Pars vs St Mirren

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Stu said:

We went from beating Rangers on Christmas Eve to a few games before the split without a win. Absolutely killed any chance of the top six. It was the sort of winless run that was commonplace under Gus, however we'd banked enough points in the first half of the season - and you were helpfully rubbish - for it not to be an issue.

I also don't think people realised quite how big an improvement we needed to make the top six. I think when I looked you needed well over 40 points - a tally we usually struggled to reach by the end of the season, let alone with five games to go.

Plus Teale was crap that first season and many of us hoped the rumours about him going to Rangers were true.

It was Danny, not Gus. 

Your point is valid though.

6 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Always thought of him as just being a slightly backward Jack Ross, tbh.

I was in school with Ross Jack and if he hadn't chosen a football career was en track for university; has remained a nice, modest guy and the only time he couldn't be described as  a grounded individual, was when he would leap to head a goal for the Pars as he did against St Mirren in the 5-1 game! 

8 hours ago, Hipster Dufus said:

14th Oct 1989.
Dunfermline 5-1 St.Mirren
Away team scored 1st then the Pars scored 5 unanswered.  Istvan Kozma hat-trick.
Do any St.Mirren fans have footage of this?

*Was this also the game where Campbell Money got sent off and Kenny McDowall went in goal?
Money was setting up the wall, shouting from behind the goal 'til the ref told him to bolt.

I have hunted high and low for any footage, even still photographs would be great, as this was a momentous day for me as it was the first day I could legally buy a pint. My birthday was announced at half time. It saddens me that I remember the Torfasson free kick the most as I was in line with it and watched it start outside the post before it curled in. I was standing in the home end north west terrace, level with the edge of the penalty box. 

It is also the only day in history that GordieBoy80 was exactly half my age.

"Kozma hat-trick" - that's all you need to say to any Pars fan that was there.  I'm sure it was right in the middle of a journalists strike which meant no TV cameras there.  Found these though:

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-141089-premier-division-dunfermline-v-st-mirren-5-1-east-end-park-28681718.html

2 hours ago, Silvio said:

It was Danny, not Gus. 

Your point is valid though.

No, I was referring to the ridiculously long winless periods under Gus - 2007 and 2009 spring to mind when we went from the turn of the year to the split with no wins.

Pars will no doubt go 2-0 up through super Joe cardle and McManus, as per Morris will turn into his bombscare self and Reilly will get a goal, pars will then grab another through sir nicky of Clark and andy Ryan will add a 4th around 80 mins, Morris will again play daft back passes and saints will score 2 late goals in a 4-3 win for the pars

49 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

It's surprising that we have a top of table clash between two teams who have not graced the top league for a combined 14 years. Would prefer a draw.

It's very surprising indeed considering Dunfermline were last in the top league 5 years ago and St. Mirren, 3 years ago.

14 hours ago, Black and White Tragic said:

I have hunted high and low for any footage, even still photographs would be great, as this was a momentous day for me as it was the first day I could legally buy a pint. My birthday was announced at half time. It saddens me that I remember the Torfasson free kick the most as I was in line with it and watched it start outside the post before it curled in. I was standing in the home end north west terrace, level with the edge of the penalty box. 

It is also the only day in history that GordieBoy80 was exactly half my age.

I was in France that day with my dad. We called the Dunfermline clubcall from his car phone to learn the good news. 

14 hours ago, Ronnie Wutherspoon said:

"Kozma hat-trick" - that's all you need to say to any Pars fan that was there.  I'm sure it was right in the middle of a journalists strike which meant no TV cameras there.  Found these though:

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-141089-premier-division-dunfermline-v-st-mirren-5-1-east-end-park-28681718.html

I see someone appreciated Kozma's efforts and decided to twat the ball at great speed towards his back.
Of course, since he was unplayable that day perhaps the ball being adhered to his body isn't such a great shock.

14 hours ago, Black and White Tragic said:

I have hunted high and low for any footage, even still photographs would be great

The game was recorded by St.Columba's "Media Studies" students (Mr.Thomas & Mr.Cowan).  DAFC must still have the tapes.
They got the sweet gig to record the games for the team after the new gantry was built.   I was told the Club would use the footage to compile wee teaser videos for punting players on.  Souness liked the one for Kozma......

The game was recorded by St.Columba's "Media Studies" students (Mr.Thomas & Mr.Cowan).  DAFC must still have the tapes.
They got the sweet gig to record the games for the team after the new gantry was built.   I was told the Club would use the footage to compile wee teaser videos for punting players on.  Souness liked the one for Kozma......

Needs put on DVD.

Archived