Ayr Utd vs Alloa Athletic

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a more positive note it was great to see Adams and Docherty back to their best yesterday although McGuffie looked pretty poor especially in the second half.

That save Hart made in the second half should be a confidence boost more than anything and at least he wasn't at fault for any of the goals either.

On a more positive note it was great to see Adams and Docherty back to their best yesterday although McGuffie looked pretty poor especially in the second half.

That save Hart made in the second half should be a confidence boost more than anything and at least he wasn't at fault for any of the goals either.

Not sure that Hart was totally blameless over the second, yes we defended it poorly but his non attempt at saving it wasn't great.
Personally, I was never keen on giving him the number 1 spot with no real competition. If I was the manager I would be looking to bring in another keeper.
As the Raith fans stated we ain't gonna win the league with him as our only keeper.

Ayr keeper did make a brilliant save from Malky near the end of the game.

I can see why Ayr fans may think they deserved the win with some of the pressure they had, but for long spells they couldn't get going against us.

It was a really entertaining game- a battle on a sodden pitch and I was encouraged by how much we were up for the fight, particularly after a poor opening. I wouldn't say it was fluent, but we still played some decent stuff at times. Renton and Fleming both had probably their best games for us. Thought we might have got the win had Robbo stayed on. 

I know Goodwin wound up the home support with some of his antics, but he gives us what we have been missing- a bit of craft and leadership.

Very pleased with the effort and spirit shown- we look like we are getting there a bit more and hopefully we can take it forward.

13 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Not sure that Hart was totally blameless over the second, yes we defended it poorly but his non attempt at saving it wasn't great.
Personally, I was never keen on giving him the number 1 spot with no real competition. If I was the manager I would be looking to bring in another keeper.
As the Raith fans stated we ain't gonna win the league with him as our only keeper.

Can't see how any blame could be attributed to the keeper. The smallest player on the park shouldn't be getting that kind of space to head home a corner, but he got a lot of power on it in a packed area. 

I thought the keeper was fine yesterday, no stupid mistakes, no diving about his box like a dafty, hopefully he proves me wrong, even allowing for Cawleys goal I thought we defended crosses better than we have in the league so far this this season.

I was more disappointed with us going forward at times yesterday, we had Goodwin blowing out his arse and a tiring right back on a yellow and for the most part we chose to do the "10 wee touches and hope to get past the man" routine, we need to recapture a bit of our early season confidence going forward, especially against well drilled defences.

2 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I thought the keeper was fine yesterday, no stupid mistakes, no diving about his box like a dafty, hopefully he proves me wrong, even allowing for Cawleys goal I thought we defended crosses better than we have in the league so far this this season.

I was more disappointed with us going forward at times yesterday, we had Goodwin blowing out his arse and a tiring right back on a yellow and for the most part we chose to do the "10 wee touches and hope to get past the man" routine, we need to recapture a bit of our early season confidence going forward, especially against well drilled defences.

Goodwin's first start since January, so not surprisingly he was running on empty a bit towards the end. That was very much a makeshift back line for us yesterday- Andy Graham (who I saw outside in a sling) currently injured, and Meggatt usually plays on the middle but had to shift to LB as our regular guy there has also been injured.

1 minute ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Goodwin's first start since January, so not surprisingly he was running on empty a bit towards the end. That was very much a makeshift back line for us yesterday- Andy Graham (who I saw outside in a sling) currently injured, and Meggatt usually plays on the middle but had to shift to LB as our regular guy there has also been injured.

Makeshift or not the were obviously following instructions quite well, going by the amount of time the ref spent talking to the 6 and Goodwin he might have been advising them on where to tighten up.

It's the centre of our defence that's the problem. Absolute powder puff when the chips are down. Higgins and Boyle back will help, but I still think we need a stronger presence in there. I'd play Adams in there for the time being.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

That penalty decision is astoundingly bad. Referee is about 10 yards away with a clear line of sight, total brain fart. That being said, Alloa could easily have had another when the centre half barrelled into the back of the attacker clumsily.

I would have been disappointed if he'd given a penalty for that as he never felt that was a foul on about 10 or 15 occasions.

Always suspicious when a manager claims that a referee apologised to them for a decision right after the game. Considering that they won't have seen a replay of the incident by that point, why would a ref be so sure they'd got it wrong?

Always suspicious when a manager claims that a referee apologised to them for a decision right after the game. Considering that they won't have seen a replay of the incident by that point, why would a ref be so sure they'd got it wrong?

McCall said in his post match interview the ref watched the replay

5 hours ago, pandarilla said:

That header was right in the top corner, and the keeper simply couldn't get there. We had a player between him and the post as well. Very harsh to suggest any blame with any of the goals yesterday.

It wasn't as visible in the highlights but his initial positioning for the second reminded me of the free kick last week at Starks. Not sure if this had been better whether he could have made an attempt to catch it or not. 

Must admit when i saw the highlights i thought it looked like it came off Adams' hand, and i can understand why the ref thought so too. TV replays show it was clearly his head, but the ref has to make an instant call which he did. Unlike us he doesn't have the benefit of multiple replays.

On 16/09/2017 at 17:16, thomas 62 said:

If the refs watch hadn't stopped it would have been 4 in a row for Super Ayr.

First chance I've had to read this thread, your team secure a very impressive 4-0 victory away from home and your first thought is Ayr United. Cute. 

Archived