Ayr Utd vs Alloa Athletic

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair play to Jim Goodwin, he made an absolute mug of that referee.  That said, Ayr need to look at themselves.  After scoring early we basically stopped playing football and it was no great surprise when Alloa equalised.  I don't know how many aimless floated punts we hit up to Moffat in that first half..  We really are relying on out-scoring the opposition as that defence is desperately poor.  We just don't seem able to defend high balls into the box or clear our lines with any conviction.

We dominated the first 20min,  Alloa defended a bit better after that then scored with a deflected free-kick and then with their second effort on goal. The ref was pretty honking all match. 

Alloa tried to kill the game after that, after spending a couple of minutes on the ground and then another couple to walk off the park to get shin pands while being followed by a ref blowing his whistle and telling him to hurry up, it was good to see him go ape when the ref wouldn't let him back on. 

It was the only good thing he did though, the penalty for the ball hitting the back of Adams head and then sending McCall to the stand for celebrating a goal, which led to him being restrained when he tried to get in to the Alloa dugout. 

Ayr looked ok, defensively still a shambles at times, Adams did a power of work in midfield which made a difference , McGuffie had a disappointing game,  but always looked for the ball and always tried to move forward, Murphy was a bit better but still raw. 

Alloa look mid-table, up front they looked slow and lumbering, didn't have much flair about them and  with Meggat and Goodwin they had two players aimlessly running out of defence and getting caught. 

32 minutes ago, munro7 said:

Ooft, that's an incredible decision for the penalty!

From the halfway line it looked like it hit Adams on the side of the head, I'll be pissed off if the lino gave that as he didn't give the most obvious of throw-ins all day without the refs say so, the ref certainly can't give that even if it had hit Adams' hand as he couldn't see it from where he was.

Penalty looked stonewall tbf no idea what Adams was doing with his arms opened like that. Mental how old he looks, this the same Adams that was part of that Scotland under 19 euros team??? Looked baby faced back then I'm sure.

Seems like Alloa stole a point.

Why was McCall so ragin?

22 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Penalty looked stonewall tbf no idea what Adams was doing with his arms opened like that. Mental how old he looks, this the same Adams that was part of that Scotland under 19 euros team??? Looked baby faced back then I'm sure.

Why was McCall so ragin?

I don't think you can tell if it hit his hand from those highlights, from the side we all thought it smacked him on the side of the head.

According to McCall, the referee apologised after the game for that decision.  It patently hits him on the side of the head.  Not sure what to make of Ayr at the moment.  Is it another hard luck story or are there underlying problems?  Alloa have barely had a shot a goal and managed to score from a fluke and a phantom penalty..  if we'd scored 5 or 6, I don't think Alloa would have had any complaints.  On the other hand, the defence looks really poor at times, especially under high balls.  

2 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

According to McCall, the referee apologised after the game for that decision.  It patently hits him on the side of the head.  Not sure what to make of Ayr at the moment.  Is it another hard luck story or are there underlying problems?  Alloa have barely had a shot a goal and managed to score from a fluke and a phantom penalty..  if we'd scored 5 or 6, I don't think Alloa would have had any complaints.  On the other hand, the defence looks really poor at times, especially under high balls.  

At least he's apologised, half of them would just front it out.

53 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Why was McCall so ragin?

Probably because their keeper was sauntering about almost the whole game and Goodwin was just coming the c**t trying to go down injured for a shin pad then rolling about immediately before the equaliser, no 6 and/or Goodwin yapping at the ref constantly for 90 minutes.

Can't agree with that. Arbroath totally outplayed us Alloa didn't. We really should have put that game to bed after 20 minutes.

We started like a house on fire first ten and then let Alloa come in to it and they bossed us first half.

Will agree our second half performance was much better than Vs Arbroath, Parry had an excellent game.

I need to come on and defend all the crap that the manager is getting at the moment. But for a fluke of a goal and a terrible refereeing decision we would have won that comfortably. We have an injury crisis at the moment but when that clears up we will go on a winning run I'm sure.
That said Alloa were woeful and almost beat us!!

2 hours ago, Mgc1910 said:

The defence is a bombscare currently. Whilst we must have one of the better scoring records in the league we would be near at the bottom if a table was produced showing opposition chances needed to score goals. We obviously missed Higgins but Boyle returning will also help as although Ferguson can defend he struggles making passes which get rid of the danger. There seems to be a lack of certainty back there and a big part of this is the keeper not being able to command his area very well. Until he has some competition then we will ship goals. Whilst the defence has some work required it's worth noting a lot of problems started when McGuffie began giving the ball away cheaply midway through the first half. 

4 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Why was McCall so ragin?

Why is it a penalty for heading the ball? :lol:

Archived