The Spiders v The mighty Raith

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Loving watching raith at the minute back to front ....ofcourse games we will always come under pressure but with a solid defence (when fit) and a top four that we have ...its great to see how well the team get on ...and the buzzzzin around the place again ...when you even look at the vaughan and barr partnership ...think vaughan mention in an interview he wouldn't be scoring these goals without barr assisting. ...they two seem to have a really close bound and it does show .
Not just them all the team is chipping in ....it was heart breaking going down but I think well come back stronger for it ....don't want to jinks things but we are miles ahead of the rest .
Credit to fans aswell for getting behind the team ...we will be back next year .
Just enjoy this season ...we've cleaned out dead wood and are getting great value for money in terms of goals .
Sometimes games might be tight but when you know we've got the attacking players we have its great to feel confident well get the result .
Do feel we should enjoy vaughan while we can but even watching all the players playing with confidence is such a good feeling ...just shows you how good the team dressing room is ...all fighting for the cause and a manager who is a man manager .
Flair players up fronts all about confidence no matter who you are ...really enjoying seeing these guys playing well and the bond they have .
Loving the season and long may it continue .....hopefully we lift the trophy come may be amazing .

Terrific result again. Some fabulous goals in those highlights. Who was captain? What like was Herron?

Davo was captain, the Barr got the armband when he went off.
He was holding the bottom of his back from the great clearance he had about 5mins prior to coming off, but I think it was more about the booking than 'injury'.
Herron was good, quiet at times but I felt him and Matthews sat to deep together when QP had their spell in the first half (20mins mark until HT). I think in a few games time when he's fully sharp we will see a proper player (/or when he has maybe that bit more freedom when Robertson is next to him).

Can whoever has stolen the real Greig Spence please return him to Stark's Park? We've talked about him not being big enough or good enough in the air to be a target man nor quick enough to really trouble defenders in behind. Someone sitting near me yesterday was telling his pal that he wasn't performing because we weren't playing to his strengths, but i'd dispute that. Spence is a poacher, there isn't really any questioning that, but he's not shown anywhere near enough to be starting up front for us every week. Buchanan is a cleverer player; his touch is better, he offers more outside the box and i'd argue that he's a better finisher within it, too. He's of similar diminutive stature but he's well filled out and doesn't get bounced off the ball by defenders. Now that we have Zanatta, I expect Spence to take a wee spell on the bench over the next few games. We're creating a lot of chances, scoring a lot of goals but Spence is still struggling. He's needing to get himself in the gym with Jonny Court, someone who's physical transformation over the last few years has been impressive. Spence looks the same as he did when he was 19. I'm still sure he'll get himself 15ish goals this season, but he's certainly not been the free scoring forward I was expecting to return.

18 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Can whoever has stolen the real Greig Spence please return him to Stark's Park? We've talked about him not being big enough or good enough in the air to be a target man nor quick enough to really trouble defenders in behind. Someone sitting near me yesterday was telling his pal that he wasn't performing because we weren't playing to his strengths, but i'd dispute that. Spence is a poacher, there isn't really any questioning that, but he's not shown anywhere near enough to be starting up front for us every week. Buchanan is a cleverer player; his touch is better, he offers more outside the box and i'd argue that he's a better finisher within it, too. He's of similar diminutive stature but he's well filled out and doesn't get bounced off the ball by defenders. Now that we have Zanatta, I expect Spence to take a wee spell on the bench over the next few games. We're creating a lot of chances, scoring a lot of goals but Spence is still struggling. He's needing to get himself in the gym with Jonny Court, someone who's physical transformation over the last few years has been impressive. Spence looks the same as he did when he was 19. I'm still sure he'll get himself 15ish goals this season, but he's certainly not been the free scoring forward I was expecting to return.

I think he's a penalty box striker, but the issue is that he's not the one player his team are looking to feed.  I'm confident he'll do a job, but I think he'll suffer. Either way I'm glad he's on our books rather than banging them in for any other team at this level. Zanatta looked excellent and added a physical presence. As you say, hopefully Spence can keep working and get in the gym and bulk up a bit. 

Also, looking back, how good was Bobby Barr's pass for that second goal? First time and right into the feet of Vaughan to let him carry it past the defender. Barr deserves immense credit. I think for the last three games he's had players try to wind him up or scythe him down and he's not given a single f**k. He's scoring goals and creating plenty. 

I think he's a penalty box striker, but the issue is that he's not the one player his team are looking to feed.  I'm confident he'll do a job, but I think he'll suffer. Either way I'm glad he's on our books rather than banging them in for any other team at this level. Zanatta looked excellent and added a physical presence. As you say, hopefully Spence can keep working and get in the gym and bulk up a bit. 
Also, looking back, how good was Bobby Barr's pass for that second goal? First time and right into the feet of Vaughan to let him carry it past the defender. Barr deserves immense credit. I think for the last three games he's had players try to wind him up or scythe him down and he's not given a single f**k. He's scoring goals and creating plenty. 

Totally agree, Barr's first time lay off was top drawer for Vaughan's goal (as was his overall performance) but so was Matthews ball winning ability, his drive forward and pass into Barr, without which the goal would never have happened. Also thought Matthews gave the defence brilliant cover (as he did last week against Ayr) and his off the ball work was outstanding. He will also benefit when Robertson plays alongside him in midfield, as Heron goes walkabout too often for my liking.

The match stats show Queens competed with Rovers and at times played some good football. The real difference was the quality in the Rovers team. One of the best sides I have seen Queens play in a league game for many years. No complaints, Rovers will walk this league and to me look like they should be at the top end of the Championship rather than League one. 

I don't think Spence is playing badly in all honesty. He seems to be doing alot of the donkey work which is creating space for others to run in to. He does put in a shift every game chasing all the high balls and lost cause, whether he jumps or looks to just impede the defender is another argument. He's the only one up there that can really play that role so I think Smith sets him out to do so. Going off his previous stint at us he seems a marmite player though and I can understand why people don't think he's doing enough.

Was there not a story going round that Spence is carrying a knock and was a doubt for yesterday. I assumed that's why he was subbed.
His scoring exploits have been overshadowed by Buchanan and more so Vaughan, but he's still contributing.

There is no knock. He's been ill the last week though so probably shouldn't have played yesterday.

7 hours ago, grumswall said:

I don't think Spence is playing badly in all honesty. He seems to be doing alot of the donkey work which is creating space for others to run in to. He does put in a shift every game chasing all the high balls and lost cause, whether he jumps or looks to just impede the defender is another argument. He's the only one up there that can really play that role so I think Smith sets him out to do so. Going off his previous stint at us he seems a marmite player though and I can understand why people don't think he's doing enough.

This

.Never seen him as an out and out scorer.He works the back four which in turn provides opportunitys for the likes of buch and vaughan.Lets not discount his contribution

Archived