Pars vs St Mirren

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not saying for a second that I've not seen red cards given for something like this, but it just doesn't strike me as violent conduct. Pulling The last of these is another, IMO, ridiculous definition of violent conduct as most football 'head buts' would get you laughed at if that was your best shot outside the pub on a Saturday night.
I guess if this had been Goodwin, who we know has a bit of a nasty streak, then I'd have thought this was intentional - and maybe even bought in to the eye gouge theory.
Eckersley has show absolutely nothing that would suggest he'd try to maim a player over the usual 'ma baw' hand bags.
Anyway, it's all over now.  He misses Saturday, and if this has really been deemed violent conduct, he'll miss a couple more.

So discipline should be meted out based on a players reputation?

Rifuckingdickulous.

1 hour ago, Black and White Tragic said:

So discipline should be meted out based on a players reputation?

Rifuckingdickulous.

Not  what I said.

All I was trying to say was that when there's inconclusive evidence of something like an 'eye gouge', and are trying to work out how likely it is that that's what actually happened, then looking at a player's regular behaviour makes sense.

For what it's worth though, I believe when meting out punishment, a player's previous record is indeed taken in to account.

14 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

I've been much better this season honest - it's just that 5 red cards and two penalties in 6 games (4 of them reffed by Collum and Thomson) would try the patience of a Saint :angel!

If your defence wasn't made up of shit hammer-throwers then you probably wouldn't concede as many obvious fouls and red cards, IMHO.

37 minutes ago, virginton said:

If your defence wasn't made up of shit hammer-throwers then you probably wouldn't concede as many obvious fouls and red cards, IMHO.

I'm happy with hammer throwers, TBH. Both times we've won this shitty league in my memory, our defence consisted of defenders that you would never describe as 'cultured'.

Walker, Turner, McLaughlin, Millen, Broadfoot, Potter. Club legends, all, but not exactly Franco Baresi.

I'd argue the issue with our current defence is a lack of nous - as you say, it's the 'obvious' fouls that we need to iron out. And Jack Baird seems to be prone to losing his head. 

16 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

I've been much better this season honest - it's just that 5 red cards and two penalties in 6 games (4 of them reffed by Collum and Thomson) would try the patience of a Saint :angel!

What does it matter how many red cards and penalties if they're all legitimate and correct calls?

Guess it saves you having to ask why the genius known as Jack Ross has managed a side to three humpings by mid-September.

"Last man, ref, surely a red!" rolls off the tongue easier than, "ref, he has prevented a clear goal scoring opportunity, and should be reprimanded with the punishment of an early bath" to be fair?

"Our player is hurt now" also rolls off the tongue easier than "that opposition player went into that challenge with brute force and clearly intended to inflict injury upon a player of the team I support, ref" but the former isn't a rule so I'm not going to shout that at the football.

"Our player is hurt now" also rolls off the tongue easier than "that opposition player went into that challenge with brute force and clearly intended to inflict injury upon a player of the time I support, ref" but the former isn't a rule so I'm not going to shout that at the football.

What time, 3pm Saturday kickoffs presumably?

Archived