not when it's many feet from the goal, no.

When it clips a fairly central area of the bar though, a tall able bodied young man who can use his hands might have a prayer if he jumps in such a way that doesn't actually effectively make him shorter.

27 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Not when it's many feet from the goal, no.

When it clips a fairly central area of the bar though, a tall able bodied young man who can use his hands might have a prayer if he jumps in such a way that doesn't actually effectively make him shorter.

I am less inclined to blame him for this one as it was a great strike but he didn't cover himself in glory with his movement and starting position. 

The goal we conceded at Falkirk though wasn't a dive it was more like a slow fall over. I don't think he is fully fit  which the blame falls slightly with the manager if he is picking him when it fit enough to dive. 

23 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

A pathetic attempt.

Out of curiosity,what is your thoughts on Valencia's goal for Man U on Sunday? Think it was Gary Neville who thought Pickford should have saved it and had it been De Gea he would have.

My take on it is that from that starting position he has precisely zero chance of saving it.  If he had been stood in the centre of his goals he might have had a slight chance, but the pace and power on the shot, and the fact that he wasn't expecting it mean even then it is unlikely.  I don't know enough about the art of goalkeeping to know if being so near his front post is a normal position to be in in that situation but I think in this instance it is inconsequential.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I notice there's very little criticism for Tapping who done virtually nothing but show Quitongo inside onto his stronger side and made a half arsed attempt at stopping the shot. All about opinions I guess but I find it amazing anyone can blame Martin for that.

Tapping had a poor game.  This was pointed out by myself and a few others.

1 hour ago, k-ton said:

Maybe you queens fans need to consider why your team is persisting with playing an injured keeper a mere 6 games into the league campaign? How bad is your No. 2? 

If he's injured you know more than we do.  The match preview http://www.qosfc.com/news-3705 said the following - 

With no fresh injury concerns the squad will be along the same lines as last week with Alan Martin returning to the squad following illness .

18 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

My take on it is that from that starting position he has precisely zero chance of saving it.  If he had been stood in the centre of his goals he might have had a slight chance, but the pace and power on the shot, and the fact that he wasn't expecting it mean even then it is unlikely.  I don't know enough about the art of goalkeeping to know if being so near his front post is a normal position to be in in that situation but I think in this instance it is inconsequential.

Tapping had a poor game.  This was pointed out by myself and a few others.

If he's injured you know more than we do.  The match preview http://www.qosfc.com/news-3705 said the following - 

He picked up an injury earlier in the season.  Obviously, hes played since that but I said on Saturday night it looked pretty obvious he wasnt 100%.

Although he could have been 200% fit and still not got near Quintogos goal, such was the quality of the strike.

Archived