Queens v Morton

Missed a Morton trip to Dumfries for the first time for years due to a family commitment and will miss our next two games due to visiting the kids in America.   I can't comment on the actual game therefore but the result was fantastic.  That's Morton now beaten three of the clubs who were the top four at the start of play yesterday.   Conversely, we lost to Livingston  and only managed draws with Dumbarton and Inverness.  

It seems that we can handle teams who set up to attack us but we have difficulty in breaking down teams who sit in and look to hit on the break.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Slenderman said:

OT:

I hope you pump the Skunks next Sunday.

Start with the same formation as the last two games then I have my doubts.  I hope to be proved wrong or our slide down the table could mirror last season. We're still in touch with them just now thanks to the Pars yesterday. 

37 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Did we go 4-4-2 yesterday?  I lost track of the shape altogether after the subs and I think the team did as well.  It seemed to be a case of throw on as many attackers as possible and hope for the best.  Something James Fowler was roundly criticised for I'm sure.  Reminds me of my 12 year old self when playing Championship Manager.

Kind of. It was more a kind of 4-1-3-2, I suppose. Jacobs was pretty much on his own in the midfield with Dobbie dropping off the strikers.

I don't want to take anything away from Quitongo's strike, I think the sheer power in it alone probably would have seen it go in regardless.  It doesn't look like a great starting position from Martin though.  Perhaps understandably wasn't expecting a shot.  He's an upgrade on Robinson but I'm yet to see this outstanding goalkeeper the Dumbarton fans told us we would be getting.  He looks to be carrying a bit of weight as well.

I think it was pretty clear Martin wasnt fully fit yesterday. He wasnt coming for balls in the box that he was mopping up earlier in the season

I must admit I think Rooney has the makings of a decent signing. He has made a couple of errors away at Stenny and against McMullan at Tannadice but to his credit he has scored 3 decent goals from a handful of games at RB!!!!

In some of the games he has looked a real threat going forward. If we are going to play with 3 central midfielders I think you do need both full backs to give you width. I am not certain that Messrs Brownlie and Fordyce are necessarily the best pairing but they have played well together in the early games. Kerr played very well yesterday in second half and was also very solid at Falkirk.

It may be that GN has to think about. 3-4-3 as a possible solution because I am not convinced that Tapping Rankin and Jacobs all warrant a starting slot. If we play all of them together it potentially means that better players are sitting it out on the bench. That said just as the 3 of them were dominating the midfield like I have never seen them do before, GN decides to sacrifice Rankin and brings on McFadden .........AARGH!!!!

Did we go 4-4-2 yesterday?  I lost track of the shape altogether after the subs and I think the team did as well.  It seemed to be a case of throw on as many attackers as possible and hope for the best.  Something James Fowler was roundly criticised for I'm sure.  Reminds me of my 12 year old self when playing Championship Manager.
I don't want to take anything away from Quitongo's strike, I think the sheer power in it alone probably would have seen it go in regardless.  It doesn't look like a great starting position from Martin though.  Perhaps understandably wasn't expecting a shot.  He's an upgrade on Robinson but I'm yet to see this outstanding goalkeeper the Dumbarton fans told us we would be getting.  He looks to be carrying a bit of weight as well.

I have got to say that in the recent jousts with Dumbarton Martin did not catch my eye as a top keeper but that is not a fair representation of how he played in the season past. I bow to the superior knowledge of the Sons' fans but as I said earlier if he is now fully fit I would be concerned.He looks uncomfortable in the goalkeeping sweeper role and I don't think he'll save many shots that require speed and agility. To be fair though our keepers haven't had many shots to save - a high percentage of shots on target against us keep going in unlike the other end!!!

17 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I must admit I think Rooney has the makings of a decent signing. He has made a couple of errors away at Stenny and against McMullan at Tannadice but to his credit he has scored 3 decent goals from a handful of games at RB!!!!

In some of the games he has looked a real threat going forward. If we are going to play with 3 central midfielders I think you do need both full backs to give you width. I am not certain that Messrs Brownlie and Fordyce are necessarily the best pairing but they have played well together in the early games. Kerr played very well yesterday in second half and was also very solid at Falkirk.

