Queens v Morton

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10 September 2017 at 21:18, Colkitto said:

Forbes and McHugh to the bench and Harkins and Quitongo in from the start. That's the only changes I would make from the starting line up on Saturday.

I'll take a score draw right now, but we're capable of the win if we play for the full 90 minutes

Not so sure about Harkins from the start, don't think he is a 90 minute man these days. I think he is more affective coming on later in the game?

8 hours ago, Bailey1874 said:

Not so sure about Harkins from the start, don't think he is a 90 minute man these days. I think he is more affective coming on later in the game?

I think he looks a lot fitter than he did last season. He deserves a start ahead of Forbes in my opinion. Forbes can always come on as a sub if needs be.  

53 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Why has Forbes gone from a "must start" player of last season to an "off the bench" player this season.  Loss of form or is Harkins doing better in there?  

Forbes hasn't started the season well and we now have options we can use. I'm sure he'll come good again, but like any player he's is going through a sticky patch.

14 hours ago, virginton said:

Probably about 300 will head to the Borders for this one. 

That might help us get our first crowd of over 1,500 this season.

Anyway, no idea how this might go. The 3 teams we've beaten so far are the ones who have no wins themselves and currently have 7 points between them. It remains to be seen whether our decent points total is really just a reflection of how the fixtures have fallen. The fact that we took maximum points from them and scored 9 goals is encouraging, though. Then again, Morton took maximum points from St.Mirren and Dunfermline, scoring 7 goals.

Sixth home game and Morton are the first full-time team we've played, which must be quite unusual.

2 hours ago, Colkitto said:

Forbes hasn't started the season well and we now have options we can use. I'm sure he'll come good again, but like any player he's is going through a sticky patch.

The problem is, Forbes only plays well when the team plays well. He isn't the type of player player to take the game by the scruff of the neck if other players aren't performing. The other players carry him through games.

1 hour ago, IainMorton said:

The problem is, Forbes only plays well when the team plays well. He isn't the type of player player to take the game by the scruff of the neck if other players aren't performing. The other players carry him through games.

jose.png.3008998a8ea08a826f016ff35a003849.png

That would be the same Ross Forbes who carried the team in several piss-poor performances between January and March last season. The same Forbes who, when the rest of the team was conspiring to lose to a shan Ayr United side in a brutal performance, provided an assist and an injury-time winner to ensure that natural order was restored. And take the title to Cappielow in the process. Here's some video evidence in case you were facing the back of the stand or something:

You can criticise a player like Forbes for being off form, or for not offering much support to the full-back defensively. To claim that "other players carry him through games" is palpable nonsense though.

Just now, virginton said:

jose.png.3008998a8ea08a826f016ff35a003849.png

That would be the same Ross Forbes who carried the team in several piss-poor performances between January and March last season. The same Forbes who, when the rest of the team was conspiring to lose to a shan Ayr United side in a brutal performance, provided an assist and an injury-time winner to ensure that natural order was restored. And take the title to Cappielow in the process. Here's some video evidence in case you were facing the back of the stand or something:

You can criticise a player like Forbes for being off form, or for not offering much support to the full-back defensively. To claim that "other players carry him through games" is palpable nonsense though.

Agree with that. He carried the team for a fair chunk of last season and when his goals and/or assists dried up our results took a turn for the worse. I recall him starting off last season quite poorly as well, hopefully he'll improve sooner rather than later as I can't see Duffy dropping him. 

Forbes' problem is that he's not necessarily the hardest worker or fastest player, so when his goal/assists aren't coming he's not adding too much to the team aside from his decent passing. When he is scoring and assisting though he's invaluable. Hopefully he'll hit form again at some point because that Forbes/O'Ware combo last season was deadly.

Nothing to be concerned about in this one.  It's not like we've previous for the wheels coming off a promising start to a season at home to Morton...

Big game this really.  Arguably our toughest of the season given that we'd have probably been considered underdogs for the trips to Dundee United and Falkirk meaning there was less pressure on us.  The onus is on us to win this one as the home team and as Flash points out, Morton will likely be the hardest opponents to have visited Dumfries this season.

