Pars vs St Mirren

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

I can only assume this red card was under "violent conduct"?

And I still, from the video at least, think that's far from violent conduct.

Bear in mind that refs are given directives and told to apply the law in certain ways. The 'hands to the face' thing is a fairly long-standing interpretation of the violent conduct law.

I really don't think Adam can have any complaints.

If you want an example of a referee applying the 'violent conduct' rule, to the letter of the law, please look up Kaka's recent red card, which used VAR. This was bizarre. There was a bit of a melee and Kaka jokingly grabbed an ex-teammates face from behind. Both players laughed about this. Referee went to the VAR, who decided that was a hand to the face, which is a red card.

Now, in that context, that was definitely the wrong decision. In Saturday's context, it was correct. That wasn't a playful push to the face. That was a frustrated attempt to pull a player out of the way, by grabbing his face. Red card every day of the week.

It genuinely baffles me, that some football fans refuse to accept things like this. Don't get me wrong, our fans are just as bad at times. A fair proportion of football fans, when they're team is involved, choose to see incidents differently and make out they're being victimised.

42 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

If you want an example of a referee applying the 'violent conduct' rule, to the letter of the law, please look up Kaka's recent red card, which used VAR. This was bizarre. There was a bit of a melee and Kaka jokingly grabbed an ex-teammates face from behind. Both players laughed about this. Referee went to the VAR, who decided that was a hand to the face, which is a red card.

Now, in that context, that was definitely the wrong decision. In Saturday's context, it was correct. That wasn't a playful push to the face. That was a frustrated attempt to pull a player out of the way, by grabbing his face. Red card every day of the week.

It genuinely baffles me, that some football fans refuse to accept things like this. Don't get me wrong, our fans are just as bad at times. A fair proportion of football fans, when they're team is involved, choose to see incidents differently and make out they're being victimised.

I'm not saying for a second that I've not seen red cards given for something like this, but it just doesn't strike me as violent conduct. Pulling < Punching < Elbowing < Head butting.

The last of these is another, IMO, ridiculous definition of violent conduct as most football 'head buts' would get you laughed at if that was your best shot outside the pub on a Saturday night.

I guess if this had been Goodwin, who we know has a bit of a nasty streak, then I'd have thought this was intentional - and maybe even bought in to the eye gouge theory.

Eckersley has show absolutely nothing that would suggest he'd try to maim a player over the usual 'ma baw' hand bags.

Anyway, it's all over now.  He misses Saturday, and if this has really been deemed violent conduct, he'll miss a couple more.

I'm not saying for a second that I've not seen red cards given for something like this, but it just doesn't strike me as violent conduct. Pulling The last of these is another, IMO, ridiculous definition of violent conduct as most football 'head buts' would get you laughed at if that was your best shot outside the pub on a Saturday night.
I guess if this had been Goodwin, who we know has a bit of a nasty streak, then I'd have thought this was intentional - and maybe even bought in to the eye gouge theory.
Eckersley has show absolutely nothing that would suggest he'd try to maim a player over the usual 'ma baw' hand bags.
Anyway, it's all over now.  He misses Saturday, and if this has really been deemed violent conduct, he'll miss a couple more.

You're suggesting this shouldn't have been a red card, based on your opinion that the rules should be changed, rather than based on the rules.

In the modern game, grabbing someone's face from behind, in an attempt to force them out of the way is deemed to be violent conduct. That's the rules, regardless of whether you agree with them or not.

It may not have looked overly aggressive and, having watched it back a few times, I seriously doubt he intended to hurt anyone. However, his frustration got the better of him, and he tried to grab an opponents head, to pull him out the way. By the laws of the game, it's a red card.

2 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

Yip. If Jack Ross had to serve a suspension a few weeks previously for pointing out the same ref had forgotten the rules about what happened after a player had received treatment, then this was never going to get overturned.

It's well known Thomson is/was a Saints fan, and so I think he goes out of his way to show that he doesn't favour us during games.

He's reffed two of our 6 league games so far and sent off three players and our manager.

I just with the people who appoint refs would realise it's not easy for him and not put him in a such a difficult position - at least not so often!

The man lives in Paisley could not see him going along to watch the old firm he would be recognised. So go along watching a small local club to keep tabs on his profession makes sense. I dont buy into this he is a St Mirren fan bloody hell look at his history when taking charge of our games.                                                                                                                                                                        Why in the name of the wee man would you appeal the red card you would have to be blind not to say it was a red card. The only injustice here is the fact the Dunfermline player elbowed Adam first yet he walked scott free.  We have huge problems  for our defence on Sunday i see us droppings three points. 

1 hour ago, Randy Giles said:

Tbf, Bobby F throwing fits about refereeing decisions isn't a big surprise. It's his pet subject.

I've been much better this season honest - it's just that 5 red cards and two penalties in 6 games (4 of them reffed by Collum and Thomson) would try the patience of a Saint :angel!

21 minutes ago, smpar said:

'Last man' is one of my personal favourites.

7 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Or 'he given the benefit of the doubt' for anyone less than 2 yards offside. Shearer loves it becouse it shows he has read the rules, pity it also shows he has also completely misunderstood them

The new offside rule, where the kick is taken from where the player is deemed to be interfering with play, still gets people raging.

Especially if the kick is taken from inside their own half :thumsup2!

Archived