1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Madrid are making a good argument for the bullet being better than the ballot. Or the only option. All they had to do was ignore an illegal and widely boycotted independence poll. I suspect their motive is to distract from corruption allegations rather than upholding the rule of law and keeping Spain together. Old article but it's still going on.

https://www.politico.eu/article/spains-cash-corruption-and-construction-trial-caso-gurtel/

It is a very valid point.  If you deny folk change by stripping them of democratic means people will resort to other actions.  It was an issue that plagued the Basque Country for years.

The PNV (Basque National Party) have demanded the release of all Political Prisoners and have refused to continue to negotiate the Spanish Budget supposedly.  

It's really heartbreaking what's going on in Catalonia.  I really hope they prevail eventually and we should all support them.  I usually go to Valencia on holiday every year, think it will be Barcelona from now on, don't want to give a penny to fascists.  We go there to watch Barca anyway.