It will be interesting to see if Naysmith sticks with the 4-3-3 formation that had served us well prior to Saturday, or alters it after the underwhelming performance up in Livingston.  I'd be inclined to stick with it, but restore Rooney to the team.  The narrow midfield three of Jacobs, Rankin and Tapping really needs the full-backs pushing on and creating width.  I wasn't up at Livi but I can't imagine Fordyce did that in the same way Rooney does.

For me, one of Kane or Dykes has to drop out for Lyle.  We just can't afford to leave such a potent goal threat on the bench.  He brings the best out of Dobbie and vice versa.

15 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Nothing to be concerned about in this one.  It's not like we've previous for the wheels coming off a promising start to a season at home to Morton...

Big game this really.  Arguably our toughest of the season given that we'd have probably been considered underdogs for the trips to Dundee United and Falkirk meaning there was less pressure on us.  The onus is on us to win this one as the home team and as Flash points out, Morton will likely be the hardest opponents to have visited Dumfries this season.

It will be interesting to see if Naysmith sticks with the 4-3-3 formation that had served us well prior to Saturday, or alters it after the underwhelming performance up in Livingston.  I'd be inclined to stick with it, but restore Rooney to the team.  The narrow midfield three of Jacobs, Rankin and Tapping really needs the full-backs pushing on and creating width.  I wasn't up at Livi but I can't imagine Fordyce did that in the same way Rooney does.

For me, one of Kane or Dykes has to drop out for Lyle.  We just can't afford to leave such a potent goal threat on the bench.  He brings the best out of Dobbie and vice versa.

I'd agree with both those changes. For me, it would be Dykes dropping out. He wasnt great at Livingston, although neither was Kane, but Kane brings something different to the team and I think his running compliments Lyle and Dobbie better than Dykes.

I'd like to see Stirling come in too as he is far too good to be an impact sub but there isn't really anyone to come in on the other side that could play a prolonged spell  or is good enough if we played a 4-4-2. Only other thing would be maybe  to move Dobbie up front and play Stirling in a free role but that doesn't sit well with me at all.

I'd probably go Lyle for Dykes as well mainly because they'll play a similar tactical role and Kane can at least close down the defence.

48 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I'd agree with both those changes. For me, it would be Dykes dropping out. He wasnt great at Livingston, although neither was Kane, but Kane brings something different to the team and I think his running compliments Lyle and Dobbie better than Dykes.

As would I for the same reasons.  I thought I'd leave it open for discussion though as I saw a few people criticising Kane after Saturday, whereas Dykes wasn't mentioned.  I can only assume that meant he played okay as it doesn't usually take much for our fans to get on his back.

36 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

I'd like to see Stirling come in too as he is far too good to be an impact sub but there isn't really anyone to come in on the other side that could play a prolonged spell  or is good enough if we played a 4-4-2. Only other thing would be maybe  to move Dobbie up front and play Stirling in a free role but that doesn't sit well with me at all.

I'd probably go Lyle for Dykes as well mainly because they'll play a similar tactical role and Kane can at least close down the defence.

I've not seen enough from Stirling to be convinced he merits a start.  If we were to shift to a convential 4-4-2 I suppose Dykes could play wide right.  If we were to do that I'd be inclined to stick with Fordyce at full-back to give us a bit of protection down that side.  Overall though I'd prefer we stick with 4-3-3.

13 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

As would I for the same reasons.  I thought I'd leave it open for discussion though as I saw a few people criticising Kane after Saturday, whereas Dykes wasn't mentioned.  I can only assume that meant he played okay as it doesn't usually take much for our fans to get on his back.

I've not seen enough from Stirling to be convinced he merits a start.  If we were to shift to a convential 4-4-2 I suppose Dykes could play wide right.  If we were to do that I'd be inclined to stick with Fordyce at full-back to give us a bit of protection down that side.  Overall though I'd prefer we stick with 4-3-3.

From what I've seen, he does seem to  have something about him and is one of the few players that could run at defences with pace. Suppose Tapping could play wide right seeing as Morton don't really have pacey wingers but I can't really see us making a big tactical change to accommodate one player  unless Naysmith has a different game plan for home games.

Archived