The Spiders v The mighty Raith

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair bad management got us in this position, not players. To early to say if we will win the league as injuries and suspensions will impact our small squad but if we can keep our starting 11 on the pitch then we should go into games knowing we will score goals.

Raith were miles ahead of every player today and definitely the best team I've seen against us in a long time. Still have no idea why Orr doesn't start. Only positive today was the performance of Jack Iredale. Looks a fantastic addition, quick, agressive and he's brilliant on the ball. Hopefully that continues  

That's a pretty frightening result when you consider Lennox, McHattie and Bene would all probably be first team starters that are out injured coupled with the recent departure of Callachan. Think we're top scorers in the country at present and joint with Celtic in goals conceded. Vaughan edging closer to a club record, two games to go by all accounts. All is rosy :)

No idea how that was 5. We were so disjointed it was unreal but anytime we got near the box we scored. Glad to keep the clean sheet and see a spread of the goals.

Still think Mckay should of started and kept Robertson in midfield.

They're just a better football team than us, with better players in every area. Clinical. Frustrating to gift wrap two goals to the opposition before the clock hit 3.10 again. Shooting ourselves in the foot.

Having said that, our season won't be defined on games against the likes of Raith and Ayr. Taking anything from either will be bonus points. I think it's going to be a long old season, but I we're capable of grinding out results against teams around us, as we showed last week.

That was, without a shadow of a doubt, the most even 5-0 win I've ever seen. A simple case of us having players who have the talent and knowledge to get into space and cracking finishing.

When we beat East Fife they were utterly rotten. Queens on the other hand, end up conceding the same amount, but put in a good shift. They had good movement and matched us across the park. However they got off to a complete howler with Buchanan before Vaughan decided to go off on a ridiculous run and finish.

The rest of the first half was all Queens. Zanatta changed the complexion of the game and scored an utterly cracking goal. After that we started putting a bit more pressure on.

At no point did there look to be a gulf in any area other than finishing.

A good result and good to see us 6 points clear. It's an utter cluster below us and hopefully this benefits us.

McKay and Berry got some good experience too. I'm just happy to watch our squad at the moment.

All the best to Queens for the rest of the season. I know it's just one game, but it's good to see that (other than the heavy tackle on Barr) you tried to get the ball on the deck and focus on the football.

27 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Not sure how Raith ended up in this div. Miles better than anything I've seen this season. Champagne on ice already imho.

Couldn't say we were below our normal standard. Plenty to learn from today.

Please see exhibit A:

Spoiler

JJsEAcl.png

Raith were miles ahead of every player today and definitely the best team I've seen against us in a long time. Still have no idea why Orr doesn't start. Only positive today was the performance of Jack Iredale. Looks a fantastic addition, quick, agressive and he's brilliant on the ball. Hopefully that continues  

Thought Summers' performance was decent. Having a left back in the squad is a radical departure.

Agree with all of that but also thought Summers had a great debut and he and Burns looked a likely combo up the left.

I still think there's plenty of promise in this team. As an86 mentioned we just need to park this and focus more where we can compete. It's a crushing reality check but there's more to come from these players. But the underlying weakness of goalscoring has to get fixed somehow. Lobbing balls at big strong defenders isn't it.

1 hour ago, rw89 said:

Highlights. Class finishing by Vaughan, Zanatta and Thomson. 

All the finishes were good to be honest. Buchanan has great technique to control the ball on his chest before firing home. Barr did well to keep his shot low as well as well. 5-0 was a bit mental. Definitely deserved to win, but Queen's Park weren't that bad. 

Terrific result again. Some fabulous goals in those highlights. Who was captain? What like was Herron?

I was there today and I actually have no idea who the captain was :lol: . I'd imagine it would have probably been Davo until he was subbed then possibly Thomson but I couldn't tell you for sure.

I think Herron will get better as the season continues.

We started the season with an extremely experienced pairing of Robertson and Callaghan in the centre of the park but with Callachan away and Bene injured(Robertson forced into CB), we're now very inexperienced in there and it is showing. As both him and Matthews learn about one other though, that should improve.

Archived