It may be that GN has to think about. 3-4-3 as a possible solution because I am not convinced that Tapping Rankin and Jacobs all warrant a starting slot. If we play all of them together it potentially means that better players are sitting it out on the bench. That said just as the 3 of them were dominating the midfield like I have never seen them do before, GN decides to sacrifice Rankin and brings on McFadden .........AARGH!!!!

Three at the back is certainly an option and I think we have three centre halves who are mobile enough to play it well, along with two potentially good wingbacks. However, assuming the front three stays all youre  doing is replacing a midfielder with a centre half, effectively changing a formation to accommodate Fordyce and Kerr at centre half. I dont think the current formation is about getting Tapping, Rankin and Jacobs in to the team, its more about being able to play Dobbie alongside two other strikers.

16 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I have got to say that in the recent jousts with Dumbarton Martin did not catch my eye as a top keeper but that is not a fair representation of how he played in the season past. I bow to the superior knowledge of the Sons' fans but as I said earlier if he is now fully fit I would be concerned.He looks uncomfortable in the goalkeeping sweeper role and I don't think he'll save many shots that require speed and agility. To be fair though our keepers haven't had many shots to save - a high percentage of shots on target against us keep going in unlike the other end!!!

I too would be concerned if that is him in peak condition, Mr X seems to think it was clear he wasn't fully fit and I concur!  However I didn't know there was any doubt over his fitness as I thought he missed last week due to illness, not injury.

Some observations. 

I thought at 2-0  'here we go again', particularly as Qitongo looked brilliant. But where did he go afterwards? I was pleased he 'disappeared', otherwise we were in for a drubbing again, is he the sort of player who drifts in and out of games?

I'd have kept Kane on, he was having a better game and I still hope there's more to come.

Can't work out Tapping, there's a classy player in there somewhere but this is an unforgiving league and he was struggling yesterday.

We do have a weakness at right back, I think teams exploit it.  I would go with Rooney, but I'd have Kerr and Brownlie at centre back.  It would be tough on Fordyce but I think Kerr could be better in the long term.

McFadden - same comment as Tapping, we can't afford to give home game time to get him fit, these aren't friendliest we're playing. He has to come good soon - and I was one of his fans a few years ago.

I will miss next week, hoping to get BBC Alba on my phone whilst cruising down the coast of Oregon......

32 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I too would be concerned if that is him in peak condition, Mr X seems to think it was clear he wasn't fully fit and I concur!  However I didn't know there was any doubt over his fitness as I thought he missed last week due to illness, not injury.

Hi did. DIdnt he also have a knock before that? I've no idea what the issue was yesterday but he clearly wasnt as mobile as he was earlier in the season

23 minutes ago, QOSQOS said:

Some observations. 

I thought at 2-0  'here we go again', particularly as Qitongo looked brilliant. But where did he go afterwards? I was pleased he 'disappeared', otherwise we were in for a drubbing again, is he the sort of player who drifts in and out of games?

I'd have kept Kane on, he was having a better game and I still hope there's more to come.

Can't work out Tapping, there's a classy player in there somewhere but this is an unforgiving league and he was struggling yesterday.

We do have a weakness at right back, I think teams exploit it.  I would go with Rooney, but I'd have Kerr and Brownlie at centre back.  It would be tough on Fordyce but I think Kerr could be better in the long term.

McFadden - same comment as Tapping, we can't afford to give home game time to get him fit, these aren't friendliest we're playing. He has to come good soon - and I was one of his fans a few years ago.

I will miss next week, hoping to get BBC Alba on my phone whilst cruising down the coast of Oregon......

Kerr is on loan until January. I dont think we should be worrying about his long term development

16 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

A don't think even Buffon would be free of criticism at Palmerston emoji38.png

Quite right

21360774323_eaed6aae00_o.jpg

looks horrendous 

It's funny, I , like you, have been saying to myself recently; "we couldn't play 3-4-3, could we?!"

Archived